[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

artaq

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
artaq -

When you plug your device into your PC can you access the drives in Windows?

Not directly no, Windows simply registers it as an Android phone device and I can use adb.exe to interface with it. One thing I noticed is that I have to run the 'adb kill-server' command before 'adb devices' registers the nook. Also I've had to go into the device manager and search for new devices a few times after I connected the nook for Windows to acknowledge it was connected... Not sure that's something on my end or just how the driver was setup.

Anyone know if the overclock will noticeably help with performance? Also for some reason Honeycomb looks like it's running in a lower-color resolution... Is that simply low-res imagery that's included or is it actually running in a 16-bit or lower color mode? Sorry for the ignorance!

artaq

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey Artaq, I am assuimg that you have the NC with HC2 booted up and connected to the PC. Downloading both now and going to try it. You are then able to see the missing pieces of the puzzle?

Yes, download both Android SDK and Java JDK (if you run the Android SDK installer it literally will halt you and tell you where to download the JDK from before allowing you to proceed), and once both of those are installed adb.exe should work.

Also a great tip for Windows 7 users - if you wanna get the command prompt open in the folder you're currently in (say, like the one with adb.exe in it :) ) simply hold 'shift' down and right click, and 'open command window here' will pop up, will save you time having to navigate to it in DOS box... Glad Microsoft integrated that old powertool plugin directly into Windows!

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely not a daily driver yet but that's mainly because the devs don't have the full honeycomb source to work with. It's about 75% complete...just enough source to get things working...enough for the demo so to speak. There are still lots of FC's and things that don't work.

The good thing is B&N just released the source code so this will really help getting things working better.

Use winimager instead of win32Diskwriter.

The partitions are set up from the image. I don't think the full storage space is available but other people have had better luck than me.
Thank you sir. I'm heading to a Walmart on my way home today to see if they have any left.

MEngCNG2010

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got my NookColor today but am waiting for a 8 GB class 10 card to arrive from Newegg and then Honeycomb will be here!!! I can't wait. deeper-blue THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

monkeydeus

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
why is the SCDARD partition so small? I'm using a 16GB card. It only creates a 1.58GB partition. I wind up with 12GB of dead space.
Great question. Though I am only using an 8gb card, the img file itself is only 4Gb - I should have a lot more space left over than the 1.5Gb I do have left.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is anybody running this on a class 2 card? Would there be a noticeable performance decrease? I have a 16GB class 10 card coming for my EVO and I really don't want to buy another card. I wanted to use the 8 GB from my EVO

ginala2002

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a mac and a 8gb sd card. Everytime I try and move the nookhoney02.img file to the card using the terminal command shown in the directions I get, "No such file or directory." Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

monkeydeus

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have the android nook app running in honeycomb? it keeps crashing on me when i try and open a book i downloaded. Didn't try other books yet, just this one.

jay0911

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a mac and a 8gb sd card. Everytime I try and move the nookhoney02.img file to the card using the terminal command shown in the directions I get, "No such file or directory." Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You can drag the file onto terminal its works that way for me.

Reactions: ginala2002

avidatta

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
ginala2002

you have to use the exact file address for example if you have it on your desktop the code will be

dd if=/Users/yourcomputername/Desktop/nookhoney2.img of=/dev/rdisk# (your disk number, for me it was 1) bs=1m

try that, it worked for me

Reactions: ginala2002

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys... grabbed the sdk and jdk, dropped them in platform-tools in the sdk and upon entering first command am being told that: error: device not found.... anyone have the scoop on this?

Artaq, you still around to assist?

Last edited:

anon(12815)

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I've searched every page on this thread, here's MY problem...

I have the image installed and booted up just fine. Now I want to add the apk files but when I connect the NC to my MAC nothing happens. Never mounts the drives. adb doesn't see it either. Anyone else experience this?

monkeydeus

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have the android nook app running in honeycomb? it keeps crashing on me when i try and open a book i downloaded. Didn't try other books yet, just this one.

Actually kindle and nook are buggy on mine - not only do they crash,they cause the device to reboot. Is anyone running apps well?