how do i stop phone from saying stock android has stoped

A

AC Question

I got a ZTE phone for my daughter have had it for a few weeks and it's saying unfortunately stock android has stopped how do I fix this problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It actually says, "Unfortunately, stock Android has stopped"? That's an unusual error message, since Android doesn't refer to itself as "stock Android." Are you sure it doesn't say "Unfortunately, Android System has stopped," or some other similar message?

smokefairy420

Aug 21, 2017
Visit site
Re: how do i stop phone from saying stock android has stopped

I have had this issue for months and finally figured out what the issue was (in my case). The issue is because of an app that is not working correctly with your phone's operating system (Andriod). I have heard that it can be caused by more than one app and some widgets. In my case, it was the Facebook app. My phone does not allow me to uninstall the FB app so here is what I did:

Reset my phone to factory settings and DID NOT restore from backup and set up as new device. This means you will need to install one app at a time. This is how I figured out which app was the problem. When I installed and updated Facebook then the Stock Android errors started up again. You may be able to just do step #2 & #3 and not do a reset first and see if that works.

Do not update the Facebook app or use it on your phone. If your phone auto-updates apps, change this setting in the Playstore settings to not auto-update.

If your Facebook app is already updated, go into Settings/Apps on your phone and find the Facebook app. Click on the hamburger button (3 dots) and select uninstall updates. Then don't use the FB app on your phone. If you can uninstall it, then do that.

For those of you who can't live without Facebook this is a bummer. I rarely use it and can just use FB on another device or PC so I am just happy that my phone is not giving me that error all the time.

Keep in mind that this may not be the only app that causes this problem but from what I have found, the problem is caused by an app or a widget. First try uninstalling your FB app updates then try doing what I did, reset to factory settings, do not reset from backup and instead set up as new device, update and/or install one app at a time while giving some time in between to see if the error starts up again. Once it does, whichever app you most recently installed and/or updated is the culprit. Uninstall that app or uninstall its updates if it is one you are unable to remove from your phone.

Hope this helps everyone.

AHnyc1715

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: how do i stop phone from saying stock android has stopped working

In regards to getting "Unfortunately, stock Android has stopped working" after restarting my phone, Yay, it's finally fixed. After multiple trips to local Metros and dealing with various helpers, I went into a corporate Metro. As soon as I explained it, he said stock Android has to do with your home screen. That's what's not working properly. There's a launcher named Evie that can correct it and doesn't change anything. Being technologically challenged, I said I don't download apps and launchers, you only have more issues. He said let's try it and see if it resolves the problem. I can always remove it. So we did and it immediately fixed it. It's been 1 week and I turn my phone off 2x a day and it has not happened once.

AHnyc1715

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
In regards to getting "Unfortunately, stock Android has stopped working" after restarting my phone, Yay, it's finally fixed. After multiple trips to local Metros and dealing with various helpers, I went into a corporate Metro. As soon as I explained it, he said stock Android has to do with your home screen. That's what's not working properly. There's a launcher named Evie that can correct it and doesn't change anything. Being technologically challenged, I said I don't download apps and launchers, you only have more issues. He said let's try it and see if it resolves the problem. I can always remove it. So we did and it immediately fixed it. It's been 1 week and I turn my phone off 2x a day and it has not happened once.

Shalomiyah

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi I also have a ZTE Max Pro from Metro PCS. I started having problems with my ph not charging properly, so I got a new cord. Then the "unfortunately Android stock has stopped" messages started. At first maybe once a wk then daily, then multiple times a day. I looked for a solution and dome one said hold volume down key and power button to restart ph. Did it and it worked 2 days. Now charging issue back (only had new cord 2wks) and messages bk. I did see some posted that Metro said it was a launcher prob or home screen issue, some said an app issue like FB. Well I don't have FB or FB messenger on my ph, but I did download Clean Master on my ph prior to all these issues. So, I'm going to uninstall that app and see if it fixes the issue and report back. My other concern and question is, is everyone that is posting about this issue an owner of a ZTE from Metro PCS? That seems to be a common thread.

Ben68

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
It's a home screen launcher problem.
The easiest fix is to install a new launcher. I went with the Google Launcher. I'm sure you can use others.
No need to reset phone or eliminate apps. Easy Fix!!

Babs2bad

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Hi I was having this problem too getting this message every30-45 minutes if not sooner I tried everything I read so this is something I Did I hope it works for you it's been about 5 hours now and no message yet please let me know if this fixes issue Thanks!

Settings>Apps
Tap three dots in right hand corner and tap the RESET APP PREFERENCES. Clear the CACHE and Reboot phone.

We're you still having this problem before I posted this or had you already fixed the issue if so WHAT did you do to fix it I'm asking just n case mine starts doing it again. Thanks

KPGee9

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
The cleaner app that you're using(Clean master that I read about in an article on Android Central as a "MUST HAVE" app!?!) it doesn't recognize the Stock Android App as a Systems App and thinking it's a just a "large file" taking up space in your storage so it'll delete some system functions and unfortunately I've found this out a little too late and now my phone won't even let me use ANYTHING! I'm trying to download a new launcher App as recommended but I'm getting a blank screen and the pop-up whenever I try doing anything with my phone, even a factory reset wasn't doable because it wouldn't stay open long enough for me to put in pswd(kinda glad now though) I've done the reset App preference thing and am trying the new launcher but I just wanted everyone to know WHY it's all starting! Solution -- stop being lazy & spring clean Phone manually! Lol lesson learned.

Udontknowme1

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
Do not hook your Google account up and also don't leave stock Android on. Turn all off. So far I've learned it has to do with Google and the new nextus phone coming out next month. Try that then go from there. This how I stopped my battery from draining and how I stopped stock Android message from coming up. Reset to factory settings turn off setting for stock Android do not I repeat don't not set Google to recover anything. No transfer of any thing. I know sucks but it's there later if need it just soon as you do it will have same issue til Google fixes the issue with nextus battery draining issues look the new phone coming out in a month and story of battery draining and stock Android and Google you'll find. Story that lead me to my decision to be this dramatic.