Advice wanted on waiting for Bionic

JoshuaG35

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

I currently have an Env Touch dumb phone. I have been wanting to upgrade to my first smart phone SO bad. I can get a OG Droid for $60 and use that to tide me over until I get the Bionic or SGS2 or possibly hold out long enough for the Nexus Prime. Would you guys say its better to save my money and wait patiently for possibly 1-3 months or get into the Android game with the OG Droid? Is it worth getting the OG Droid at this point for a few months?

Thanks for your input!!

Covington

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello mate, I, like you, have an Env touch. Had it for 2 years so far and I would suggest you wait until Sept when the Bionic is released. Pass on the OG because with the Bionic or SGS2 as your first smartphone your mind will be blown by all the amazing things your Env could never do! I've played around with my brothers X and its astonishing! Wait until September and you wont be sorry.;)

robwilldominate

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

I currently have an Env Touch dumb phone. I have been wanting to upgrade to my first smart phone SO bad. I can get a OG Droid for $60 and use that to tide me over until I get the Bionic or SGS2 or possibly hold out long enough for the Nexus Prime. Would you guys say its better to save my money and wait patiently for possibly 1-3 months or get into the Android game with the OG Droid? Is it worth getting the OG Droid at this point for a few months?

Thanks for your input!!

I have the Touch, as well. It wouldn't hurt to try out the OG Droid while you wait for the right phone. Why didn't you get the Droid earlier and lock in the unlimited plan or do you already have it with another line?

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Go for it. I believe you will enjoy the OG droid until the bionic comes. You can always resell it and get most or all of your money back.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Droid for 60 bucks? That would hold me over and well within my budget... That's what you gotta ask yourself... do you have the budget? 60 bucks doesn't sound like a big deal when you're about to drop 300 for a bionic soon.

You can help justify the purchase by making lunches or your own coffee in the morning. making my own coffee before work has saved me roughly $115 a month.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Droid for 60 bucks? That would hold me over and well within my budget... That's what you gotta ask yourself... do you have the budget? 60 bucks doesn't sound like a big deal when you're about to drop 300 for a bionic soon.

You can help justify the purchase by making lunches or your own coffee in the morning. making my own coffee before work has saved me roughly $115 a month.

I did that and started rolling my own cigarettes. It's like I got a promotion.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends. If $60 is a big deal and better spent on other things in life then you could wait, although you should be able to turn around, sell it and get your money back.

I would have said yes, definitely buy it, had it been a month ago, to lock in unlimited data.

The OG Droid will be a bit slow and sluggish, unless you root and overclock and put a custom ROM on it. If you have NO interest in Rooting and flashing new ROM's to your phone, I would say don't bother with the Droid 1 at this point.

If the money isn't a big deal, and you plan on ROOTing, and trying out some custom ROMs and OC kernels then I would say go for it! It would be a great phone to learn Android and to Flash and customize. It would certainly be less scary then learning on a new $600 phone, and it might be a while before the Bionic is rooted anyway.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Would you quit smoking for 3 months if it saved you enough money for your dream phone?

I would like to money or not. Have tried several times. Long ago I got 6 months into it and start back. Last year two month then started back. First couple weeks I trying this is hard. My brain feels like it lacks oxygen and my body just freaks out. Smoking is a horrible habit and I am very addicted.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I would like to money or not. Have tried several times. Long ago I got 6 months into it and start back. Last year two month then started back. First couple weeks I trying this is hard. My brain feels like it lacks oxygen and my body just freaks out. Smoking is a horrible habit and I am very addicted.

God speed to ya, it got my grandfather, thankfully we were able to help my dad stop.

robwilldominate

May 25, 2011
Visit site

That sounds awful. Sorry to hear that.

I agree with others that if the $60 isn't that big of a deal it would be a great phone to get started with. I mean it is still an upgrade on the Touch. I don't see much downside with a little hands on experience.

JoshuaG35

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello mate, I, like you, have an Env touch. Had it for 2 years so far and I would suggest you wait until Sept when the Bionic is released. Pass on the OG because with the Bionic or SGS2 as your first smartphone your mind will be blown by all the amazing things your Env could never do! I've played around with my brothers X and its astonishing! Wait until September and you wont be sorry.;)

You make a good point. Going from an Env Touch to a Bionic would be an amazing upgrade. It would also be a completely fresh experience as well.

$60 isn't a big deal at all to drop on the Droid. I do wish I considered this earlier to lock into unlimited data, but I thought I would be able to lock into unlimited data by having unlimited data already on the Env Touch. I wish I did more research prior and realized you need a 3G Smart phone unlimited data plan to lock into it.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
my $.02 - get the OG and root that b'!!! once you start flashing roms, time will just fly by and the Bionic/GS2/Prime will be here before you know it. plus, i'd much rather experiment with rooting and flashing on a $60 phone, as opposed to trying it out for the 1st time on a $300 phone.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The OG Droid I think is a great stepping stone to ease yourself into android os. Stock firmware gives you a sense of what a vanilla android os really is. It has a good open platform for customization. Easy to root. Tons of custom froyo and gingerbread roms. Unlocked bootloader to give you some experience to change your kernels, mostly for the purpose of processor preformance. Kernels made/modded by several developers in different flavors. You can choose kernels that have different max speed, voltages. Lots of people use a low voltage kernel because it helps increase battery life. Every phone is slighty different so not all can handle an extreme low voltage high overclock so you have to gradually play with it.

It would be a cheap learning tool that would increase your ability to learn a new device quickly in respect to modding.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
my $.02 - get the OG and root that b'!!! once you start flashing roms, time will just fly by and the Bionic/GS2/Prime will be here before you know it. plus, i'd much rather experiment with rooting and flashing on a $60 phone, as opposed to trying it out for the 1st time on a $300 phone.

Agree. Just flashed PE v7.0 (2.3.5) its purdy nice.

Sent from my Droid

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I would say save that $60 for something else you would like (like part of that Bionic, or camping gear, or a video game, or a nice dinner with your significant other). You've already been with the env for a few years, what's another month or two?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana