Just Rooted my S5, What Should I do With it? (Battery Help)

marlap2000

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So I recently just rooted my SM-900V Verizon S5. I have it on the latest version of android and rooted using Towelroot by Geohot (for those interested how I managed to make towelroot work on the latest version, I flashed the stock NCG kernel using Odin, rooted it, and then flashed the latest NK2 kernel again). So with people saying there are a lot of amazing things to do with root, what are they? What I really would like to know is how to improve battery life. I do have Greenify with the donation package so I can greenify system apps and I also have it running in root mode so it automatically hibernates apps. I also have SetCPU and modified some CPU settings on there so I conserve power when the phone is sleeping. I also tried JuiceDefender but after installing that, my phone's battery dropped 10% within an hour and started heating up so I immediately uninstalled that. Even with all the measures I have taken to increase its battery, I haven't seen much change in battery life. The one thing I hate is when the phone is sleeping and loosing battery. It looses battery at random times and I just don't feel comfortable using the phone a lot because of battery life. If there is anything you guys can do, either from downloading an app to flashing another power saving kernel or linking an xposed module, I would really be thankful. There have to be some people with great tips out there and can help me out with this battery problem. Thank You.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So with people saying there are a lot of amazing things to do with root, what are they? What I really would like to know is how to improve battery life.
That's not one of them.

I do have Greenify with the donation package so I can greenify system apps and I also have it running in root mode so it automatically hibernates apps. I also have SetCPU and modified some CPU settings on there so I conserve power when the phone is sleeping. I also tried JuiceDefender but after installing that, my phone's battery dropped 10% within an hour and started heating up so I immediately uninstalled that.
Good. I learned that years ago. :)

Even with all the measures I have taken to increase its battery, I haven't seen much change in battery life.
If you have email checking every hour or every 2 hours, or some other time, it uses battery. Unless you want to be awakened when you get an email, turn off polling, and set it to push.

Other than that, check your mobile signal (Settings/Battery, then tap the graph.) Unless it's solid green, you're using a lot of battery because of a weak mobile signal - maybe you should think about changing carriers.

Rooting doesn't save battery, it just allows you to run as root, so if an app needs root permissions, the phone has to be rooted for the app to work. (Greenify doing a force stop on its own requires root permissions.) You could also run Tasker to turn wifi, Bluetooth and GPS off at night. They don't draw much, bet every little bit helps.

About the only thing I can think of that would help is if you rooted using Magisk. Then you could run Magisk Charge Switch and set the charging to 80 40 (stop charging at 80%, start charging at 40%) and leave the phone plugged in all night. (Keeping the battery at 100% shortens its life.)

Also run GSam Battery Monitor with alarms set to over 80% and under 40% to make it easier to know when to plug the charger in and when to unplug it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana