Nook and Kindle?

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a tablet. When I'm at home watching TV I almost always have my laptop going, surfing, maybe watching some YouTube, nothing too crazy. Constantly having my laptop with me is starting to become a pain.

I've also been thinking about getting an E-Reader (preferably the eInk variety).

I almost pulled the Woot trigger the other day for the gTablet but got scared off by the display issues, and I can't justify spending $600 on the Xoom, especially if I will also be getting a Kindle.

For less than the price of a Xoom I could have a Nook (I would go with stock root at first) and a Kindle. Anyone else have both and not feel like 1 is completely unnecessary? From what I've read it sounds like the Nook would suit most, if not all, of my tablet needs.

Thanks.

Anonymark

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi ratdog,

I just bought a Nook and rooted it to get the Kindle app on it. My wife is a heavy heavy Kindle reader. She has the new 6" Kindle and the original. All she does is read, and I have to admit, the Kindle looks pretty good and is easy on the eyes. I have found that the Nook is perfect for me. It's not as nice as the Kindle for reading, but it's fine for me. The magazines, light internet surfing and checking the weather in bed are what i use it for and it's fine.

Just my 2 cents.

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought that gtablet and replaced it with the nook color. Couldn't handle the weight or the display. IMO, you NEED two devices, the nook or kindle for serious reading, and the nookcolor for serious playing. I have the color and intend to add the nook. NO way I would feel like either was unnecessary as they are very different.

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Got the NC...now rooting. Thanks for the responses.
if you are going to get the original nook_ I've seen good deals on some discount websited (esaleaday.com for example) for around $80. I have the nook cokor and use it mainly for reading, but only rarely outside. Very low brightness settings work well for me, and it works great for very-low light situations, which e-ink screens can't. With ereaders it's a tradeoff between being able to read in low vs bright light

Ridel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought that gtablet and replaced it with the nook color. Couldn't handle the weight or the display. IMO, you NEED two devices, the nook or kindle for serious reading, and the nookcolor for serious playing. I have the color and intend to add the nook. NO way I would feel like either was unnecessary as they are very different.

Not entirely in agreement here, and I've owned a Kindle in the past and currently have an NC. I bought the NC to play as a tablet, but it's 'good enough' to replace a dedicated e-ink reader.

Eye-strain might be a problem for some, but I didn't notice any serious difference between it and the Kindle. I guess I grew up staring at monitors so maybe I'm just used to it. I'm also reading on the plane, so turbulence is my nemesis, and that happens regardless of e-ink or not. And yes, I've gone for extended reading sessions on the NC. Easily 6+ hours.

It's a personal choice and since I like to travel light, the Kindle didn't make the cut. Reminds me of the day I dropped my iPod Nano and said the smartphone MP3 player was good enough.

vettypayal623

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I got both and I can assure you, if you switch to night reading mode on Nook Color, it looks much better, close to Kindle Display. But as long as Battery Life comes in, Kindle is obviously better. But I would vote for Nook Color if you consider value for the price you pay.