[How-To] Root the Droid 2 for newbies

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooting your Droid2 while on the latest firmware is pretty darn easy. It can be done using an application you install on your phone, called z4root.

This application isn't available in the market, but thats a small hurdle and easy to overcome. All you need is a file browser, and your USB cable :)

File browser -- if you don't have one, I suggest Astro. There are many others, but Astro is very simple to use and I highly recommend it to those who might be new to the Android platform. Search for "Astro file manager" in the Android Market, and install it on your phone.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
  1. On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
  2. Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it :)
  3. Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
  4. Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
  5. Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
  6. Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Thankya sir!
It should be mentioned (as it isn't in the first post on XDA) that it may be necessary to run z4 a couple of times to get it rooted.
I'd also suggest getting clockwork and making your first backup after rooting and BEFORE messing with anything else ;)

Arikara

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
How do you know when your phone is rooted? I did everything it said? It gives me the window of temporary root, or permanent. I chose temporary? it said it was, but not sure? How can I test it?

thomashedd1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed this does work on Droid 2 Global, and it works like it says. You should get the droid 2 bootstrap recovery to make a backup. Find it in the market or for free on xda.

DedFulGr8

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
A hearty THANK YOU

I want to thank you for the gr8 instructions...being a newbie can be maddening.

I do have a question regarding some changes that were made prior to install, specially 'unknown resources' and 'USB debugging'...should these be unchecked or left checked?

I hope I don't embarrass myself. :eek:

DedfulGr8

Currently in BB rehab...

Ain't no Time To Hate, Barley Time To Wait
-Jerry Garcia

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I want to thank you for the gr8 instructions...being a newbie can be maddening.

I do have a question regarding some changes that were made prior to install, specially 'unknown resources' and 'USB debugging'...should these be unchecked or left checked?

No worries, we all were newbies at one time. Good questions, there is no reason to leave either checked. You prob won't have to use "USB Debugging" after you are rooted. "Unknown Sources" is just to prevent you from downloading apps that are not from the market. If you go to install an app from a non market source that you trust, your phone will prompt you to check the box if it is not already done.

D8TA

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just tried the temporary root on my Droid 2 Global and when I try to use Titanium Backup it states I don't have root so it can't run.

What is the best way to root my Droid 2 Global and make a backup of the current system in the event I have to take it back to Verizon. I will say this phone suck! Locks up and reboots by itself and that is the reason I want to try a different non-Motorola ROM.

D8TA

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The permanent root seemed to do the trick. I am now rooted and going to find some information on Titanium Backup to create a backup in the event I really screw things up. Then off to find a better ROM in hops to eliminate all the reboots and lock ups I have been experiencing on this phone.

Valdar#AC

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I installed Fission Rom Manager on my droid 2 after rooting it. After i opened up the list downloads section, i downloaded the latest fission rom which was Fission 2.6.1 Black Edition and when i put it in the install queue and had it install, it just restarted my phone. It didn't install at all. I am trying to figure out what i need to do now.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed Fission Rom Manager on my droid 2 after rooting it. After i opened up the list downloads section, i downloaded the latest fission rom which was Fission 2.6.1 Black Edition and when i put it in the install queue and had it install, it just restarted my phone. It didn't install at all. I am trying to figure out what i need to do now.

Have you downloaded Bootstrap Recovery? If so, you need to go in and click bootstrap recovery before flashing the ROM.

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So, when I try to download the apk file (from any site, it seems), my computers tells me it's a virus risk and refuses to download it. Is that just the nature of the file extension, or am I actually encountering corrupt files?

I'm totally new to this, so sorry if this is a lame question. I'm trying to root so I can use setcpu to underclock my D2G to it will stop getting so hot all the time!

Update: NM! I downloaded it on an old computer without virus protection, and transferred it from there. Success!! Whoo!

Last edited:

root hopeful

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Pre root prep

I am new at this, so I am wondering just what exactly do I need to do to prep my droid2 before using this particular rooting method. Apps I may need to install aside from the two posted in the article, and so on... I am not completely sure how to make sure I don't lose any of my important items currently on my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, can the rooting be reversed shouldo choose to do so later?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I am new at this, so I am wondering just what exactly do I need to do to prep my droid2 before using this particular rooting method. Apps I may need to install aside from the two posted in the article, and so on... I am not completely sure how to make sure I don't lose any of my important items currently on my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, can the rooting be reversed shouldo choose to do so later?

Really the only thing you need to root z4root. Depending on what you plan to do after, you may need other apps. Just choose permanent root and you can unroot if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez