root?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It is built of a stock rom but it basically replaceses blur with stock Android so basically you have a d2 that has the same rom as like the d1 or a n1

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You can delete it with apps like root explorer or just rename it like I did. After the name of the app add .bak and the app will no longer show up in your app drawer

hackk

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey Thebizz, I know this is my first post, but I had to register to ask you to do the same favor for me, if thats ok?

But I have a few questions first, I already rooted with DoRoot, and it worked pretty well, but I would love to get my hands on Z4root so I can unroot if needed.

Second question, If Im already rooted with DoRoot, will Z4root just overwrite it?

and final question, If you are sending it via PM, how do I get it on my phone? Is it still an app? Or do I have to download the zip file, and move it into my root file?

I dont know why this stuff is so hard for me. Im great with PC's, and Im pretty technically inclined, but for some reason, this whole rooting thing just does NOT work well with my brain. I think the main problem is I find so many articles and "how to's" for other phones, or the D2 with another version, but I have no idea what EXACTLY works for my D2 with 2.3.2...

I just feel ******ed when I try to mod my phone. Not knowing what things mentioned are apps, and what are computer downloads... I am only rooted, and nothing more... and I want to customize it all. Any links that are SPECIFIC to my phone? Or any basic walkthroughs for applying ROMS, clocking/volting, etc.? and trust me, I've done my searches, for about two weeks now, so Im coming to you guys in a last ditch effort

I really appreciate it

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ill shoot it to you also install is easy just download it tap on it from the phone and you should be prompted to installed. You can use the app to reroot your phone only needed if your having issues with root. And the questions are cool the whole rooting thing was alien to me at one point also but I learned alot from the d1 and had fun while doing it

hackk

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
the whole rooting thing was alien

You hit the nail on the head, all the abbreviations, and vague descriptions of apps make my head spin... Probably my MAIN problem, my D2 is my first smart phone. I paid for the sprint mobile broadband card for years, so I never had any reason to upgrade until I learned about tether, so I am WAY behind the curve on everything. I just hate feeling stupid about something that I know is so easy once I translate all the forum talk.

Is there anywhere on this site, or others that list applications that are compatible with our specific phone? And even better, descriptions of those apps?

hackk

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Once rooted you can get bootstrap which will load clockworkmod for you, and allow you to do nandroid backups. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps plus their data. As far as other apps it depends om what you want to do

This post of yours for example, can you explain a bit more what steps to take for all those items? Do I go to the market and get "bootstrap", which will also load clockworkmod, thus allowing me to nandroid backup? Same question for titanium...

Thanks, and hopefully my questions can answer 100's of other people questions that just dont bother to post

BenSWoodruff

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind. There's a link to download the z4root on xda forums under Samsung galaxy i9000 thread. Thanks anyway!
Question is, what's next? I want to use my temp root to see if a permanent root is worth it. The D2 is okay stock, but I'd prefer a smoother experience with better battery life.

AJMetal87

Oct 21, 2010
www.facebook.com
Once rooted you can get bootstrap which will load clockworkmod for you, and allow you to do nandroid backups. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps plus their data. As far as other apps it depends om what you want to do

What exactly does bootstrap do? I have Rom manager already installed, and with that i am able to flash clockworkmod recovery giving me access to nandroid backups. I dont see the purpose of bootstrap...but then again I dont know anything about it. Can someone pelase enlighten me?

Also, I dont mean to hijack this thread, Thought it might pertain.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I see in your sig corydunbar that you have your D2 underclocked to 800 MHz, on ultra low voltage. What is the regular setting, and does the new one make a significant difference in battery life?

clockspeed
for tasks that aren't going to require longterm computation 800MHz will provide better battery life than 1GHz. Jerry (gbhill) says it best. Paraphrased "It costs a lot of money (battery life) to build and operate a 1000 lane interstate, and it costs a little less money (battery life) to build and operate a 800 lane interstate. Now if you only have 700 lanes being used, the extra lanes were just a waste of money (battery life).

As for voltage thats more like getting a change in your miles per gallon (MPGs).
It sort of breaks down like this:
Super High voltage: JSF Fighter jet
High voltage: Nascar
Medium voltage:Ford F-150
low voltage: Toyota Prius
Ultra Low voltage: Vespa scooter

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Not a whole lot of info on that one. It just spins round and round. No info on how long I'm suppose to wait or if any of my settings are causing it to not work.

It's just "oh hey download this and click on it!".

Me no likey.

Z4Root is no longer available in the market so you will have to fine it on XDA from the developer, plus it will avoid you from getting any false versions.

But here is what you do with z4ROOT:
1) download it from XDA
2) side load it to your device
3) open the app
4) it will present you with two options if you are unrooted (temporary root or permanent root)
5) select the root method you'd like and let it run.
6) when finished you will be rooted according to what you selected.
7) now you can use root apps such as "wireless tether for root users"
8) if you no longer want to be rooted open up z4root and just select the unroot button

When rooting i highly suggest doing a nandroid backup, because you may alter some critical files by accident if you don't know what you are doing.

their is another thread labeled "backup" for exact instructions

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head, all the abbreviations, and vague descriptions of apps make my head spin... Probably my MAIN problem, my D2 is my first smart phone. I paid for the sprint mobile broadband card for years, so I never had any reason to upgrade until I learned about tether, so I am WAY behind the curve on everything. I just hate feeling stupid about something that I know is so easy once I translate all the forum talk.

Is there anywhere on this site, or others that list applications that are compatible with our specific phone? And even better, descriptions of those apps?

can you clarify? apps that root the Droid 2/Global or root apps that add functionality?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
What exactly does bootstrap do? I have Rom manager already installed, and with that i am able to flash clockworkmod recovery giving me access to nandroid backups. I dont see the purpose of bootstrap...but then again I dont know anything about it. Can someone pelase enlighten me?

Also, I dont mean to hijack this thread, Thought it might pertain.

If you dont use the droid 2 bootstrap rom manager shouldn't be able to backup your system image. what that means is rom manager is likely just saying success even though it isn't. the bootstrap allows you device to boot up in the factory recovery and then it switches it after the stock software has been checked. Maybe the latest clockwork recovery has the bootstrap built in which is allowing access to clockwork recovery. the safest bet is to just used the tried and trusted method of bootstrap.

Also bootstrap has a function to prevent bootloops and lockouts. if you device is in a bootloop, bootstrap will open your device into the recovery where you can do things like wipe data and cache (most common cause of a bootloop).

also from the recovery you can just select reboot now and it it will startup with clockwork recovery instead of the stock image.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress