to root or not?

johannmendelsohn

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy S4. When using a banking app, will my phone be more vulnerable to malware or hacking after rooting, or will it not make any difference? Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Johann,

Rooting: "is the process of allowing apps to attain “privileged control” or “root access” within the Android subsystem. So the answer to your question, I think would be yes, it does make a difference.

I've rooted every device I had, prior to my Note 5. I've decided that the risks, out weight the needs of root. Unless you're a person to whom likes to experiment with your phone, as I "was," then go ahead, root away, but I would suggest not to, but that's just my opinion!

Chris

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Some banking apps won't work on a rooted phone but you would have to tell us which banking app and what phone you have to know for sure.

Getting malware has much more to do with the user and what they are doing online than whether the phone is rooted or not. Standard precautions should always be used.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since such a small fraction of phones is rooted, I don't think anyone would waste the time to write an exploit that would take advantage of the phone being rooted. (Yes, a virus can do more damage on a rooted phone, but that's like taking advantage of something in a 1911 Maxwell [it used to be a car] - the return you get isn't worth the work.)