Why does my Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 say it's connected to my wifi but not?

A

AC Question

My tablet says it is connected to my wifi and says the signal is strong but whenever I try going on an app that requires internet connection, it says it cannot connect or I am not connected.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Connecting to the router and connecting through the router to the internet are different connections. You're connected to the router, but it's a local connection. Why? That's one of the most difficult Wifi problems to troubleshoot. Read Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems and try the ones that apply (obviously the one about public hotspots doesn't, neither does the dual band section if you have a single band router).

You don't have to forget the connection if the phone says "connected" - obviously the security credentials are okay and that's the only reason for forgetting the connection.

Changing security from TKIP (or TKIP+AES) to AES, on some routers (it doesn't help on most Linksys routers - they used to be the best, now they don't seem to care) will change a 1kbps connection (which will just about always time out, telling you that you have no connection) into a working connection. If you remove security completely - no password needed - (and forget the connection, since the old connection's settings are no longer valid) and that fixes it, that's your problem - a router that can't handle Android security. (I have an almost unused Linksys that I got almost a year before 4.4.2 came out. When KitKat came out, the router wouldn't work, and by the time I had discovered the problem, Linksys wasn't interested. So I bought a cheap Netgear WNR2000 and it's been working fine - with AES - ever since.)

It's going to take a bit of work on your part to get this fixed, unless you happen to hit the problem on the first try. There are quite a few possibilities, and you have to try them one by one. (Any time you make any change to the router, forget the connection in the phone - the router settings may have changed and the phone will be trying to use the old ones if you don't forget them.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non