My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I should take a perfected program like K-9, change to MailDroid which is still being fixed up and pay $17.99 (you read it right) to get rid of ads.

Cold day in hell.

Whatever. That's your opinion. I tried K9 and thought it was a piece of crap. could never get it to work properly and couldn't get any support. For me, Maildroid simply works, the UI is heads and tails better, and the dev is responsive to any questions and requests. yeah, the pro version is expensive, I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but I'm leaning that way to support his very very hard work.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
These are my tweaks for a significant increase in battery life:

1) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode > Custom Battery Saver You want to keep brightness as low as possible without compromising your eyesight ( I actually prefer it on 0 in the dark) You also want to put your off peak hours when you usually sleep. AND under Peak hours Turn off data after: set it to 15 minutes. You can still receive all notifications by doing this.

2) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications click sync over Wi-Fi only.

3) Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi settings Then press Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never This stops your phone from switching from Wi-Fi to 3G radio every time your phone's screen turns off. Significantly improves battery as well.

4) Other than those. Keep your screen as dim as possible (what you're comfortable with) Keep your standalone GPS off when not using it. Same with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

1) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode > Custom Battery Saver You want to keep brightness as low as possible without compromising your eyesight ( I actually prefer it on 0 in the dark) You also want to put your off peak hours when you usually sleep. AND under Peak hours Turn off data after: set it to 15 minutes. You can still receive all notifications by doing this.

2) Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications click sync over Wi-Fi only.

3) Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi settings Then press Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never This stops your phone from switching from Wi-Fi to 3G radio every time your phone's screen turns off. Significantly improves battery as well.

4) Other than those. Keep your screen as dim as possible (what you're comfortable with) Keep your standalone GPS off when not using it. Same with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

That's pretty much what I've done. Combined with keeping it on 3g unless 4g is needed, i generally pace at 24 hours on a battery with moderate use.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not buying that polling is going to increase battery life over push. Doesn't work that way on any other device atm.

The wifi tip above is an awesome find though. It should stay on while connected even with the screen off. Wifi should provide better battery over 4g contrary to what is being said in this thread though.

The biggest battery eater should be "display" and not cell standby or wifi. I think these are software things that will get fixes in root roms and ota updates. Just on opinion.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't need #1 since I prefer the auto brightness and I have it charging when I sleep. However #2 I've had, and also #3.

#4 to me is really not needed. GPS isn't used unless you have an application asking for it. Wi-Fi is always on for me.

As far as the person who posted pull vs. push email. Of course we'd all like push better but most POP servers don't support it. I just have K-9 pull based on how urgent a specific email account is. If you have k-9 and look at the battery usage it's never more than 2%.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

How do you still receive all notifications by doing this? You mean if you wake your phone up you still receive notifications?

My assumption is that after my screen has been off for 15 minutes, I won't receive any data notifications (emails, social network updates, etc.) if I were to leave my phone alone for the next 5 hours. Is that not true?

Brandon

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as the person who posted pull vs. push email. Of course we'd all like push better but most POP servers don't support it. I just have K-9 pull based on how urgent a specific email account is. If you have k-9 and look at the battery usage it's never more than 2%.

Are you aware that Gmail can act as a push server for your other mail types right? You can have it check your Hotmail etc.

Use the Gmail app.

Let Gmail poll and push for you. (Don't think it works on yahoo without some sort of fee)

Here you go..

http://www.androidcentral.com/using-gmail-your-own-personal-push-mail-server

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

BagpipePete

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Why does my Droid Bionic use less battery when WiFi is turned on? I turned WiFi off one day in my office and hardly used the phone. Battery at end of day was 50%. Yesterday I was at another site using phone for emails, with WiFi turned on. Battery at end of day was 60%. Usage showed 35% of battery usage was for WiFi compared to a nominal amount on the day it was turned off. How does WiFi work?

Thanks from a newbie.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
WiFi is a high speed local signal.

3g and 4g use your radio to obtain a further signal.

So WiFi will always take less battery to use.

Why does my Droid Bionic use less battery when WiFi is turned on? I turned WiFi off one day in my office and hardly used the phone. Battery at end of day was 50%. Yesterday I was at another site using phone for emails, with WiFi turned on. Battery at end of day was 60%. Usage showed 35% of battery usage was for WiFi compared to a nominal amount on the day it was turned off. How does WiFi work?

Thanks from a newbie.

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

For #2 will I still get my messages on chat clients that use mobile data such as what's app, google chat, ping chat etc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
How do you still receive all notifications by doing this? You mean if you wake your phone up you still receive notifications?

My assumption is that after my screen has been off for 15 minutes, I won't receive any data notifications (emails, social network updates, etc.) if I were to leave my phone alone for the next 5 hours. Is that not true?

Brandon

I'm thinking the same thing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Buy the Vz extended battery and you can go all day without worrying about battery life. There's a special case/holster combo from Vz that works well enough to protect it and also includes a little stand arrangement as part of the case. I believe right now the batteries are on sale for half price. I paid only about $25 for mine - a bargain for the convenience.

I do have my Wifi activated all the time (but not the search for wifi feature), and bluetooth on all the time, too. Way too inconvenient to manually turn these on and off. Email is push Gmail with fetch for my Pop3 servers.

Reactions: cjsmoove

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The extended battery and the case,although it doesn't provide the best protection, equals pure bliss....and it still pretty light. If you wanna wow people with how slim it really is just swap in the regular battery on those show it off days....:cool:

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The extended battery and the case,although it doesn't provide the best protection, equals pure bliss....and it still pretty light. If you wanna wow people with how slim it really is just swap in the regular battery on those show it off days....:cool:
I bought the extended battery, but have only used it a handful of times mainly. If they had a better case out there I would probably buy that and use it more often.