Why can't I upgrade to Lollipop?

A

AC Question

I have an S4 and will spend two hours downloading the software update and then when I try and install it it fails at 29% every time.

I have downloaded KIES and it says I have the latest Firmware -- so I have no idea what to do.

Keaton Robert

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Not entirely sure what "rooted" means -- like do I have access to changing things? I think so, haha.

Also no, I am in Canada. It's strange because like I said, it's telling me a new software update is available on my device (which fails to install) Yet, when I plug it into Kies, it says my firmware is current.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely sure what "rooted" means -- like do I have access to changing things? I think so, haha.

Also no, I am in Canada. It's strange because like I said, it's telling me a new software update is available on my device (which fails to install) Yet, when I plug it into Kies, it says my firmware is current.

Well rooting gives you access that most don't have, to the system. You can put custom ROMs, basically user interfaces, to change how the phone software looks and do other things. You have to go through specific steps to root it and if you have always used this phone, then you would know if you rooted it. Do you have Rogers by any chance? I've seen some Roger's customers say the same thing you have said.

You have to have like 3 gigs of available storage on the device to update. Also, have you talked to your carrier?