Anyone having an issue where the contacts in the Contacts app are all showing "Unknown name"?

A

AC Question

Anyone having an issue where the contacts in the Contacts app are all showing "Unknown name"?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6. My Contacts app is showing "Unknown name" for all of my contacts, however, I can go to the Phone app and find all of my contacts there. I would have thought they would be pulling the data from the same place. Anyone know how I can fix this and get my contact information back in the Contacts app?

BrutalhonestyM

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Anyone having an issue where the contacts in the Contacts app are all showing "Unknown name"?

Hi,
You should be able to see your phone contacts with names in addition to the 'Unknown Name' contacts in the contacts app on the S6.
The issue is here that the contacts are synced from another program usually Outlook or Gmail, meaning that contact sync within accounts is enabled. You can either turn that off or you can go to contacts click the 3 dots, select "settings", choose "contacts to display", there you will have a list of different contact books e.g. phone contacts, sim contacts you can choose to display on your device.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't please let me know :)

fordhouse97

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: Anyone having an issue where the contacts in the Contacts app are all showing "Unknown name"?

That worked! Thanks for your help! The "Contacts to Display" was set to all. I chose "Device" and my contacts were there.

Thanks again!

krixLight

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site

I did a mass amount of scrolling to realize that my contacts didn't disappear. There is just hundreds of contacts called "unknown name" above my my real contacts. From what I gathered from other sites it may be a problem with syncing which creates all of these "Unknown Name" contacts. In my case it was syncing with Outlook email (since these "Unknown name" contacts disappeared when I chose to only display contacts from other sources. I am also suspicious that this was caused because outlook no longer sync with Facebook, but it was previously. Could all of these "Unknown name" be old facebook contacts that no longer have any root.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38