how do I lock unknown sources button, it keeps turning its self on

tonyrushton2000

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
STK phone, android 5.1 . I have Norton anti virus which is telling me to uninstall lots of apps. When I close the unknown sources button to off . within a minute it changes back to Allow unknown sources. how do I stop this and lock that button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen in Safe Mode as well? On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

tonyrushton2000

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
yes it was happening in safe mode, I have now taken SD card out and done factory reset with no backup, I have had wiwi off and data off, it seemed ok, then I copied some pics to my computer. an app came in from some where, and the allow unknow sources, was on again

tonyrushton2000

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Yes , Apps are downloading and installing without my knowledge or permission. I have done several Factory resets. The phone works fine until I turn on WIfi, then before I can get Norton loaded I have lots of unwanted apps the phone crashes, and the unknown sources button changes to allow every time I turn it off. I cant use phone with data on because it uses all my monthly allowance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like there might be some sort of malware installed to the root. This can be difficult to get rid of, and usually requires reinstalling a clean copy of the firmware. That, in turn, usually requires the phone to be rooted (and you also have to find the firmware, which isn't always easy).

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Malware authors go after companies like Norton, Kaspersky, and have learned how to avoid detection and stay silent and hide.

I would try reaching out to Norton. Not fan but they have solid expertise.

Do you by chance hopefully have a true backup phone?

Also, attacks on routers have stepped up last year. Cellular is safer. Did you try without wifi but allow cellular?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Curious if you use Norton, it another VPN.
Norton App lock? Don't know if it works well but might.

Getting everything secured and in place first.

Make sure your router is up-to-date and has a strong password - and not vulnerable to the DNSChanger and other hacks.

For browsing web I've settled on Ghostery, Bloch's ads and fastest I've seen

Mauricio Leyes

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. yes I will work on that assumption. I cant be the only one with this problem. I will search for solutions based on that. If I do find the answer I will post it back on here.

I got this virus while trying to root my phone (my bad) and since it's chinese spreadtrum, it does not have original fw posted nowhere I know, and I have tried to flash other fw with no success.
The only solution I've found so far was to use ES app locker to lock: FotaProvider, DownloadManager and PackageInstaller... So far unkwnown sources is not turning itself back on and not downloading apps after restarting phone or enabling data or wireless.