Lollipop "system UI" app virus?

A

AC Question

I recently checked my power manager to see what is causing my battery to drain so much and I found out it's an app called "system UI" with a lollipop app logo. I'm not much of a tech guy but I didn't even know my phone had lollipop. I open it up and I start reading the permissions: "access your identity, read your contacts, take pictures and video without consent, disable alarms, edit SDcard, enable Bluetooth, etc." The list goes on. I kind of want to uninstall it because it seems like an instructive app... but like I said, I'm not much of a tech guy. For all I know it could be the operating system and it's just telling me what I can do.

Let me know if I just answered my own question.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lollipop "system UI" app virus?

Welcome to the forums! The System UI is a system process responsible for the soft keys, notifications tray and much more. Don't worry about it, leave it as it is.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The UI causing a lot of battery drain may be a problem. I would charge it up all the way, and use it like you normally would for a few hours. If that is still at the top of the list, try a reboot.

But like Javier said, the UI is not a virus.

Renee Gill

May 31, 2016
Visit site
The UI causing a lot of battery drain may be a problem. I would charge it up all the way, and use it like you normally would for a few hours. If that is still at the top of the list, try a reboot.

But like Javier said, the UI is not a virus.

Hi I was having the same problem, and my phone said that its a malware since I have a security anti virus checker it told me so it has me worried. I don't know if I should uninstall it since its a pre-uninstalled app. I really don't want any viruses on my phone. Plus if I do uninstall it, would my phone give me trouble?
Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi I was having the same problem, and my phone said that its a malware since I have a security anti virus checker it told me so it has me worried. I don't know if I should uninstall it since its a pre-uninstalled app. I really don't want any viruses on my phone. Plus if I do uninstall it, would my phone give me trouble?
Thanks!
Welcome to the forums. Your phone said the UI was a virus? If so, I would either ignore it, or uninstall that particular app. Viruses are very difficult to get on Android.

Maudie snare

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I recently checked my power manager to see what is causing my battery to drain so much and I found out it's an app called "system UI" with a lollipop app logo. I'm not much of a tech guy but I didn't even know my phone had lollipop. I open it up and I start reading the permissions: "access your identity, read your contacts, take pictures and video without consent, disable alarms, edit SDcard, enable Bluetooth, etc." The list goes on. I kind of want to uninstall it because it seems like an instructive app... but like I said, I'm not much of a tech guy. For all I know it could be the operating system and it's just telling me what I can do.

Let me know if I just answered my own question.

I have the same problem it a purple and says lollipop system ui I was wondering how to get rid of it wasn't on my phone before plz help me get rid of it I tryed to force stop it nothing and clear the cache but nothing iam at a loss whatn is it and how do I get rid of it

Last edited by a moderator:

makayla k

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
My phone has recently gone on safe mode and when i try to turn it off it doesnt work it stays on i have restarted my phone a bunch too. When i hold down on the safe mode notification it opens the app info for lollipop system ui and it wont let me force it to stop. What do i do i cant use most of the apps on my phone with safe mode on

GaylaJS

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I have an Android tablet & have had all these same problems & then some for several months. I just found what appears to be a very simple & easy solution for tablets & phones at the following address:

How to remove virus from Android phone or tablet | How to avoid Android malware - How-To - PC Advisor

I don't recall downloading anything that wasn't in Google Playstore so perhaps it's one of those apps that's deeply embedded with a virus. Now to identify which app I need to get rid of.

I hope this is helpful!

Docspears

May 10, 2018
Visit site
It keeps accessing my GPS even though I have my GPS disabled to sending my data I assumed back to the providers. Do I need to just open my phone up and remove the GPS hardware? I feel like when I disable a feature on "MY PHONE" that it should remain disabled reguardless of what the people who made the phone or the providers want. Kinda like when I get a hotel room and I put do not disturb on the door I don't want house keeping just walking in.