How can you delete a media file on an Android phone from a desktop computer?

A

AC Question

Hello,
I have a lot of files I want to review and, in cases, delete, and I would like to do this from a larger screen. So, I connected my phone to my desktop with a USB cable, and I can see and view the files successfully, but I cannot delete them from my desktop computer. (I am able to delete them from my phone.)
Any ideas?
Many thanks.
Keith

KeithHoward

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi.
The phone is a HTC One M9.
When I plug the phone into my computer I select ‘Use USB for file transfers’ and the phone says ‘Connected as a media device’.
I am trying to delete from the ‘DCIM\100Media’ folder. I cannot delete, copy, or make any other modifications to photo and video files in that folder.
Many thanks.
Keith

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. You can't even drag and drop those files to your computer hard drive?

Try using a different USB cable, in case the current one is faulty.

KeithHoward

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Viewing the files isn't the problem. I can open them when I double click on them, though for some reason the file gets copied to a downloads folder on my computer first. The problem is that I can't delete the files from my phone using my computer. When I press delete in Explorer on my pc, I get an error message saying that I do not have permission.
I have tried on several PCs with several USB cables, each time getting the same result.
Thanks,
Keith

KeithHoward

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
The USB port on the phone and on the computer are fine. I can see the files that are stored on the phone in Explorer. The problem is that I can not delete them in Explorer - I get an error message saying that I do not have permission. I can delete them on my phone, but it would be far easier to delete them via Explorer. I have HTC Sync Manager installed so I believe my driver is up to date.
Thanks