Motorola's claim of six weeks for ICS upgrade

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Now that Google has given out information for ICS, will we see our upgrade to ICS in the six weeks promised?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They never said they were going to update our phones in 6 weeksThey never said they were going to update our phones in 6 weeks. they said they were going to give a list of which phonethey said they were going to give a list of which phones with get I c s in 6 weekss get I c s in 6 weeks

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
As bigv said, Motorola only said that they would give a more firm timetable 6 weeks after the source was released. The currently announced ETA is "early 2012" but we will hopefully hear something more specific soon.

If I had to guess? I'd say we'll start to see leaks in January with a Feb to March release. Hopefully ICS is released with fewer issues than Gingerbread had so we can see a much faster adoption as Gingerbread wasnt really usable (imo) till 2.3.4.

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
They never said they were going to update our phones in 6 weeksThey never said they were going to update our phones in 6 weeks. they said they were going to give a list of which phonethey said they were going to give a list of which phones with get I c s in 6 weekss get I c s in 6 weeks
I also think he forgot to take his meds. Haha

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No, Motorola changed their story after they may their initial statements. it's okay, I don't blame them. Clearly even they realized how arrogant, if not blatantly stupid for making such a claim to begin with.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
As bigv said, Motorola only said that they would give a more firm timetable 6 weeks after the source was released. The currently announced ETA is "early 2012" but we will hopefully hear something more specific soon.

If I had to guess? I'd say we'll start to see leaks in January with a Feb to March release. Hopefully ICS is released with fewer issues than Gingerbread had so we can see a much faster adoption as Gingerbread wasnt really usable (imo) till 2.3.4.

No, Motorola changed their story after they may their initial statements. it's okay, I don't blame them. Clearly even they realized how arrogant, if not blatantly stupid for making such a claim to begin with.

Most likely it will be better to just download a custom ROM, as I think by the time Christmas rolls around, there will be a working port of ICS on the Bionic. Of course that all depends on how quickly they can get a good working port of CyanogenMod going as well, that's the first step.
And yeah, Motorola saying 6 weeks is a little too quick, we haven't even seen the maintenance update yet. I'll say March/April at the latest, February is probably the best bet. And by that time, ICS will probably be available for everyone in the form of CyanogenMod and other ROMs anyways lol.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well as a Bionic owner, I truly appreciate Motorola's attention to details. The fact that they would rather keep their sponsors happy ie. bloatware providers rather than at least roll out a fix for the 4G/3G problem speaks volumes. Add into the mix this complete crap where they did initially lead people to believe they would roll out an ICS upgrade within six weeks, and the garbage they put Xoom owners through with the 4G upgrade, Motorola at least to me does not look like that great of a company anymore.

Their priorities should be fixing the problems with the 4G/3G switch rather than satisfying the whims of the bloat providers.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well as a Bionic owner, I truly appreciate Motorola's attention to details. The fact that they would rather keep their sponsors happy ie. bloatware providers rather than at least roll out a fix for the 4G/3G problem speaks volumes. Add into the mix this complete crap where they did initially lead people to believe they would roll out an ICS upgrade within six weeks, and the garbage they put Xoom owners through with the 4G upgrade, Motorola at least to me does not look like that great of a company anymore.

Their priorities should be fixing the problems with the 4G/3G switch rather than satisfying the whims of the bloat providers.

This stuff DOES take time. In the case of the XOOM 4G, I would think that they had really tried to get that done earlier, but they like to release things that are complete. We're buying products from Motorola, not Sony, they make sure their products work (mostly) before they send it out.
I don't know about their bloatware stuff, but that's why I don't rely on them to work out issues...I've been using custom ROMs for a while now, and when it comes down to it, independent developers are almost always better than the big companies. My suggestion is to either be more patient, or try installing a custom ROM. Motorola will have a bug fix soon, before the end of the year.

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Whats gonna happen to the hard buttons when ICS rolls on to the Bionic? Will they be usable or become a part of the space wasting bottom bezel?

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
My money is on April/May for an ICS update. Even then I may still not want it. Many in these forums love the bleeding edge, others just want their phone to work. The great thing about Gingerbread on the Bionic is that it's fully baked and mostly bug free. I'm not sure I'll want ICS when it first drops. I'm hoping we get the option to upgrade when the time comes.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Moto never changed their story. They made a statement which was misinterpreted, so they clarified it. Moto has done some things lately that they need to be blamed for, but you can't blame them because people jumped to conclusions based on what they wanted to hear.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Whats gonna happen to the hard buttons when ICS rolls on to the Bionic? Will they be usable or become a part of the space wasting bottom bezel?

Google has said that if there are hard buttons that replicate what the on-screen buttons would show, ICS is sophisticated enough to not display the on-screen buttons. So, they will remain usable, with the bonus of more display area where buttons display on a non-button phone.