Battery Drain After ZenWatch Manager Update

Grifter73

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a much bigger drain on the battery since the ZenWatch Manager update? I would routinely get a day and a half of battery life. I could get home from work, and still be at 60%. Since the Manager updated, though, my watch battery seems to draining a lot faster. For instance, yesterday, it had drained completely and shut itself down by 3:00 PM. Today, I took it off the charger at 7:15 AM, and now, a little over 3 hours later, it's down to 46%.

Anyone have any suggestions?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed a much bigger drain on the battery since the ZenWatch Manager update? I would routinely get a day and a half of battery life. I could get home from work, and still be at 60%. Since the Manager updated, though, my watch battery seems to draining a lot faster. For instance, yesterday, it had drained completely and shut itself down by 3:00 PM. Today, I took it off the charger at 7:15 AM, and now, a little over 3 hours later, it's down to 46%.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Try resetting the device and see if that helps.

Not sure what is causing the problem. But if a reset doesn't work, then it's possibly an issue with the update or a change in which certain things are handled on the watch.

Bgrngod

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed a faster battery drain of that magnitude. Mine is draining faster now because I can't disable the "snap wrist to wake" function. The Zenwatch Manager app is complete borked right now and is perma syncing. It's essentially entirely non-functional and I can't get into any of the features that require it. They had rolled out an updated that was effective as of yesterday and that update appears to have obliterated the app. Hopefully it updates soon, since I really liked this thing a ton when the app was functional.

It's 10:46am right now, and I had taken my watch off the dock around 6:50am. Battery is at 92%.

My phone is an HTC One M7.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed a faster battery drain of that magnitude. Mine is draining faster now because I can't disable the "snap wrist to wake" function. The Zenwatch Manager app is complete borked right now and is perma syncing. It's essentially entirely non-functional and I can't get into any of the features that require it. They had rolled out an updated that was effective as of yesterday and that update appears to have obliterated the app. Hopefully it updates soon, since I really liked this thing a ton when the app was functional.

It's 10:46am right now, and I had taken my watch off the dock around 6:50am. Battery is at 92%.

Since the recent Android Wear update, tilt to turn on stays disabled at phone reboot where it had not previously. Between recent updates to Android Wear, Zenwatch, and WatchMaker apps, the crashing I had been observing seems to have desisted - though I need a few more days to say for sure. That said, it does seem to be using more power. I'll try a restart of the watch.

Grifter73

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site

I reset my device over the weekend, but I was still having the issue. I think it was from the perma syncing you mentioned. On Sunday, I removed the ZenWatch Manager app, and my battery life has gone back to normal. I have emailed Asus, but I have not yet heard back from them.

Chris Wright8

May 14, 2015
Visit site
After the update my problem was not so much the battery drain on my watch, but the battery drain on my phone (OPO). Was literally draining twice as fast. Checking the battery stats my phone was basically being kept awake the whole time. The moment I turned off my zenwatch, then my phone could turn of its wake-state like normal when not in use.

I uninstalled zenwatch manager and reset my watch. Now I just have android wear installed, and I have not reinstalled zenwatch manager until they fix it. This completely solved my battery problems. The only feature I miss from Zenwatch manager is the ability to edit watch faces (as I was using orbit, but with a black background and green hands).

malbry

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same battery drain problem, which went away when I uninstalled Zenwatch Manager. I'd like to re-install at some point however. Has anyone tried reinstalling the current version?

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing the problem at all. My watch battery life lasts all day 7AM-11PM and I keep the brightness set at the highest level.

I recently did a full reset of my HTC M7 phone after the new android update and it completely restored the battery life to my phone. That also may help the Zen watch manager if you restore your phone back to the factory settings.

Scott

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is so much better without the Asus app installed. The downside is no customization of the preinstalled watch faces.

Posted via the Android Central App