Why shouldn't I switch to IOS

A

AC Question

My phone (LG Volt) is less than a year old. It's running Android 4.4.2. There seems to be no upgrade path to 5.0 or 6.0. I'm beginning to think this is a common problem with Android. Why shouldn't I switch to IOS which has been updating my wife's apple device for 3 years now?

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to AC-Forums: The fact that your Phone is a brand new "LG Volt" that runs
Android 4.4.2 it doesn't means-That is able to be Upgraded to higher Android
ver. This is a issue that only LG-Samsung Support and your
phone provider can explain, ask them for it.. :cool:

I just switched from a Samsung S4 that runs Android 4.4.2 as well. After a yr. of Not
getting any Update I traded for a SGs7 with the "Bugshmallow-version" Hehe!
Is pointless got an outdated Phone is better to get rid of..ReadYou Later

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to switch to Apple, just make different choices on Android makes. Some are better than others when it comes to getting updates out and Google has NO ability to force manufacturers to update. Apple can update their phones for 3 years because they control every aspect of the devices and with the exception of the screen size all their iOS devices are largely the same so over the course of 3 years they have maybe a half dozen total hardware configurations to support.

Android has a MUCH larger hardware base (Samsung ALONE releases 6 devices in a single year) and as a result Google has to leave it to the chipset and device manufacturers to provide continuing support for the devices. If you were to go with a Nexus device, you'd get at least 2 years of major OS updates and probably another year (or possibly even more) of monthly security updates. Only Google has committed to those time frames, no other manufacturer has committed or delivered on a commitment like that. The reason Google can do it with the Nexus devices is because they are essentially Google's development platform FOR Android, essentially the iPhones of the Android world.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I am considering switching to iOS is for iOS 10 and the new iMessage upgrades.. Everyone around me (friends and family) have iphones and the pressure is already crazy for me to get an iPhone.. It's just gonna get worse once iOS 10 comes out in the fall.. Trust me I don't want too, but I feel like I being forced by peer pressure to get an iPhone.. Apple should really open up iMessage to Android..

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
May I add another unwise-opinion on this issue. Yes! you can Sam-Gs7: Thnx

@hallux: It got a point here, when says that "When it comes to get Updates"
Google-Android is powerless to force Phone builders to Update to latest

version quickly. While Apple can doSo on its iPhones for 3yrs 'cause
it has absolute control over its iOS-9-10,.Android get tough on this.? :confused:

To jlarkins08: I agree with "ab304945" that we don't have to swing
from external pressure, but apply our own judging to Switch Phone Op-Syst..

I support jlarkins08 last sentence & quote "Apple should really open up
iMessage to Android" I'd Add that AC-Forums Open up its website to
address the FAQ of iPhone users too or is there a legal barrier.?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My phone (LG Volt) is less than a year old. It's running Android 4.4.2. There seems to be no upgrade path to 5.0 or 6.0. I'm beginning to think this is a common problem with Android. Why shouldn't I switch to IOS which has been updating my wife's apple device for 3 years now?

You should switch......I'm thinking about picking up a used iPhone to play around with and see if that's a direction I'd like to go. Already been on windows and android.....not that happy with either as far as software bugs/glitches go. I'm tired of fighting with my phones, I have better things to do. iPhones are rated the best stability wise and seem to be a use it and forget about it affair. Plus they are supported for twice as long as android flagships in the updates department.

The steep price tag for the hardware you're getting, and the lack of an sd card slot are a turnoff for me tho.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sam_Gs7, regarding AC opening up to FAQ of iPhone users. No legal barrier but Mobile Nations, the parent company for AC, already HAS a site designated for iOS discussion - imore.com

Rumor has it that Android N might make significant strides toward the ability of Google to update the OS more quickly on all devices.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Apple does seem to upgrade the OS for older hardware more so than Android phones. I usually upgrade my phone every 2 years so it isn't an issue for me. But, I keep my android tablet longer so that is a pain. If you keep older devices and want a greater chance for OS upgrades, I suggest you do move to Apple products, as there's nothing wrong with them in my opinion.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with moving to iOS if that's what you want.

What I find wrong is you comparing some cheap LG Volt to an 800 dollar device like an iPhone. When it comes to updates, the cheap end of the Android spectrum don't get much. Once you move up to Nexus and above, updates get more frequent. My old Note 2 received updates for 2 years. My present Galaxy S7 has received 3 updates since I got it last April.

As for bugs you will encounter bugs in any OS you go to. Whether iOS or not. And there will also be trade offs in exchange for everything. Just research and choose the one with trade offs you're willing to live with.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree, comparing the Volt to, anything really, isn't a fair comparison. Apples to oranges really when you're looking at an iOS device to replace it. The Volt was a year old last year and had already received it's last update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty