HTC Desire 816: Phone shutoff/restart doesn't work?

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Usually you power off your phone or reboot your phone, it kills everything and loads everything when you power it back on.
Every time I power off my phone and wait a day to power it back on, NOTHING is killed. I still have all the apps I've opened in the recent menu, a lot of apps are apparently still running in the background (in which they are supposed to be killed when turned off).
Restarting my phone is supposed to kill any opened apps, but nothing is killed as well. Everything is still running as if I've never powered off my phone or rebooted it.

How do I fix that? I've tried searching for my problem but nothing relevant at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting a phone doesn't clear out the Recent Apps--I just confirmed on my Zenfone 2.

Keep in mind that Android isn't like Windows--Android prefers to keep RAM mostly full with open apps, and so will automatically open certain apps into RAM, even upon startup. The behavior you're describing sounds normal.

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually not talking about the apps that automatically runs when the phone is turned on.
I'm talking about the apps that I use. For example, I'll open/use Gmail. It'll be in my 'recent' activity (recent apps menu). When I restart the phone or turn off/on, it'll still be there and running.
On my other phones, anything from the recent activity or apps that I've opened myself, are killed when I power off my phone and/or restart my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Recent Apps list is just that--a list of your most recently used apps. It doesn't necessarily mean all of those apps are open in RAM (although some of them may be). As I mentioned above, after a reboot, the phone will still remember your most recently used apps (at least, that's what happens on my Zenfone 2). Some of those apps might be automatically opened into RAM by the system upon restart, since it knows you were recently using it, and therefore assumes you may come back to it soon.

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The apps that I've opened are supposed to be closed. I know that I have some apps to run in the background/upon start-up, but those aren't the problem and they aren't in the recent apps.
All of my other devices don't remember/keep the recent apps open til I open them upon a reboot.
It wouldn't say "close all apps and restart phone" for the restart option and it wouldn't warn me that all apps, including recent apps, and processes would be closed when I choose the power off option.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We're starting to go around in a bit of circle here. Perhaps this is because I'm using a different device than yours. My Zenfone 2 remembers the Recent Apps list after a restart but granted, this doesn't happen with all devices--I just checked with my Moto G, and it doesn't remember the Recent Apps list.

It's true that when you power a phone down, it will close apps--this is obvious, since the phone is shutting down. But when you power it back on again, RAM won't be completely empty. If you power on any Android phone, and then immediately go to Settings>Apps>Running, you will see apps that have been opened into RAM, even if you haven't touched a thing. Oftentimes, those apps will be the ones you were just using, because the system remembers that and opens it automatically. That may be why it seems like the app never closed--it did close when you shut it off, but the system remembered you were using it and opened it back up again. This is normal.