Been thinking about rooting my new Droid Bionic but . . .

Lupus42

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've been thinking about rooting my new, less than a month old, droid Bionic, but . . .

I need to be able to return it to stock so that no one could tell it was rooted, just in case I need to exchange it for whatever reason. Is this possible?

The biggest reason I want to root. . . all the bloat. I have a ton of applications that came per-installed that I don't want, and can't currently uninstall. They are just taking up space. However, I read somewhere that removing them will prevent me from accepting the Verizon Wireless OTA programing? Is this true?

If so, what's the point? Is there anyway to remove the bloat?

Thanks in advance.

the_animal99

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Pete's Motorola Root Tools can both root and unroot, so that should help you: Droid Bionic ? -How To Root Droid Bionic OneClick Root!. Also, I've done the Forever Root mod so that you can keep root even after an OTA update: Droid Bionic ? -Maintain Root Through any Update (Bionic) with Forever Root!.

Think it is true that you need the bloatware in place to accept OTA updates. One workaround is to use the paid version of Titanium Backup to "freeze" the bloatware apps, "unfreeze" them to accept an update, and then "freeze" them again.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The forever root and released root tool also has options to root and forever root all in one. After you achieve root, make a nandroid backup with recovery and backup your apps with titanium backup before doing anything else. Then you can freeze the bloat. Backing up your contacts isn't a bad idea either. That way, if you have to return to stock for any reason (if an ota just won't take) then you can restore your apps and data, and contacts. You can use the releasedroot/forever root tool to return to factory stock whenever you need to, and reroot and reforever root, before you take an ota.

Tapped on my Bionic running KIN3TX.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with rooting. I rooted my droid incredible and installed custom roms all the time. I wanted to get rid of the bloat and I hate HTC sense. I mostly ran CM7 but it had little bugs and a few minor issues. Also the incredible data/data folder was only 150 megs. That is where a lot of apps store their data even the ones that are moved to sd card. I kept getting out of space error messages. I rooted so I could micro manage this folder.

I have had my bionic for 2 weeks now and have not rooted it nor the desire to. In my opinion motoblur is far better in every way to HTC sense. I don't have to micro manage the data/data folder for the bionic because it is a huge 3.2 gigs. The stock rom has been smooth and does all I want. I like it far better than cm7. As far a the bloatware I ignore it. I don't bother the bloat and it doesn't bother me. There is still plenty of room for any apps needed. Also you can create folders in the app drawer to hide them. Go Launcher's app drawer can hide them as well. Out of sight out of mind.

I can root the bionic in my sleep but and I am not afraid of rooting. It is just the Bionic is running so smooth for me out of the box I have no desire to.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, my bionic was good stock too. I rooted out of hobbyism. I do like having the bloat gone, frees up a lot of ram. And the little features that the ROMS provide are nice.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Freezing it merely deactivates the app and hides it in the tray. Uninstalling completely removes the app.
You can easily unfreeze the bloat to receive ota updates.

You could always backup and restore the bloat if you want to uninstall it. There is just more of a chance of the update failing the more you mess around. I don't care about verizon and motorolas updates anymore. My phone works well, and any improvements they make generally get built into ROMS.