Why is my Google Now always Offline unless phone on is on wifi?

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Problem: Google Now always "Offline" unless phone on WiFi

I have a brand new ZenWatch (arrived yesterday), and a Samsung Note 2 phone (SCH-I605) on Verizon, running KitKat (4.4.2). I am now frustrated with my new toy because I cannot use voice ("OK Google") to control the watch unless the phone is on WiFi. Obviously, I am using the latest version of Android Wear (downloaded from the Play Store yesterday).

At least, I can SAY "OK Google", and it brings up the little command panel, but it says "Offline" and shows the cloud-with-line-thru icon, and I cannot issue any commands to the phone. If I put the phone on WiFi, I can talk to the watch and it works as expected.

I have tried everything suggested in the Moto forum thread about the same problem on that watch. Is anyone else having the same problem, and has anyone found a solution? My instinct is saying that this is a software problem between Google Now and Android Wear.

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Phone settings > Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks:
Mobile data [on]

Unless you are referring to some other setting?

(BTW "OK Google" works perfectly on the phone itself -- just not on the watch.)

P.S. I'm also working with Verizon to see if their network is blocking the watch somehow. Anyone else have Verizon?

Last edited:

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine said offline yesterday when I had no service but was paired. (I tried an ok Google command).. Not sure if the watch was reporting offline before that... But the ok Google screen showed offline.

Besides some growing pains /general funkiness with the watch /android wear and sometimes the phone wear apps, it generally works fine..

ZenWatch + note 3 (4.4.4), vzw.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Problem: Google Now always "Offline" unless phone on WiFi

I tried an experiment... Turned off wifi (on the phone).. Ok Google still worked fine on the watch with data services only on the phone.. Hth

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Dave,

When you say "Data services", what setting are you referring to?

What I meant is that android wear does not appear to need wifi services to be on. (eg to discount that part of your issue). My reference was to the phone's cellular data services.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Mine initially said disconnected and had the crossed out cloud, and every time I tried to run Android Wear on my phone it said the app needed to be refreshed by reinstall, which did nothing. After some research a tip said to update the "Google" app. I found that it had been disabled (probably by me for some other issue), so I re-enabled it and updated it. Then the Zen connects to it and all is well. Have not tried it when off Wifi but can do that later today. Be sure the Google app is enabled and up to date.

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

bbtkd,

If you mean the Google Search app, yes, mine is enabled and is up to date.

If you mean the Google Now launcher, I do not have that installed. I thought it might be related, so I installed it, and it ate my phone's GUI. So I took it off. Horrible thing. I don't have Google Now activated, and I don't want it -- it has no functions that are of any interest to me.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Do you have the Google app for Android below installed? Google now is what feeds the cards on the watch (not the now launcher but the Google now service).. I think you do but just checking..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-28-14-38-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-28-14-38-49.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 19

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi Dave,

And Happy New Year to all!

Yes, I do have that app.

bbtdk,

I paired my Zenwatch with a colleague's Note 3 (I have the Note 2). My colleague's carrier is AT&T; mine is Verizon. I was able to use the OK Google feature with his phone. To be precise, it didn't really work, but it didn't work on my phone either at that time. But the watch did not say "Offline". It behaved exactly the way my phone does when it connects to Google but Google doesn't respond (the mic icon doesn't pulse).

So I do think it's either Verizon, or some mystery setting on my phone.

Cvalle1984

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have a brand new ZenWatch (arrived yesterday), and a Samsung Note 2 phone (SCH-I605) on Verizon, running KitKat (4.4.2). I am now frustrated with my new toy because I cannot use voice ("OK Google") to control the watch unless the phone is on WiFi. Obviously, I am using the latest version of Android Wear (downloaded from the Play Store yesterday).

At least, I can SAY "OK Google", and it brings up the little command panel, but it says "Offline" and shows the cloud-with-line-thru icon, and I cannot issue any commands to the phone. If I put the phone on WiFi, I can talk to the watch and it works as expected.

I have tried everything suggested in the Moto forum thread about the same problem on that watch. Is anyone else having the same problem, and has anyone found a solution? My instinct is saying that this is a software problem between Google Now and Android Wear.

I'm having the same problem, but not worth any external gear, with the actual phone...ALL OF A SUDDEN...Google Now keeps saying offline when in fact i am online, I have unlimited high-speed data. This started happening after the second Marshmallow update. It won't even set am apartment, or open a map. Btw, I have Samsung Galaxy Note 5...Had anyone else had this problem? What can i do to Fix it? I really find using voice commands on Google very useful and I used it for EVERYTHING...now I cant get it to work AT ALL...JUST KEEPS SAYING OFFLINE

Last edited by a moderator: