**UPDATED AGAIN: Video of my Prime's Touch Screen Malfunctioning

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Here's a video I did of my Prime's touch screen acting up. For this test I used Skitch. I did some other side by side tests against the original Transformer and an iPad 2 (a Christmas gift from my employer) with regards to accuracy and sensativity, but unfortunately I did not have anyone around to hold the video camera (my Galaxy S2) while I did them. Suffice it to say, they both were very accurate in both drawing (Sketchbook Pro) and note taking, and the Prime unfortunately was some what inaccurate and erratic. Typing too, even with various 3rd party keyboards, was quite unrealiable.

I really liked this tablet in every other aspect and had none of the other issues others have stated. My build quality was spot on, the GPS worked great, and even the Wifi when matched against the original Transformer, was just about identical. Like I said in one of my other posts, I'd have gladly traded the GPS problem, for the touch screen problem. I hardly ever use the GPS, but the screen, well obviously that get's used quite a bit.

Anyway, this isn't a dis on the Prime, as I'm hopeful they will work the problems out. But I just wanted to share my experience.

With out further ado: Asus Transformer Prime Touch Screen Issue - YouTube

Good luck to anyone who has purchased one. I hope your luck is better than mine.

***UPDATE: Received my new Prime and it works great. Video of the same test as above, only now you can see the screen functions as it should: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9THIsVRtpk

***LATEST UPDATE:
Well, all I can say is I gave it my best shot. My Prime is unusable. This is my second one and I'm not interested in going through this a third time. I'm so bummed as I love this thing and have been going strong.

I got home, had some dinner, went over and sat down to do some CES reading and turned it on and wamo. Its shot. I'm not rooted and haven't even installed anything in over 24 hours. I can't even get to the settings to do a hard reset and rebooting doesnt work :-( this sucks.

This is before a reboot...
View attachment 20270

This is after a reboot...
View attachment 20271

When I click back or the alerts to get a menu nothing happens.

I'm just at a loss for words.

I guess now I'll wait a little bit before taking the plunge again.

Good luck to everyone. Hope you do better than I have.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Video of my Prime's Touch Screen Malfunctioning..

*brb gonna test mine with skitch now* (will edit later)

Okay, uploading my own video to youtube now. Will add link shortly.

edited: Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7t4ljtwVU

In short, mine doesn't seem to have the screen issue man. You sound like you really wanted to like the device. If you're patient enough, I'd recommend actually trying to trade the GPS issue with your screen responsiveness issue by going for a replacement! :)

Last edited:

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
*brb gonna test mine with skitch now* (will edit later)

Okay, uploading my own video to youtube now. Will add link shortly.

edited: Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7t4ljtwVU

In short, mine doesn't seem to have the screen issue man. You sound like you really wanted to like the device. If you're patient enough, I'd recommend actually trying to trade the GPS issue with your screen responsiveness issue by going for a replacement! :)

Thank you for trying. It's very encouraging to see yours so smooth, and might just be enough to get me to place another order sooner than later (once they become more available). With my luck though, I'd probably end up with a build issue or wifi problem. But I won't know if I don't try. I did really like it though, so I think it might be worth the risk.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I feel like the stylis is what doesn't work on the prime. My mom uses one on her ipad and it works great, I tried in on my prime and it barely worked at all.

Yeah, it wasn't very smooth with my finger either though. And I tried two different stylus'. One my old faithful Targus one and the other a brand new week old Wacom Bamboo stylus.

Also important to note is the stylus' work awesome on my original Transformer, my iPad 2, my GS2, and my wife's Kindle Fire. So in my opinion there's no excuse for it not to work on my brand new Prime. Oh yeah, plus typing was a periodic issue too :-( I was so bummed. I was one of the first Amazon pre-orders way back when, so I've been waiting a very long time so I tried everything before returning it. And even sat in the BB parking lot debating for a few minutes once I had already decided to return it.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I feel like the stylis is what doesn't work on the prime. My mom uses one on her ipad and it works great, I tried in on my prime and it barely worked at all.

Hmm, could be, I don't have a stylus to test it with though...

Thank you for trying. It's very encouraging to see yours so smooth, and might just be enough to get me to place another order sooner than later (once they become more available). With my luck though, I'd probably end up with a build issue or wifi problem. But I won't know if I don't try. I did really like it though, so I think it might be worth the risk.

You're welcome. Exactly! You won't know unless you try. Sure, you may get a different issue, but it probably won't be worse than your screen malfunctioning - I mean, with that kind of error, you can't do much of anything with the damn thing lol. I can't imagine how frustrating your experience has been. I may have a smoother screen than yours, but perhaps my GPS is toast - I wouldn't know, I don't need it on a tablet and haven't even tried pulling it up. Wifi isn't the greatest, it's good and then it's crummy, then good again, so I don't know, maybe that'll be my main issue. I say, go for it! Grab another sometime and see what happens.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I have to use a stylus for illustration and note taking. But I'm confident that some updates can solve both touch and wifi issues. I just didn't want to chance that I had a defective screen when no one else seemed to be complaining of my exact problem.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

What I find interesting is the lack of responsiveness, which is what I also experienced really bad, but no one really picks up on it or comments about it in videos.

This is a fairly lengthy video, but if you take the time to watch it you'll see that every time he goes to click on something, whether it be an icon or a key or a link, the first tap isn't recognized, but the second time he tries it is. It's almost as if the screen has gone to sleep and the first tap wakes it up. Really strange. He breezes past it each time, so it's easy to miss if you're not paying attention. But as a user if this is happening to you, it's SUPER annoying. When I was typing on mine, and I can type at a pretty good clip, I would be a sentence or so along, and then notice as I looked back that randomly every few words I would be missing letters. I NEVER have this problem on any of my other tablets. I tried many different keyboards too.

Anyway, heres the video: Asus Transformer Prime - First Impressions - YouTube

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Wow, you're right. That one seems to have your issue as well. I guess it's something else to be on the look out for when buying this. I'm betting if that reviewer tried our Skitch test, his results would be similar to yours. I still suggest you try again sometime though - it's a great tablet as you know, when you don't have one with this problem.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

Yeah, mine was even worse than that.

I totally agree with you. I'm definitely not hating on the Prime. It's an amazing tablet. I already have nowinstock.net alerts set for numerous retailers ;-) ...and now I wait :-(

bbn10s

May 12, 2011
Visit site

czm2000, I'm in the same boat as you. Wifi and GPS work great but my touch sensitivity/recognition is terrible. I compared it side by side to my dads xoom to make sure I wasn't crazy. Such a bummer considering I've waited so long for a tablet and I absolutely love this one. I got mine from abt so I'll be calling them to return it. Hopefully it won't be more than a couple more weeks till places have them in stock again. I'm gonna miss it :(

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, mine was even worse than that.

I totally agree with you. I'm definitely not hating on the Prime. It's an amazing tablet. I already have nowinstock.net alerts set for numerous retailers ;-) ...and now I wait :-(

I still have nowinstock.net set up for the dock, too...because Amazon still has my dock listed as Jan 30th-Feb 13th :-( lol. But yeah, I'm loving that site. Best idea ever. Anyway, hope your next version of the Prime, you get one like mine!

BoxArtGuy

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, could be, I don't have a stylus to test it with though...

You're welcome. Exactly! You won't know unless you try. Sure, you may get a different issue, but it probably won't be worse than your screen malfunctioning - I mean, with that kind of error, you can't do much of anything with the damn thing lol. I can't imagine how frustrating your experience has been. I may have a smoother screen than yours, but perhaps my GPS is toast - I wouldn't know, I don't need it on a tablet and haven't even tried pulling it up. Wifi isn't the greatest, it's good and then it's crummy, then good again, so I don't know, maybe that'll be my main issue. I say, go for it! Grab another sometime and see what happens.

I can't get my GPS to work for the life of me. on Grey Transformer prime 32 gig. It's really not a tradeoff you know. I need the GPS for work purposes.

I'm not having other build issues.

well,, i just notice if i press slightly on the screen with a black background, such as when its booting up it bleeds a bit of white or umm it shows an imprint kinda.. maybe i'm not choosing my words correctly but i can the pressure even though it's very light push against the light or something of that sort.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

BoxArtGuy, if GPS really is required in your list of what you need a tablet to do, I would return the Prime - out of 382978721 people only like 3 have claimed to have decent GPS.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

I can't get my GPS to work for the life of me. on Grey Transformer prime 32 gig. It's really not a tradeoff you know. I need the GPS for work purposes.

I'm not having other build issues.

well,, i just notice if i press slightly on the screen with a black background, such as when its booting up it bleeds a bit of white or umm it shows an imprint kinda.. maybe i'm not choosing my words correctly but i can the pressure even though it's very light push against the light or something of that sort.

I hear ya, but it would have been a good trade off for me since I never use GPS on my tablet. Now my Galaxy S2 is another story. If the GPS didn't work on that I'd be pissed. But if you need it, I'd definitely replace it.

I think the biggest disappointment in all of this has been the availability. If they were readily available, I might not have said anything to anyone. I probably would have just walked into Best Buy and exchanged it. Any posts would have read, yeah my first was a dudd, but got a replacement, and man, this thing rocks! End of story.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

czm2000, I'm in the same boat as you. Wifi and GPS work great but my touch sensitivity/recognition is terrible. I compared it side by side to my dads xoom to make sure I wasn't crazy. Such a bummer considering I've waited so long for a tablet and I absolutely love this one. I got mine from abt so I'll be calling them to return it. Hopefully it won't be more than a couple more weeks till places have them in stock again. I'm gonna miss it :(

I feel your pain. I've never had so much trouble returning something that was defective. You'd thing returning something that isn't working properly would be easy. But man, after wanting it so bad and waiting so long, it was torture. Now, even though it was a good experience, I miss the darn thing :-(

Hopefully more come in soon...

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
bbn10s, can you try today's latest firmware update and tell me if your screen is any more responsive? I'm gonna die if it fixed the problem since the screen sensitivity was my ONLY problem.

Let me know if you could. Thanks!

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Boy do I feel dumb. I didn't have a single other problem other than the touch screen and now I'm reading over at XDA that the firmware update this morning fixed that problem for those who had it. I had a perfect Prime in every other way. Boy am I bummed :-(

I'm encouraged though that they're addressing things so quickly. I hope I can order again soon!

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I have yet to install the update, but I'm also hearing it locked the bootloader, so if you're into that, perhaps you would have been torn on whether to install it or not anyway. But, don't feel dumb, you did what, at the time, seemed like the best thing to do. None of us could have told you ASUS was about to try to fix your issue - and to be honest, I would've thought that was a hardware issue rather than software, but I guess it wasn't. Strange how many of them did not have that software issue but others did. If you still have the money ready, go ahead and follow nowinstock.net and order as soon as you can. :) You can re-live the joy of receiving the Prime! lol

Reactions: czm2000

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the kind words. With how bad it was on mine, I was totally thinking hardware issue. Who knows, maybe it still was...gives me peace of mind :)

LOL! Great way of looking at it, I get to relive the excitement and unboxing all over again :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87