Best free antivirus 2017 for android

A

AC Question

Hi Mr Mobile,
I am looking at 3 antivirus apps and they all seem great. Avast, AVG & Kaspersky... which one would you reccomend?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mr Mobile,
I am looking at 3 antivirus apps and they all seem great. Avast, AVG & Kaspersky... which one would you reccomend?

None, there is absolutely no reason you need virus protection on your Android as long as you are smart about what you download and install outside the Play Store.
All AV apps do on your phone is eat your memory and resources.
That is just my person opinion, but I am sure others will agree.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree with the above poster, unless you sideload apps, play with public unsecured WiFi, or click on stuff you shouldn't, you should not need anti malware apps. These can't get root access or administration privileges, so the function is superficial at best..

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thumbs down vote on this matter too. Android isn't Windows, the necessity of an antivirus utility has merit for one but not necessarily the other. It might give you peace of mind to install one on your mobile device but that's its biggest benefit, you feel safer but your device is not necessarily any better off. Plus now you've added some AV utility that's using up system resources that might otherwise be used for all the things you actually do use your phone/tablet for.
It's not that Android AV utilities are completely snake oil, if you're actually having a problem than use one and maybe it will fix things, but you'd be better off overall focusing more on things like protecting your online presence and social networking services (most not being specifically tied to any particular operating system), those are the big targets these days.