How do I get rid of PIN screen unlocking access on S5 with 4.4.4?

A

AC Question

Just bought S5 with 4.4.4 from Costco yday. Set up the Pin code for unlocking screen thinking I could choose different method later. Nope. I want to go back Swipe, but can't. No choices are listed now, except to change the PIN number. Am I screwed or can I change this without resetting the phone to defaults? Thanks!

AndroidLoyal

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
It's a personal phone and I have no other choices under Lock Screen>Screen Security. It says Screen Lock and beneath it is "Secured with PIN. I'm thinking I'm going to have to blow out the phone and start over. I just went through the manual and this is all I found that is even close: "On the Apps screen, tap Settings → Lock screen → Screen lock, and then select a screen
lock method. The device requires an unlock code whenever unlocking it.
If the unlock code is forgotten, take the device to a Samsung Service Centre to reset it." What do you think? Back to Verizon?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just keep thinking that the phone is encrypted, even though you said it isn't. I hate to ask, but are you absolutely certain it isn't encrypted? And I'm not asking if you ever encrypted it--is it possible that it came encrypted, or someone else encrypted it?

AndroidLoyal

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
No worries! I've worked tech support (it's been a few years), so I understand the reason to keep digging. I rechecked and the way I'm reading it, it's off, but here's a screen shot. Am I missing something obvious or otherwise? Screenshot_2015-03-31-09-59-22.jpg

AndroidLoyal

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Tried it and nothing. I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to wipe it and start over. I got the thing last week, so it's not like I've got a lot going on with it yet. Do you agree that I should just do a Factory reset and hope for the best?

AndroidLoyal

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Working through the Factory Reset. It's reloading everything now, from the Verizon Cloud. Was given full Locking Screen Menu. Chose "Swipe" and then checked back. Ha Ha! Guess what? No other choices, AGAIN! At least this one is the one I want, for now. Weird!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia