Why is the Galaxy Tab full of Apps that don't exist?

A

AC Question

I - like so many others - have come across the issue of not being able to install apps or even update existing ones very early during the usage of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 due to low storage space, despite having an SD card and all possible apps moved there (partially, I know that much).
According to my "Storage" information, I should have a bit more than 9GB (out of the 16 the device has in total) for my personal use, which is a lot. I have a decent amount of apps installed, yet none that takes up more than 500MB of storage (the biggest one takes up 310MB of internal storage right now).
Trying to update one of the heavier apps, I have now found myself unable to do so, no matter if I uninstall some apps, delete PlayStore data or obviously clear the cache (my Download Manager takes up 0,9MB, before anyone asks). Curiously, my device told me about around 1,1GB of free space before trying the update when it finally seemed to work. Afterwards, however, the app still shows as not updated and I can't use it before updating. The problem is, my storage space is given to me as 152MB now - almost nothing!

Checking what's taking up all that space, the culprit is clear - while Pictures (49MB), Audio (188KB), and Downloads (26MB) take up less than 80MB, Applications is rated at the horrendous number of 9,03GB! Now I wondered. Given that no app shows with more than 310MB occupied space and there is only five apps above 200MB (including Facebook and Chrome, both not movable, thanks very much), I would have to have over 80 more apps there, given they all take around 100MB of space! Granted that that would be ridiculous, I started counting (rounded to the nearest 10MB to make it manageable, so 15 and 24 are both 20, everything below 5MB is not counted) and arrived at a reasonable amount of 5,2GB. Where the hell is the rest of the supposedly occupied 4GB of space? I have fought with the seemingly limited storage space on the Tab for months, just to realize that it's actually not me bloating it but the device itself being full of non-existant data.

So, my question, finally, is: Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody have an explanation for this/knows why it happens? And most importantly, does anybody know how to fix it (I'm guessing the code word here is factory reset, but I really don't want to go through all the work of getting my Tab back to the point it's at right now (overfilled with nothing, I know, ha ha) if it can be avoided)? I would really appreciate any advice as this is bugging me a lot now that I've noticed.

Droic

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Shouldn't that be deleted when clicking "Cached Data" (Settings-General-Storage) anyway?
Either way, I went through every single app listed under General - Storage - Used Space - Applications, nothing (except for 150KB in FB + Messenger and the occasional 4KB in system apps).

Droic

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a suspicion about the reason behind this lack of space:
I think the Tablet keeps all the space an app takes blocked, even if you move it partly to the SD card, for it to have space when updating, as the newer Android versions require the apps to be (automatically) moved back to internal storage before updating. And afterwards you'd have to move it back to the SD manually to free up space again. Hence, if there's a bigger update and you have several apps, even on the SD card, the Tablet refuses to use the reserved space for the update, failing it. The reason behind this assumption is that after deleting one single bigger app, I can suddenly update several apps, all requiring 100MB+ downloads, in a row, without moving a single one back to my SD card! Purely logically, the ~600MB of space I had available now according to the tablet would clearly not be enough to fit in several 100MB+ apps moved back fully to internal storage plus the several hundred MB of downloads that have been added for the updates...
Has anybody got similar experiences with/explanations for this issue? And does anybody have a workaround for it (outside of formatting your SD card to be recognized as internal storage, which I could do but don't want to due to the stress that puts on the SD card)?

jpeplow

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I am having this same issue with my Galaxy Tab A!!! I have no music or movies on there, only two photos, and my apps are listed as taking up just under 6 GB of the 16 GB I should have available. Yet my internal storage says it's sitting at 15.5 GB used and I have no idea what is taking up the extra space!! I have tried deleting apps, moving apps to the SD card, yet nothing seems to move the needle much. I managed to get it up to just over 1 GB free last night, and when I woke up this morning it was back down to 500 MB free????? What could possibly be taking up 70% of my internal storage??

Last edited: