Editing permissions

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
How can I edit the permissions of an apk? I do not want to simply "block" them. Is the check LVL permission needed in apps I've bought or can i remove it?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Specifically related to obtaining apps through Google Play and modifying them:

Proprietary Notices. You may not remove any watermarks, labels or other legal or proprietary notices included in any Content, and you may not attempt to modify any Content obtained through Google Play, including any modification for the purpose of disguising or changing any indications of the ownership or source of Content.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...us/about/play-terms/index.html&token=G08t3mYO

Your desire leaves you with a 3rd-party warehouse for APK's anyway since Play Store downloads install directly to the phone. Some of those 3rd-party APK sources are of questionable merit, we'll leave it up to you if you trust your device security with apps from there.

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Ok so it's a no go on google play store. There are SEVERAL apps that aren't on google play store and aren't from places with questionable merits so can anyone DIRECTLY answer my question lol.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If there is no difference, why go through the trouble of changing the APK?
"Changing the APK" is your solution to an unstated problem.
What is the problem you are trying to fix?

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
There is a difference if you scroll up you asked what it is and i replied /: The problem is the permission themselves. If someone could respond with an answer to my question I'd greatly appreciate it.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Actually you dodged the question in reply #4 .

If the app needs the permission, then there is no difference between (1) removing the permission from the APK and (2) installing the app then removing the permission via the settings app. Either way, the app fails to run because the needed permission has been removed.

If the app truly does not need the permission, then you can install it and later remove the permission via the phone's Settings app.

kozyy

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Actually you need to go back and read because i clearly did not. If can't reply to a question refrain from posting (as previously asked). While i appreciate the "thought" your post have been useless.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My understanding of the permissions is this -

The app (say, Facebook Messenger) wants to use a "hook" (or API) into the contacts. In order for that to work, it needs to declare a need for the contacts permission. I believe, by adding the hook, it's automatically adding the declaration for the permission. Now, this does not stop someone from denying that permission once the app is installed (and breaking some functionality of the app), but in order to not have the app declare the need for it you would actually have to re-write the code to not have that hook to the contacts app in any way.

I'm not a developer but this seems, logically, to be the way it would, or should, work.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hallux has you pointed in the right direction.
If the list of needed permissions are not auto-generated based on the API functions used, the list is manually created by the developers.
Either way, the users don't get to play with the list. At best they can disable the permission after the install.

I am a developer, just not for android apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non