Root Droid Bionic on Jelly Bean for dummies. In plain as plain english gets

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Droid Bionic | v4.1.2

I have attempted to follow these great instructions several times (since some folks say that it takes a few times to work). I am able to connect to Samba with my phone and can see the share files. Then I run sudo ./run.sh and the root process proceeds. After the first attempt, I started getting the same results as m_vrik, which I show below:

Code:
4443 KB/s (1578585 bytes in 0.346s)
[COLOR="#FF0000"]pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS][/COLOR]
[+] Rooting phone...
[+] Your phone may appear to reboot. Please ignore this and continue with the exploit.
[COLOR="#FF0000"]/system/bin/sh: /storage/rfs0/pwn: not found[/COLOR]
[+] Please press any hardware button on your phone.

However; after getting the two errors above a few times, I started getting only the first in subsequent attempts, and the second error seems to have gone away:

Code:
4478 KB/s (1578585 bytes in 0.344s)
[COLOR="#FF0000"]pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS][/COLOR]
[+] Rooting phone...
[+] Your phone may appear to reboot. Please ignore this and continue with the exploit.
[COLOR="#008000"][+]
[+] Motoshare 2: Motorola 4.1.2 root exploit
[+] Copyright 2013 Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[+] Version 1.1
[+]
[+] Tested on Droid Bionic, Droid Razr (XT910)
[+]
[+] Getting root...[/COLOR]
[+] Please press any hardware button on your phone.

I am wondering if the Superuser.apk already exists error will prevent the rooting process from working? I don't know how to delete the file from my phone so that the error will go away.

Do you think that if I keep running the exploit the root will finally take?

Thanks for the post!

Install failed already exists means it won't proceed at all. At this stage superuser.apk is not a system app. It's a user app. Delete it and go over every step and try again. And also I'll say again that I'm not an expert in this. But I'll research and try to help. If anybody else has more knowledge on this or know any info I would really appreciate any kind of input. I did this for the community to help root the bionic from the info I gathered. I tested it on my own bionic and it worked. I put this tutorial together from my personal experience.

Posted via Android Central App

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Having trouble getting computer to connect to WiFi while using Ubuntu. We've logged in to the network using Windows just to verify the password but for some reason, the password won't work in Ubuntu....it won't connect and keeps going back to the password screen. Any suggestions?

When you connect to your network it's just like if you had just bought a new computer. It's another operating system and you have to set up wifi. There are no issues that I know of about connectivity. Ubuntu 13.04 is a stable release. But obviously something somewhere went wrong and the only thing I can suggest is scrap the whole thing and start from the beginning again.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nuwan,
Thanks this worked perfect! Ran root checker and all is well. So how do you add app as a superuser?

Thanks again!
Motoyukyuk

Thanks for the feed back and I'm glad it worked for you. Now how do you add app as a super user. When you install any app that require root permissions, at first run when you open it it'll ask you if you want to grant or deny. Most famous apps are safe like Root Explorer, Titanium Backup which I personally use and recommend. But the first thing you should do is make the su app a system app. Right after this process it's only a user app. And I'd suggest getting voo doo root keeper and use it to do a back up just to be safe. It's a free app to protect root. And also I'd recommend getting safestrap recovery and use that instead of factory recovery. With safe strap you can partition your phone to 4 slots and you can run a different ROM on each slot. And do back ups. I don't think it's in the play store but you can Google it and get the apk file and instructions. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions

midtown99

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
step 15
how do I enter this.
whats comes after: cd /tmp/share
do I put it all on the same like or what.

I did as display but that register to view link confusing me. this is a scam huh.

- - - Updated - - -

step 15
how do I enter this.

I did as display but that register to view link confusing me. this is a scam huh.

midtown99

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
when I enter the command
sudo restart smbd
it say that it is an unknown job.

also whn I place the command sudo apt-get install samba
am I supposed to hit Y or n for additional space because there is not anything in the directs that even make it seem as if I am supposed to be ask that question

midtown99

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
at step 14 I get this

restart: Unknown job: smbd

what is that all about. this is starting to **** me off I follow this crap as you say and this **** happens every damn time wtf give here

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
step 15
how do I enter this.

- - - Updated - - -

step 15
how do I enter this.

OK looks like you got a bunch of things going wrong. And no this isn't a scam! Android Central blocks certain things with the msg "register to view" because......they want you to register. Then you can view. I'll put the info here but if it gets blocked it isn't my fault. Idk how all that works. They decide what gets blocked. Enter all this exactly the way it is in to the terminal hitting enter at the end for each line.
cd /tmp/share
wget http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz
tar xvf motoshare2.tgz
sudo chmod 755 run.sh

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AC Forums mobile app

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
when I enter the command
sudo restart smbd
it say that it is an unknown job.

also whn I place the command sudo apt-get install samba
am I supposed to hit Y or n for additional space because there is not anything in the directs that even make it seem as if I am supposed to be ask that question

Now you asked about step 15 and now step 6 and step 14? At 6 you have enough space. When you run ubantu you have plenty unless you downloaded other things and used up a lot of space. At 14 that means you didn't set up samba correctly. If you don't do everything on this tutorial the exact way it's written, this method will not work.

namgod

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Okay... tried the easy method a few times from different computers with no errors but no root. Tried this method, to eliminate the virtual machine, no errors and root checker says I have root sometimes yes sometimes no. Programs that require root say no. So I'd like to know how to push the superuser app to the system. It needs a binary update and superuser fixer says it's not installed. Thanks.

namgod

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I can't move superuser without root access. Kind of a catch 22. Programs that can move the su.apk need root to run look for su.apk in /system/app.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay... tried the easy method a few times from different computers with no errors but no root. Tried this method, to eliminate the virtual machine, no errors and root checker says I have root sometimes yes sometimes no. Programs that require root say no. So I'd like to know how to push the superuser app to the system. It needs a binary update and superuser fixer says it's not installed. Thanks.

I'll look into this and pm you. That's strange it says you have root at times and no at other times. And even at user app status, super user can update the binary through play store. So right now you can't have any apps with su permissions? Root explore, titanium backup? And yes you have to be rooted to even see your system files, and then change it to r/w.

namgod

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. Apps fail to receive su permissions. Tested with "Root Explorer" and "Titanium Backup".

"Root Checker Basic" by joeykrim is the only one that says I have root access. If I run "Root Checker" from Android Tools it says "no access" under Root access. It does say SU found in [/system/xbin/./system/bin/]. On occasion "Root Checker Basic" by joeykrim will say "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access." Thanks for the quick reply, btw.

Last edited:

eiht

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Excellent root method. Works great. As of today, 11-17-2013 be careful not to let this Clockworkmod Superuser update itself. I had root, installed Safestrap, started getting everything setup and then lost root in a stock JB slot I was running. I went back into stock and had root then as I was looking around the update took and asked to update the binary and from there I lost root in Stock. Meaning I couldn't upgrade and downgrade SS(I like 3.65 but Liquid needs SS3.11). I FXZ'd again and while I had root I installed SuperSu and now all is well again. So after rooting immediately go into play and turn auto update off on superuser. Hope this helps someone. I'm sure a fix will come and fix this but unless I have time to waste I'll never know:)

Sent from my Bionic

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just to update on this thread, i f'ed something up on my bionic yesterday and my stock rom slot on safestrap failed!! So i had to flash the fxz file on it and doing that you lose root. It's like a brand new phone when you flash the official fxz file to your phone. But i gained root through this method today and i'll say please read the whole tutorial and do the steps word for word. This method works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87