Note 10.1 2014 or Nexus 9?

James Heald

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Right now, Im stuck between 2 tablets: The Nexus 9 and the Note 10.1 2014 (Wifi model). My budget is 240 GBP (Im buying second hand),

Whatever I get will be used for XBMC, web browsing, reddit browsing and app development (testing etc).

Id like the Note from the point of view where you have a bigger screen which will be much better for watching films on, side by side multitasking along with the S Pen which would be very very handy for mock ups and such.

But on the other hand, the Nexus 9 will have updates for years to come, it will also likely have better performance (although that doesnt bother me, I can easilly install the Nova launcher if I get a Note which I heard remedies the performance issues associated with TouchWiz) and it runs on a 64 bit CPU (with outstanding benchmark scores at that)... Those two things (being a developer) do make me a bit uneasy about the Note 10.1 2014.

Then again, my experience with Nexus tablets has been a bit dodgy and that also makes me very very skeptical about buying a Nexus 9. We also have the ram in the Nexus 9... Its only has 2GB where as the Note has 3GB which will probably make it more sustainable for multi tasking (although by the time TouchWiz is put in, maybe 3GB wont make THAT much difference) .

I remember when I purchased a Nexus 7 2012, it was so so so good but then 2 system updates down the line and it became an unusable/unstable mess. Unbearable slow performance, charging issues and many other annoying problems. These fears are probably unfounded by now, with how far they have come along with making their tablets though.

But I have looked up the Nexus 9 and I havent exactly been reassured by the user experiences either, a lot of people explain their experiences with the N9 as "luke warm" and that it didnt perform how it should for a tablet of that price range.

My worries with the Note 10.1 2014 is that I will be left with a tablet with no updates and a CPU thats less than future proof seeing as it isnt 64 bit capable. Although that is keeping in mind, Il be more than happy to flash a custom rom onto it in order to get the latest OS.

I really cant decide which would be best for me...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo