5.0 isn't allowing SD card permission.

Fat Cat Ritz

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 5.0 about 4 days ago and put an SD card in my device. I wanted to download some emulators Roms for them and move everything to my SD card. My device uses ES File Explorer. I go in to grant permission to the SD card and it says "Unfortunately documents has stopped working" and the SD card never gets its permission!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The app that owns the folder on the external card is the only app that can write to it (or another app in the group that owns the folder can) - the same as internal storage has always worked. They just made external storage work like internal storage. (It's something anyone familiar with Linux, or any *nix, takes for granted - that's how storage is supposed to work. Only Windows lets any app write anywhere. It's like the wild west vs. civilization.)

ZachCoffey

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me! I was trying to create a folder on the micro sd card in my Nvidia Shield, and esfiles said I needed to give the app permission. Once it prompted me to do so, I clicked the SD card and it gave me the same message that "unfortunately documents has stopped working." I tried to give it permission on another SD card via otg and same thing. I really hope there is a quick fix to this because I move files around a lot on here.

ZachCoffey

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I've found a cure!

Its a bit tedious, but you need to move everything off the sd card (preferably back it up on PC), reformat the card so that the format is NTSC instead of fat32, and then move everything back over.

TechDude

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
The problem for me was that the card didn't have a label. Oddly enough, it was working fine until I erased it with Android which then erased the label. So, I had to put it in a laptop and give the card partition/file system a label and voila. All is well again.