How can I remove an app with administrator privileges?

A

AC Question

I have an app called "PhoneControl" on my HTC Desire 610 device which I am unable to remove.

Going through the Google Play Store, where there would usually be the "Uninstall" and "Open" options, is just an option saying "Deactivate". Selecting this brings up the following message:

"This app is a device administrator and must be deactivated before uninstalling."

So I attempted to remove it through "Settings > Apps", but the "Force Stop" and "Uninstall" options are greyed out.

I have also attempted to remove the app as an administrator via "Settings > Security > Device Administrators". In this section, my phone displays two options; "Android Device Manager" and "PhoneControl", with a checkbox marked beside each of them. Clicking the checkbox in an attempt to deselect "PhoneControl" simply returns me to the previous screen, and the box remains marked.

Please help me out if you can, thanks. I'm running Android 4.4.2

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I looked this up and it's like a parental control app or a suspected partner app. Your only chance at removing it would be to root the device, and if you are a child of whomever put the app on the device they are likely to be upset that you voided their warranty on the device. There could be repercussions to that action. Just saying. If this was put there by an ex you may want to try to talk to them and work it out so they will give you the code to deactivate, or root it and be done. Or you could always get a $30 a month minute phone.

dingdong001

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey, this is the OP (wasn't logged in for some reason when I posted).

I managed to get the app removed. Everytime I clicked to attempt to uncheck the box for "PhoneControl" in the administrator privileges section, it appeared to just jump back to the previous screen. However, I noticed that when I checked what was running on my device, there were 2 "settings" tabs shown. One displaying the settings screen that I kept being redirected back to, and the other a black screen.

When I clicked to open the latter, it popped up with a message about confirming deactivation of "PhoneControl" as a device adminstrator. This screen lasted less than half a second, before going back to the original settings screen, so I had to repeat the process a few times to see what the message actually read. There was a "Deactivate" button in the bottom right, and a "Cancel" button in the bottom left. Once I noticed this, I was able to repeat the process and quickly hit the "Deactivate" button before the screen disappeared,

This resulted in the checkbox being unmarked for "PhoneControl" in "Device Administrators", which in turn allowed me to "Force Stop" and "Uninstall" it from the "Settings > Apps" menu, two options which had previously been greyed out.

Thanks for the quick response, though I actually got it installed by accident in the first place by clicking an advertisement by mistake, and was unable to cancel it.

I thought I had best post up the solution I found in case anyone else has a similar issue.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
We always appreciated follow up posts. It's the only way these threads help others find what they need. Otherwise people are left with a lot of advice and unsure what if any of it will help with their issue. Glad you found what you needed, be careful of those pop-ups they are almost always fakes and bad news.

Posted via Android Central App

Bzow

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues with deactivating an app as well. After trying to uncheck the app, I would go to the deactivate screen but I could not actually press the "Deactivate" button. Turned out that Lux was inhibiting that because of it's overlay.

enajjar11

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Based on Android version 6.0.1, updated as of 12/6/16 on Verizon Wireless, using a Samsung Note 5:

1. Settings
2. Lock screen and security
3. Other security settings
4. Phone administrators

On this screen, you will be able to see all the Phone Administrators on your phone, in an On or Off position. To remove an app with administrator privileges, turn OFF that specific phone administrator. Then you can remove the app by (1) going to the Play Store, finding the app, and selecting uninstall OR (2) find the app on your phone within the Apps screens, press and hold on the app until the uninstall trash can at the top of the screen appears, and then slide the app onto the trash can.

I hope this helps!

Gxaxbxo

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Im having this issue with an app named psafe advanced pro did all the steps and when i click on it to disable on the device administrator screen it appears a pop up saying unfortunately settings has stopped and taking me back to a previos screen without doing any change at all this is really annoying please help

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Im having this issue with an app named psafe advanced pro did all the steps and when i click on it to disable on the device administrator screen it appears a pop up saying unfortunately settings has stopped and taking me back to a previos screen without doing any change at all this is really annoying please help
Welcome to the forums. You could try the same steps after booting into safe. Tell us how it goes.

Michael Ramsey

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
i have a galaxy s8 and i have something called (eip) and (umc) in my device administrators and its not letting me uncheck it nor can i even find them in apps to attempt uninstall.. please help i want to get these off my phone ....

Nicholas Wakeman

May 14, 2018
Visit site
So theres a app called ourpact and it wont let you stay in the settings at all i only have split seconds befor it crashes the settings app and i wonder if there is a proxy or vpn or a secondary setting that would affect yours? Please help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis