How's the update?

Nikon777

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, do the folks who are still having problems post-update have early hardware revs of the phone (launch phones)? Based on what I'm seeing in the forums across several sites, it seems like the people still having problems are the ones who bought their phone on launch day or very close. People who bought their phones recently are not having the issues these people are still having post-update.

Yeah ive noticed the same thing. Mine is a newer model bought a week ago. Its working great with the update.

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
So let me ask a question. On the sticker under the battery, there's an "HW" followed by a space and then a letter. Mine has a "B". Could this possibly be a "hardware revision" identifier?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I gave in to the update. at least video performance is better (although I didn't check this replacement phone's video performance prior to updating, so it might be a sample to sample thing). I don't notice any more focus hunting in video mode.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah ive noticed the same thing. Mine is a newer model bought a week ago. Its working great with the update.

My Bionic is from day 1 (HW A) -- It is working beautifully since I upgraded this morning.
1. The camera is now screaming fast - under 1 second.
2. I haven't dropped data all day
3. I've rebooted 7 or 8 times to see if apps remain - they all do
4. Battery life - I can't tell...not yet.
5. Have not seen the "jump to the most recent message after changing the device orientation while in message list view"
6. Have not seen issue where device would power back up after being powered down. Before update it did happen often

I am now very pleased with this phone.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I gave in to the update. at least video performance is better (although I didn't check this replacement phone's video performance prior to updating, so it might be a sample to sample thing). I don't notice any more focus hunting in video mode.

Sorry I couldn't look it up for you before, I hope the update works well for you. If you're not rooted, you can't rename the file, I use root explorer to accomplish things like changing boot animations. I haven't made it ignore an update before.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine is from launch day, "A" as expected. Though I've never really had any issues with my phone. Worth noting I also have been on leaked updates since late sept/early oct.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is HW B. I noticed the app Juice Defender was killing the signal but I'm sure it was how I had it set up. Disabled it today and havent had any signal drops at all. I run 3g at work and wifi at home. Had 4g turned on for about 2 hours with Pandora. Seemed to work without and problems. I plan to run 4g tomorrow all day to see if it cuts out.

crspy

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a Day 1 phone with the update but I'm still getting the headphone wine. Is anyone else having this problem? That's my only complaint about the update. Everything else seems to work great now - 3g/4g handoff & connectivity, scrolling speed, battery life, camera all are improvements. I'm debating calling VZW and having them send me a phone with the latest HW version. I listen to A LOT of music on phone.

they improved it but im still getting the wine as well. arghhhh

xtreme381

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that I too get the wine when it's connected to a USB cable, otherwise it's nice and quiet.

I still get the wine even without the USB plugged in. I was kind of hoping the update would fi it entirely but I guess that was wishful thinking with a Day 1 phone. I think I'm going to call VZW and see if they can send me a replacement.

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I installed the update on Tuesday. I was glad to hear that it cures the black screen of death...too bad it actually doesn't. I got the black screen of death the following day. Awesome. Just ordered my Galaxy Nexus this morning and the Bionic is going up on ebay...that's MY version of a proper software update. Problem solved.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Since the update,
It appears that my Bionic (HW "A") no longer has any issues at all - Camera app rocks (Super fast now where it was super slow and has many more options).

The Bionic is now the best smartphone I've ever had: LG Dare (If you can call it a Smart Phone), BB Storm (Buggy), DROID (Awesome), Droid2 (Returned for the X), DroidX (Loved the size and speed) and now the BIONIC (Same size and more speed - Lots easier to see outside).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since the update,
It appears that my Bionic (HW "A") no longer has any issues at all - Camera app rocks (Super fast now where it was super slow and has many more options).

The Bionic is now the best smartphone I've ever had: LG Dare (If you can call it a Smart Phone), BB Storm (Buggy), DROID (Awesome), Droid2 (Returned for the X), DroidX (Loved the size and speed) and now the BIONIC (Same size and more speed - Lots easier to see outside).

:) "buggy" doesn't adequately describe the Storm! stinking pile of dog doo is closer to the truth. I had the original and returned it on the 8th day. kept rebooting and so did my wife's. pieces of crap! at her insistence we tried the storm 2. still had problems and returned them. months later, gave them another go, and they were a bit better (software revisions), but still no great shakes. hardly any apps, slow, internet speeds atrocious, even on fast wifi. ugh!! (then again, that's what I get for listening to her)

Worst item I ever owned.

bradvoy

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I posted a couple of days ago about how the update had not helped with the connection dropping and rebooting I was seeing with my Bionic. It was especially bad when I turned on the wifi hotspot; then the phone would nearly always reboot within 10-40 minutes. After seeing that the update didn't help I talked to Verizon and they sent me a new Bionic. It arrived today. I've now been streaming music through the hotspot for almost 3 hours without a single data drop or reboot! That is far longer than it ever worked with the hotspot enabled with my original Bionic.

My original Bionic was hardware revision A, and so is the new one. So I don't know what accounts for the difference. The new one is running 5.5.886. So the update is not a factor here.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted a couple of days ago about how the update had not helped with the connection dropping and rebooting I was seeing with my Bionic. It was especially bad when I turned on the wifi hotspot; then the phone would nearly always reboot within 10-40 minutes. After seeing that the update didn't help I talked to Verizon and they sent me a new Bionic. It arrived today. I've now been streaming music through the hotspot for almost 3 hours without a single data drop or reboot! That is far longer than it ever worked with the hotspot enabled with my original Bionic.

My original Bionic was hardware revision A, and so is the new one. So I don't know what accounts for the difference. The new one is running 5.5.886. So the update is not a factor here.

sounds similar to my story. launch day bionic always sucked at connectivity. replacement (refurb) is STELLAR. night and day.

However, both can't stream music via Bluetooth when using WiFi, because then I can't do anything on line. I can't for example, use wifi to watch netflix with the audio streaming via BT, or netflix will buffer endlessly. if i turn off wifi, all is well when streaming audio via 3/4G. I can leave BT enabled, and that doesn't affect data flow; it's just when the music is actually playing and WiFi is active that the problem with data reception fails.