App Storage On SD Card

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with apps that are stored on the sd card disappearing when the phone is shutdown and restarted?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

devoid99

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've had the same issues. I've had to download them a couple of times. Not sure what the issue is. I thought it was just Amazon app purchases, but it's happened with regular Market purchases also. Overall, happy with the new phone, but didn't have this issue with OG Droid. :-\

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Fyi stop moving apps to SD you have dedicated app memory on the phone. There is no need for apps2sd. So stop it.

lehthanis

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried to move my key ring app data from sd-ext to sd and the move failed...which then deleted the original data from the sd-ext...this frustrated me extremely! I thought I had lost all my cards...but luckily they were still on my OG Droid. Be careful if you bring over an existing SDCard to replace the built in one. I had a 32Gb from my wifes insuranced TBolt in my OG Droid...when I found out the bionic only had 16...I swapped before activating.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I found out what the problem is....

All of you old data is still there on the card.. what happens is your old card files are in the mnt directory named: sdcard-ext

The problem is that the phone creates a NEW directory called: sdcard and renames your old stuff: sdcard-ext

This is a nightmare if you have alot of data.... have to move everything over from sdcard-ext to sdcard folder and then and only then will your phone see all your old files.

You can NOT simply rename sdcard-ext to sdcard and OVERWRITE the new directory the phone creates. I have tried.... anyone have any better ideas?

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
BTW this not only affects apps on sd (which i do not do anyway) but any backups of app files or settings as well.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
One last observation. Even upon popping out the sd card the folder sdcard remains a browsable directory on the phone telling me that that folder is some sort of internal memory labeled sdcard which makes NO SENSE at all.

And the fact that our sd cards read as sdcard-ext (external) that furthers this belief.

Why would they do this?! This just creates alot of file moving and time, and back again if you ever get another phone down the line.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What is the solution than? I like being to store Apps on my sd card and still be able to use them too.

thegadgetguroo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My question is this...seeing as the bionic has 16g of internal memory but only 8g is available, that does not seem to leave a lot of memory if you use a lot of apps. So if you don't transfer your apps to your sd card how will that affect internal memory. Are those apps stored in a different partition or something? I currently show only 8g of total memory and about 5g of available memory. I've only installed a few apps so far and none that are extremely large in size.

robkort

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Most devices only reserve around 2Gb of space for applications. You will never fill it up. Remember transfer the ones you can to an SD card and you will be more than fine.

Sent from my stock Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapa :)

thegadgetguroo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
That's what I've been doing, but I also seem to have lost a bunch of apps I downloaded when I had the guy at bestbuy transfer my files from my DROID X to my Bionic(will never do that again). Plus I see some people saying you should not transfer your apps to sd card.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think u guys are missing the point.... this is not only a problem for apps to sd but a MAJOR problem for any app that you may back up settings etc to.

Example:

You have a reminder program that you have 20 reminders set in. You decide to archive reminders to sd to install on a replacement phone. They go in the sdcard directory by default. That's the way ALL apps are written.... guess what, you just archived them to internal storage NOT your real sd card.

Example 2:

You use keyring to store all your store scan cards. You hit archive to move these to another phone. They will NOT be saved on your sd card. Instead they will be in internal storage.

Worst part about this is if you get a replacement phone and go about backing up all your stuff to sd as I do a ritual of when switching phones, it will all be saved internally and WIPED when you perform a factory reset. You will not have that data nor will it be recoverable.

robkort

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
@ thegadgetguroo

Correct me if I'm wrong but, there is no way to transfer any of your apps to a new phone unless you are rooted on both phones and have an application like Titanium to save your apps to and SD card. And that is probably why you lost them, when you move an application to SD on a stock phone, you are only moving a portion of it. Other than been rooted you are stuck doing it the old fashion way, one by one.

Sent from my stock Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapa :)

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Again, im not talking about moving an entire app. Im talking about exporting DATA out of an app to import into same app on another phone. The app will automatically and only look in the /sdcard directory finding nothing because the data is actually in the /sdcard-ext folder

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
From what I can see this is the issue.

First of all if you use AppstoSD it only sees SD-EXT which it calls media storage. You should not store apps there, they should be stored on the phone.

There seems to be three kinds of storage here.

PHONE Storage
SD-Ext Storage
SD Storage

I found that my entire SD card was empty last night because it was sticking everything in SD-ext which is really a part of internal storage which fills up fast.

However I see no application out there to tell me how much memory each section is using.

Does this make sense?