Galaxy Note 5 USB OTG Doesn't work at all

ThomasKK

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello, i've bought a galaxy note 5 a week ago. N920C, international version, Marshmallow 6.0.1, not rooted. I was able to get a 32gb variant only, i though that's not a problem, i will increase my storage via USB OTG with Micro SD card reader or USB Flash stick. Today i received all the parts, i've spent whole day trying to find out why it doesn't work, i've downloaded many apps to check OTG compatibility and driver condition. My device recognises the connection when i put in USB OTG cable only - when the screen is off, i connect OTG, screen lights up. Also throubleshooting apps say the same, the device knows when OTG is connected.

The occuring problem : when my phone is connected with OTG cable, i also connect my USB Flash stick / SD card reader / mouse / keyboard / another usb flash stick --> Nothing appears on the screen, file managers show nothing and the troubleshooter stops at recognised OTG cable. Other connection tests won't pass any further. Troubleshooter conclusion - "System NOT Detect USB OTG Signal"; (App name: USB OTG Checker).

After buying a decent high-end device i expect it to have availability to expand storage space via USB OTG, although it was written in phone's specification list. 90% of note 5 devices on the internet say it is working perfectly and i would like to get mine going too :|

ThomasKK

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for answer. Sadly, no, i don't have MIDI USB cable. I've tried all available formats of my 4gb flash stick (i also formatted my sd card into FAT32), none of FAT, FAT32, NTFS or exFAT worked for me. The phone just can't detect USB Drive.

Yes, i know that Sandisk dual usb drive. I also took a look at Meenova dash micro (Dash Micro by Meenova, the all new Mini MicroSD Reader), but after such unsuccessful experience i don't know if it would work :| I took a look at youtube again, all note 5 devices work perfectly with any USB OTG cable device, everything works just fine, there are no errors like mine on the internet..

I should also mention that when i look inside the OTG cable, where i have to connect USB device, i see 4 pins, the left one is slightly lower than others, i tried fixing it to the normal height using needle, but no effect. I also found a discussion in reddit. The conclusion was that OTG cable must be OTG type, not just transition from microUSB to normal USB, it also can't be "charge adapter" that doesn't carry data. I bought 2 of them (1 eur each). I will try unpacking another one when i have a chance, but i dont expect much, because i ordered 2 the same cables from the same manufacturer. How much should a real OTG data transfering cable should cost?

By the way, USB OTG does not work with any of our phones we have tried:
LG G3 (Not rooted, 6.0.1)
Galaxy S3 (rooted)
Galaxy S2 (rooted, cm11, 4.1.1)
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (5.1.1, rooted)
Nokia Lumia 930 (win10)
HTC One M7 (Rooted, MIUI rom 5.7.31, 4.4.4)

ThomasKK

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, i understand, i enabled developer options and tried all available options in that folder (MTP, PTP, etc..). USB debugging on/off --> no effect. As i found out that all note 5 devices on the internet work or find solution to make it work, i'm inclined to believe (and really hope so) that it's cable problem, i will get another one as soon as possible to test it out. I will update the therad with my results once i get the cable.

I'm using this OTG cable OTG cable - Handsfull Technology --> it says it's "suitable for data transmission from portable telephones", so the only possible option why i can't make it work is that cable came corrupted, i don't have enough tools to test it without using a phone. I've paid 0.67eur for that cable, i guess i will be looking for a bigger price in the future.

ThomasKK

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Nah, i wasn't the one ordering the cables. Even if they cost $ 0.67, only one out of two works, so this makes $ 1.34 :D and meenova dash micro is one of the most popular out there, haven't tested it by myself yet, but it's in my list! (I've heard only good reviews on that card reader)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had bad experience with USB OTG cables of whatever brand. I found everything works dandy if I get a USB that connects directly to the micro USB port. The only OTG connectors that worked properly for me was the official Samsung ones.