How do I get rid of adware and melware and which apps can take care of the problem

Undead Artist

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to find out which apps can get rid of the problems I've been having..
List of problems
1) I get redirected to a site claming I won something
2) google play randomly comes up on my phone
3)I get a pop up saying I have a virus and to fix now
I've tried rebooting the whole phone but the problems still remains. I'm worried that my phone can't be fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried opening the link provided by the other poster but it wouldn't open for me. Anyway without getting too involved let me first say that Android is highly unlikely to get viruses or malware so steer away from antivirus apps and the like. You most likely have given an app too many permissions. Like a gallery app that requests internet access. Having said that you should first look for an app called air push. This will scan your device for apps that have permissions that are questionable and show you them and their permissions. From there you can make judgements. After that open your app drawer and in the upper left corner sort by recent. This will show you the latest things to be installed. There's a good chance your issue is in the first 5 apps in that list. You can uninstall one or more of them and see if your problem goes away or you can go back to the Play Store and read the reviews of them and see if anyone else is complaining of the same things you're describing. Read the 1 & 2 star reviews for indications of problems.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
They're trying to scare you into installing another app. It may be by the same dev or it may be part of an advertising scheme. It's just like spam. They want you to take the next step. Don't let it scare you.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but when it opens its taking you to an app, right? It's not just opening to the main page. This is because it's advertising. Whatever is opening it wants you to install the app it's taking you to. If you're lucky it's an app by the same dev wanting you to install another of their apps. Next time it opens go down to the, more apps from xyz developer, and see if any of those apps are installed on your device. If it's an advertising agreement then they may not be related. It'll make finding it more difficult but not impossible. When you checked the reviews of your most recent 5 apps none of the 1 and 2 star reviews are reporting issues? Did you try the Air Push app? It best identifies ads that appear in your notifications bar but it also identifies apps with questionable permissions. Please list what you've tried and looked at.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The app it's taking you to, have you looked at the apps by that dev to see if any are installed on your device? When you sort your your app drawer by recent in the first 5 apps is there anything you can't live without for a few days? Go into your app manager and disable them for a day or two and see if that solves your issue, then enable them one at a time until the issue comes back. That will point you in the right direction.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you open your settings, at the top there's a search. Type in permissions and go to your app permissions and see what had permission to access the web. From there you may be able to narrow down the app that's opening the adware.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I Googled adware and Tumblr and found a link to remove adware from Tumblr. O didn't open it but if there's a link for it it means others have had issues with it too. It's something to look into.

Freestyle382537

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to find out which apps can get rid of the problems I've been having..
List of problems
1) I get redirected to a site claming I won something
2) google play randomly comes up on my phone
3)I get a pop up saying I have a virus and to fix now
I've tried rebooting the whole phone but the problems still remains. I'm worried that my phone can't be fixed.

I ended up getting my browser hijacked with some message stating my wifi was running slow and to install "cleaner" to fix it, it came from apps for you xyz. I tried several top antivirus and antimalware apps and the only one that worked for me was 360 security. I have a Galaxy S3, I don't know if that really matters as I am not super tech savvy, just throwing it out there. Good luck to all with this annoying crap. These people should be put in jail for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holy Smoke

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I ended up getting my browser hijacked with some message stating my wifi was running slow and to install "cleaner" to fix it, it came from apps for you xyz. I tried several top antivirus and antimalware apps and the only one that worked for me was 360 security. I have a Galaxy S3, I don't know if that really matters as I am not super tech savvy, just throwing it out there. Good luck to all with this annoying crap. These people should be put in jail for this.

I've had this monster ad pop-up driving me insane and have been to plenty of places where we are all burned about it. And i've tried this and that advice with disappointing results. Downloaded a few useless apps that did zilch.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If these things occur while using the internet via wifi, which has been my experience, it may help to block the websites. My ISP allows that to be done, though I don't know about others. Here are my blocked sites, all of the type described in this thread, and I can easily add others any time.
e98e849fdecc4462227bbbced625e7a5.jpg

Holy Smoke

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

I've had this monster ad pop-up driving me insane and have been to plenty of places where we are all burned about it. And I've tried this and that advice with disappointing results. Downloaded a few useless apps that did zilch. I felt we're all doomed with this *expletive* monster.

Today I downloaded a free app with ZERO ads. I was skeptical, of course. But still hoping to finally get rid of the expletive nuisance. 1st scan took about an hour.

Shock! It got RID of it.
I will come back if this is just a fluke and post it. But I've rebooted a dozen times now with no popup.

The app I used is "Malwarebytes" - I found it while googling adware pop-ups for the last million hours and visiting forums of like-frustrated humans.
So far, this is the only place I came back into to report my lucky star.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others.
Oh - and it asks if you want the malware removed. I clicked YES! Poof. It's gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez