Why is my battery charge decreasing when I am charging it?

Jennifer Yang

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus Tablet is being @#$+%. HELP!

So I have the Nexus 7 tablet (not sure what year..), and recently the battery drains a lot and it takes forever to charge. Now when I charge it, I noticed the battery percentage decreasing while I charge it. Like it was about 14%, so I left it charging for about 20 min to charge and then when I checked it again, it said it was 6%!? I tried turning it off fully and turning it on, but it was still the same. Sometimes it would charge (not 100%), but most of the time, the percentage keeps decreasing. PLEASE HELP! :(

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.☺

What an extraordinary coincidence....when charging my Lumia 1020 earlier, I noticed the battery percentage decreasing. Tried another charger, same spec, no problem. Tried a couple more times with the original charger and eventually it started charging normally again, so I guess it's a problem with the charger, the USB lead, or the phone USB port....same in your case, perhaps?
I suppose that if no charge is passing into the device when connected to the mains charger, charge passes out, in my case to the advantage of the UK National Grid.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Nexus Tablet is being @#$+%. HELP!

Sounds like the battery has reached the end of its life. (That could happen even to a 2014 model if you keep using it until the charge gets down close to 0 - you should charge at no less that 40% whenever possible). Turn the tab off and leave it plugged in overnight and it'll probably be at 100% (or close to it - a dieing battery can lose 5% just turning the device on). But it won't hold the charge as long as it used to, it'll take longer to charge and it won't get a net charge when it's on. (The amount of charge going into the battery is the amount the tab is allowed to draw from the charger minus the amount being used by the tab. If the battery is old, it leaks electricity, and that's usage. The older it is, and the more it's been abused [like letting it discharge almost all the way], the worse it gets.)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my smartphone and changed the battery with no luck. On changing the usb cable , my phone was back to normal So try changing the usb able and/or charger.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing the tip. :)

I agree, the USB lead is the first suspect. A damaged or dirty USB port connector is also worth checking, as well as the other links in the charging chain.

jayce lawrie

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Most of the time it is caused by battery malfunction but sometimes it is a caused by the power IC in a phone, when the power IC is not connected properly it affects the voltage flowing through the chips so it is better to take your phone to a repair shop nearby and get this problem over.

Last edited: