Question regarding OTA update with stock root build

samsuck

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so to start off let me say this is for a friend's phone and I do not currently own a Bionic.

I rooted my coworkers phone shortly after the phone came out, using Petes Motorola Root tools. The root process went extremely smooth. I didn't install a recovery or anything, my co-worker simply wanted to be on stock rom with root access.

I left everything in the ROM alone, except I removed a ton of bloatware, and he accidently deleted the folder I created for the bloatware. Now, everytime he tries to accept the update, it fails.

I understand I can use a system dump to pull bloatware and put it back on with the proper permissions but the thing is that I forgot exactly what I removed.

I am assuming his update fails because he is missing bloatware.

So my question is..

Can he go into the settings, factory reset the device, and get his bloatware back?

After he does that, does he have to unroot to accept the OTA, or will it work now that the bloatware is back?

I don't think he is that interested in keeping his root access, and I am just trying to prevent myself from being tech support for someone.. lol

I apologize in advanced if this has already been answered.

Much thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset won't bring the bloat back. Is your only problem knowing what to restore? I mean if you can get your hands on a system dump, then can you just check through it with his phone and see what he's missing?

Alternatively, there's the list in the sticky of apps that are safe to remove on this forum, that ought to have everything listed on there, I mean in the sense that you can go through and figure out what you took out.