Not liking the thought of non-removable battery in Zenfone 2. Best bang-for-buck competitor?

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks,

Can I have some recommendations please for an Android 5.5inch smartphone which would be your choice for best [bang-for-buck] competitor in a similar price-bracket,... which has a removable battery? *Naturally, I want to be able to buy a spare battery when purchasing the phone.

I had my eye on the Zenfone 2,. but the thought of having only 3yrs (max) of life from it because of the life of the non-removable battery, is very depressing, as well as a waste of money :(. I'd like a phone which has similar performance to the Zenfone 2, but which comes with a removable battery so I get as much out of the phone as possible.

My 5 key requirements, in order, are:

1). Longevity, (so, removable/purchasable battery is essential).
2). Reliabilty. If the phone has bad lag and/or a history of significant faults and failures, then I'm not interested.
3). Price, (no more than £250, max. No less than £150, min).
4). Preferrably with Android 5.0 Lollipop installed.
5). 1Gb or 2Gb or more of RAM.

Non essential, but very helpful: I have a MicroSD card, so if the phone has a slot for it, that'd be brilliant. Additionally, if the phone has no bloatware, that'd be mega too.

Xiaomi?
HTC?
Lenovo?
OnePlus One / Two?
LG?
Sony?
Nokia?
Something else?

I'm in the UK, so it needs to work here and should be simple to buy from here too, (Ebay or preferrably, Amazon). Fire away with some suggestions! Thank you! :cool:

Last edited:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
^^^Silliest post ever (see above).^^^

Battery is a none issue. I get more than a days worth of like just like pretty much EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE OUT THERE.

If you need a boost of power, invest $10 with one of the DOZENS of portable battery backup packs and call it a day.

Such a simple solution.

Example: Amazon.com: Anker 2nd Generation Astro mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, Samsung, GoPro and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
^^^Silliest post ever (see above).^^^

Battery is a none issue. I get more than a days worth of like just like pretty much EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE OUT THERE.

If you need a boost of power, invest $10 with one of the DOZENS of portable battery backup packs and call it a day.

Such a simple solution.

Example: Amazon.com: Anker 2nd Generation Astro mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, Samsung, GoPro and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Agree, if there's a will there's a way. Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Agree, if there's a will there's a way. Lol

Are you two even understanding what it is I am talking about? I am NOT referring to battery-juice-per-day,.. I am talking about battery's power-storing capabilities after 2 or 3 years of constant use and daily recharging,.. its ability to keep juice,.. You DO know batteries don't store juice for very long, after 2 or 3 years of daily recharging, don't you? To assume that the ZF2's battery will continue to work as it did at the starts of its complete life-cycle, is just very unlikely. I expect that the phone will be out of action because the battery, (that's embedded into the handset), has, in those 2 or 3 years (or there abouts), has given all it can give.

As for DAILY use,. OF COURSE I know that under sustained use, they drain every day or so,.. what I am unhappy with though is the thought that the NON-REMOVABLE battery in the ZF2 will become less and less able to store its daily levels of juice, after about 2 or 3 years. I doubt the phone would work very well, (stay jucied for as long as it used to), after 3yrs. When I spend £250 on something, I expect it to LAST,.. getting a mere 3yrs out of it is pathetic.

I have yet to find a PROVEN source where to get spare batteries from,... China,.. Taiwan,. yes,. but I expect: A). Asus don't sell spare batteries for the ZF2, and B). Any other places that DO,. the batteries, (I don't think), will be safe, well-made or legit',...

NOW is my OP making sense? I hope so. ;) Thanks. :)

</close rant>

Sorry for coming across all agressive there,. I'm just feeling the need to make sure you understand exactly where I'm coming from. No offence or disrespect to either of you, is meant. :)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Who the he** keeps a phone 3+ years these days??!!??

You're argument/rant is totally moot IMO and has pretty much zero merit since, well, guess what, EVERY OTHER PHONE out there will have the EXACT same issues you're rambling on about. You actually think the phones you list will magically have perfect batteries after 2..3..4 years of good solid use, NO, they won't.

No idea why it worries you so much. It's a non-issue IMO. Get your phone and move on.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
OhAlfie, lol. If YOU want to waste all that money every 2 years, go ahead,. currently I can't afford to. I want to get the phone, have 2 spare batteries and make the phone LAST. I'm not tight-fisted, (despite what you may be thinking to the contrary),..... I'm just not willing or able to spend THAT kind of money on a device where its life-span is dictated by the FULL useful life of a battery.

If and when I can afford a new phone every few years, then that's what I'll do - until then, I have to be careful how much I spend, what I spend it on and just so you know, I like to also make sure I look after whatever it is I have bought.

Call my (current) attitude to money, frugality.
When I'm filthy rich, (like you, it seems), call it frivolity.

For now though,.. happy spending, I wish I had the money you seem to be happy to chuck away. ;)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. But I am able to set aside just enough $$ each year to get a new phone if the need arises. I have no plans to keep this one for 3+ years. Just not gonna happen.

Trust me, you will never find a phone (on your list or not) that will do what you want it to do as far as battery life goes. Just never gonna happen. You might as well just buy a $50 GoPhone or similar and milk it for all it's worth and get a new one in a year or two and due the same... you'll still be saving $$ in the long run and getting a new phone earlier to boot with newer software etc.

If you can't afford a smartphone now AND the high per month fees it takes to keep a smartphone running, then you need to rethink your priorities in life and start saving up money to live on and not worry about getting any kind of smartphone.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
If you can't afford a smartphone now AND the high per month fees it takes to keep a smartphone running, then you need to rethink your priorities in life and start saving up money to live on and not worry about getting any kind of smartphone.

You're right that I can't afford the HIGH costs of running a phone, but then I do tend to spend what I NEED to,.. thankfully that's not too much. The priorities,. well, yes, I have to think about those, you're right. I'll be putting off buying a phone for now, but when I do get one, I'll be spending light. I'm just gutted my current phone, (a Star Note N9770), has corrupted software, (wifi won't work at all, spends all the time TRYING to connect, but won't,.. other devices connect just fine, so did the phone a few months ago, but now I have no wifi).

So,.. long story short,.. I can't connect to the world with the phone, so I feel very disconnected - hence my desire to get a phone that is reliable and does what it's supposed to.

Thanks for the wisdom. For now, I'll get a PC component upgrade. :) Peace.

drbrk

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
You're right that I can't afford the HIGH costs of running a phone, but then I do tend to spend what I NEED to,.. thankfully that's not too much. The priorities,. well, yes, I have to think about those, you're right. I'll be putting off buying a phone for now, but when I do get one, I'll be spending light. I'm just gutted my current phone, (a Star Note N9770), has corrupted software, (wifi won't work at all, spends all the time TRYING to connect, but won't,.. other devices connect just fine, so did the phone a few months ago, but now I have no wifi).

So,.. long story short,.. I can't connect to the world with the phone, so I feel very disconnected - hence my desire to get a phone that is reliable and does what it's supposed to.

Thanks for the wisdom. For now, I'll get a PC component upgrade. :) Peace.

I have some old android phone and battery is still pretty good. I agree with OhAlfie that you shouldn't be scary non removal battery. After 2 years new phone is worth maybe 50%, when is used even less. If you really want to change battery after this 2/3 years you can buy one from aliexpress or ebay and tools for few bucks and do it in home, it's easy.

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Are you two even understanding what it is I am talking about? I am NOT referring to battery-juice-per-day,.. I am talking about battery's power-storing capabilities after 2 or 3 years of constant use and daily recharging,.. its ability to keep juice,.. You DO know batteries don't store juice for very long, after 2 or 3 years of daily recharging, don't you? To assume that the ZF2's battery will continue to work as it did at the starts of its complete life-cycle, is just very unlikely. I expect that the phone will be out of action because the battery, (that's embedded into the handset), has, in those 2 or 3 years (or there abouts), has given all it can give.

As for DAILY use,. OF COURSE I know that under sustained use, they drain every day or so,.. what I am unhappy with though is the thought that the NON-REMOVABLE battery in the ZF2 will become less and less able to store its daily levels of juice, after about 2 or 3 years. I doubt the phone would work very well, (stay jucied for as long as it used to), after 3yrs. When I spend £250 on something, I expect it to LAST,.. getting a mere 3yrs out of it is pathetic.

I have yet to find a PROVEN source where to get spare batteries from,... China,.. Taiwan,. yes,. but I expect: A). Asus don't sell spare batteries for the ZF2, and B). Any other places that DO,. the batteries, (I don't think), will be safe, well-made or legit',...

NOW is my OP making sense? I hope so. ;) Thanks. :)

</close rant>

Sorry for coming across all agressive there,. I'm just feeling the need to make sure you understand exactly where I'm coming from. No offence or disrespect to either of you, is meant. :)

After 2 or 3 years your already out of warranty. You can just easily but a replacement battery and install the new one. It's just gonna be several screwed removed, replace, screw again and ur done.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
don't reply to the non removable battery is not an issue crowd because for a lot of people it is and always will be. The reason why companies are doing it is 2 fold: 1. planned obsolescence and 2. government spying a phone with a non removable battery might never be truly off which is very scary.

Anyhow I would recommend spending a bit more going with the LG G4 rooting it and install a custom ROM..The phone has a removable battery, a fast processor and a gorgeous screen. If that's too expensive try the Galaxy S5 with a custom ROM

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
don't reply to the non removable battery is not an issue crowd because for a lot of people it is and always will be. The reason why companies are doing it is 2 fold: 1. planned obsolescence and 2. government spying a phone with a non removable battery might never be truly off which is very scary.

Anyhow I would recommend spending a bit more going with the LG G4 rooting it and install a custom ROM..The phone has a removable battery, a fast processor and a gorgeous screen. If that's too expensive try the Galaxy S5 with a custom ROM

Ha, I'm less bothered by the government snooping, (all I ever talk about are my bills and my depression), lol. The idea of a G4 horrifies me, it's hardly cheap,.. but, the G3 is closer to my idea of affordability, so may get that, (though on the G3, I've read several stories of the phone getting rather hotter than some users would have liked, what's your take on that?).

Lastly for now, do you have any tips/hints etc regarding the G3 as a phone,... custom root on that perhaps? If so, how, why and what firmware to what firmware? Thanks,. am a bit of a noob when it comes to knowing what to look for and what to get AND what to do. Thanks. :)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Coo Coo ....Cooo Cooo !!!

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Coo Coo ....Cooo Cooo !!!

If you try to troll at least do a better job ...Anyhow thumbs up for such an informative contribution to this thread.

Ha, I'm less bothered by the government snooping, (all I ever talk about are my bills and my depression), lol. The idea of a G4 horrifies me, it's hardly cheap,.. but, the G3 is closer to my idea of affordability, so may get that, (though on the G3, I've read several stories of the phone getting rather hotter than some users would have liked, what's your take on that?).

Lastly for now, do you have any tips/hints etc regarding the G3 as a phone,... custom root on that perhaps? If so, how, why and what firmware to what firmware? Thanks,. am a bit of a noob when it comes to knowing what to look for and what to get AND what to do. Thanks. 

The G3 is still a great buy in terms of ROM I'm a fan of Cyanogen mod, Simple ROM,Firecat and Alliance head over to xda-developers.com it's the best site for rooting, custom roms and overall customizability.

As far as the phone getting hot I've read something like that when the phone was new so maybe they've fixed it now.

another advice would be making sure that the phone supports mhl.

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

Geez man your insane paranoid. You watch too many conspiracy theory movies. Get out and enjoy reality in the real world. There's a life outside the television you know.

Besides if he's checking out this thread in particular the zf2 thread, he probably owns one... Just not a satisfied customer. Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty