Can i connect a usb type-C DAC.....i have an 'ifi audio Uno'....to a Galaxy Note 9..

Jenny Eldershaw1

Oct 19, 2021
Visit site
I've bought an ifi Audio Uno DAC....the new model designed for phones, tablets and laptops.
I also bought an ifi otg connecting cable. When I plug them in, nothing happens. I have tried many things: several types of otg, a music player app which is recommended for DACs, some tweaks to Dev options to do with usb services and hours of internet searches. Even Samsung's help line chat bloke hadn't a clue. (He didn't know what a DAC was until I explained)
I have tons of music, some good cans and I want the best sound I can get. Thank you.

Jenny Eldershaw1

Oct 19, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried reaching out to the DAC manufacturer to see if they're aware of any compatibility issues?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

I've been on to ifi over the last two weeks and they've had my DAC back and tested it. It's fine.
I've been told that the first galaxy Note 9 phones, which came with AKG earphones fitted with a 3.5mm jack will not pass audio via the type C usb. On these phones it's only configured for transfer of data, Dex stuff and charging.
They said that the later versions had an AKG usb type C connector and these phones will accept a DAC. Now, I'm not sure about this and I tried to get an answer from Samsung's customer service chat line.....a real person.....but he hadn't got a clue what a DAC was for a start, and gave up!!!!
Ifi don't know about this either. Can anyone answer this, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been on to ifi over the last two weeks and they've had my DAC back and tested it. It's fine.
I've been told that the first galaxy Note 9 phones, which came with AKG earphones fitted with a 3.5mm jack will not pass audio via the type C usb. On these phones it's only configured for transfer of data, Dex stuff and charging.
They said that the later versions had an AKG usb type C connector and these phones will accept a DAC. Now, I'm not sure about this and I tried to get an answer from Samsung's customer service chat line.....a real person.....but he hadn't got a clue what a DAC was for a start, and gave up!!!!
Ifi don't know about this either. Can anyone answer this, please?

I'm pretty sure the info about the Note 9 not passing audio through it's USB port is correct. This was actually the norm back then when phones still had 3.5mm headphone ports.

You may even get better audio from the headphone jack... I'm not a DAC expert but a lot of phones back then had surprisingly good ones, and I think the Exynos Note 9 had a better one than the snapdragon (If you're in Europe, you likely have the Exynos).

I know a decent amount about audio for a casual, but someone like @LauraKnotek might be helpful here (I don't know if that tag will work lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred