Why is it so difficult to have a full desktop browser on my tablet?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
why is it so difficult to have a full desktop browser on my tablet?

I use a samsung galaxy note 10.1 (the original version) for almost all my internet traffic. I have not ever, even once, thought to need or want to use a mobile version. I have an s5 and prefer desktop version on that as well, but could understand why its there.

I have tried different browsers including stock, chrome and firefox. I am enraged that more people arent equally as peeved. I am not savy enough to create something to fix this. As the user shouldnt it be my choice.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: why is it so difficult to have a full desktop browser on my tablet?

I use a samsung galaxy note 10.1 (the original version) for almost all my internet traffic. I have not ever, even once, thought to need or want to use a mobile version. I have an s5 and prefer desktop version on that as well, but could understand why its there.

I have tried different browsers including stock, chrome and firefox. I am enraged that more people arent equally as peeved. I am not savy enough to create something to fix this. As the user shouldnt it be my choice.
Try Dolphin Browser - Google Play Store. I am pretty sure it allows you to set a specific user agent, which will allow you to always use the Desktop version of any webpage as opposed to the Mobile.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Other than Internet, which is Samsung's own browser, almost all browsers allow you to vies in desktop mode, change th user agent (although many of them change to Safari 5, which is fairly old and some sites won't accept it) or some other way to see the desktop version of sites. Dolphin is one, but not the only one. (And Firefox has an add-on that, if it runs in the mobile version (I haven't tried it) will let you emulate almost any browser, including IE.

Why don't tablet manufacturers use the desktop version of browsers? Because there aren't any versions written for Android. (You can't put a Windows program on an Android tablet and expect it to run - to Linux, the operating system the tablet runs, the program is a bunch of random bytes. The best you can expect is for Linux to crash so hard that you'll need to power off, then power on.)

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Why don't tablet manufacturers use the desktop version of browsers? Because there aren't any versions written for Android.

If I can switch to a desktop version then I should not have to have anything different. My problem is with the need for a different version at all. I am not talking about a different version of the browser, I am referring to a different version of the internet. Why aren't all computers booted up in safe mode? Its obviously safer and easier and you would have less problems right... Mobile browsers are like safe mode or AOL's version of what people can handle. It should only be used IF needed NOT as a default setting.

My point is that I shouldn't have to request my browser to change to desktop every time i do it. Maybe some people enjoy or use the mobile browser and if I was using a 2 inch screen maybe I would want that, but I am using a 10" tablet. I have tried the firefox browser and the add on. its not functional yet, at least not for what i do. I have issues with its speed and ease of use even when its working, but still not reliable enough. If I save a website in favorites set to desktop THAT SHOULD NEVER CHANGE BACK. I should not have to do it each time. I know this sounds like a pitty party and I am whining but i shouldn't be alone. It seems that i have a constant battle with switching things to the a setting and keeping it there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress