Home and Off buttons not working after Galaxy S7 got wet.

A

AC Question

About 1 hour ago I had my Galaxy S7 in my pocket when a friend pushed me in the pool and now the home button and off button are not working. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or if it is covered on the warranty? Thanks.

Hoai Phuong Nguyen

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
GS7 is supposed to be water proof. If yours got wet and have problems with the buttons, it is definitely a defective phone. Of course it should be under warranty since the phone hasn't been out for more than a year. Call your wireless provider.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hoai, it's resistant to being in water, it's not waterproof, it's not even resistant to running water. The whole thing is a gimmick. If the phone gets a little wet because you're using it in a light rain, or you spill water on it and some runs onto the screen, you're okay. If you drop it into water or hold it under a faucet, there's nothing in IP67 that says it's protected. The words "under defined conditions of pressure" appear in the spec, but no one has defined the conditions for any phone. (IP68 means that even if water enters the phone, nothing will be damaged. I haven't found one yet.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Water is getting into the phone. That shorts things. Can it be fixed? Sure, anything can be fixed. Does it pay? Not for other than knowing that you have a water proof phone (and at least a few hundred dollars less in your pocket).

Waterproof phones (Nextel used to make a few) were guaranteed against water damage. A "water resistant" phone, not guaranteed against water damage, is a normal phone with a new advertising gimmick. If it was waterproof, they'd fix any water damage.

Is there anything you can do now?

1. Buy a box of plastic bags with "Zipper" seals. Put the phone into a bag and zip the bag shut. Insert the Zipper end of the bag into another bag and zip that one shut. (Try this without a phone first.) Submerge to at least 5 feet (almost 2 meters) for at least half an hour. If the inside bag stays dry, your phone will be protected.

2. Ignore any mention of "water" on the box - the phone is NOT waterproof.

yatman60

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with just some water splashing on the phone while I was doing my dishes. Totally ridiculous that this happens on a "water-resistant" phone.

And speaking of water resistance, this document, from Samsung's own website, indicates the phone is fully WATERPROOF in 1.6 meters of water for a full 30 minutes. That is the definition of waterproof!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...CID%3DAFL-hq-mul-0813-11000946&token=6JMjXadm

I'm hoping someone starts a class action on this.....

Gabriel Mangeat

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

It happened the same to me: brand new s7, put it 2sec under 10cm of water and the home button stopped working... i was quite desapointed since i bought this phone for its robustness to water.

Anyways, i put it 12 hours in a ziploc bag full of rice and it seems to be working again quite fine.

Hope it helped.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And speaking of water resistance, this document, from Samsung's own website, indicates the phone is fully WATERPROOF in 1.6 meters of water for a full 30 minutes. That is the definition of waterproof!
Necro response but for future information:

The IP rating is for water pressure. The pressure of fresh water at 1.6 meters is 2.97psi. The pressure of a splash from a running faucet is getting close to the 30psi of domestic cold water. There's no contest - the water from a faucet can leak into a phone sealed against 3psi ingress.

Treat IP68 phones as resistant to rain, condensation and very low speed spills. No consumer smartphone is resistant to being dropped into water or having a stream of water landing on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa