5.9.902 Update

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Got prompted last night as well. Am on 5.5.893 says 5.9.902.en.US has been downloaded and offers to update. I am not rooted. Figure I will go with it but came to here to see what was up....not much info, seems no one knows what's in it??

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
just got off motorola chat support:

brett: i have heard conflicting reports regarding bionic software version 5.5.893, 5.9.901 and 5.9.902...which is the latest, official version to be running

Andrew: The one with the 901 on it, there's no 902.

brett: 5.9.901 is the latest official version

Andrew: Yes, that is correct.

brett: i have 5.5.893 and when i check for updates it states there are none available

Andrew: The 901 is still in the process. Not yet complete. Can you give me your phone number we will keep you posted if we have all the information in the system.

brett: so 901 is the latest official version but has not been released to the public officially?

brett: so i am correct and up to date in having 5.5.893 installed?

Andrew: Yes, you have the up to date software, I will check when will be the full deployment of the 901 so that we can let you know, also give me the MEID# of the phone.

brett: you will check now and let me know now?

Andrew: I will need to forward the report of yours, sorry I don't have the information here in the system, we will check back with you about it, is this your good email address here as well?

Brett, not trying to question you, but I wonder how Andrew/Moto can say .901 is the latest version when just 4 days ago Verizon posted an official changelog saying the latest version is now .902? It was posted right here on AC, here's the link:

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-droid-bionic-ota-rolling-out-fixes-bugs-and-stability-issues

As for me, back in December I had d'loaded the limited edition (if you will) "un"official .901 that was only pushed to selected people apparently, so I did not get the notification to update to .902 this time. Here's the story from AC back in December about the .901 that some people were receiving:

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic-gets-mysterious-os-update

Notice in the story that Phil says that Verizon had not posted a changelog.

I had gotten a replacement Bionic right before Christmas when my original took a header into some asphalt, and when I received the new replacement it was running the original .586. Upon bootup it immediately said .593 was available, so I d'loaded that OTA. After that, no further updates mentioned. That's when I grabbed .901 from Rootzwiki or somewhere that somebody posted. But, Verizon/Moto had to release an update specifically for those who had been pushed .901 from .593 OTA, they couldn't leave them out in the cold, hence the two available updates for .902 - One for those on the official (for most folks) .593, and one for those pushed .901 from .593. As I said before, I am very thankful to the folks who post such files for the rest of us, so I didn't have to backtrack to .593 just to get on the upgrade path again. I am not rooted, running straight stock. Although I do wish I could remove the bloat and from time to time think about another ROM, I'm very pleased with how the phone's performing.

Just my story and two cents. If I'm missing something someone please clarify, I make no claims to be any sort of expert in these parts... :)

Brian

Last edited:

Vampy

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So far the only thing I've noticed is my 4g signal seems a lot more stable now, no random drops. Other than that all I've seen is a bunch of crap apps added to my phone that I can't remove. SlingBox, Videos, MogMusic, Verizon Alerts, Apps, no wonder the damn thing was 57 meg, it's all apps no one wants that cost extra to use. I was all excited hoping it was ICS, instead I get this crap. Guess I'm gonna have to break down and root this thing so I can remove all this junk I didn't ask to have installed. I was really hoping to avoid having to root my phone but apparently Verizon is hell bent on forcing it.:(

mikedroidbionic

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
After I downloaded the previous update, the app icon shortcuts on my homescreens for programs that are stored on SD began reverting their appearance to the generic icon. When I delete any app from my phone, the appearance of these apps reverts to their own icon.

I had hoped that this latest update, which I downloaded this morning would fix this problem. I still have this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this problem?

FNETHAN

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
With how easy it is to root (and un root) or either flash back to stock, there's really no reason not to root this phone =) its worth it guys, take off that bloatware and make your phone even more enjoyable =P

black1234

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
i got my update earlier this morn and i dont know what was in the update. if any got the update can you hit me back and let me know what's new? thanks

skeetch79

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Lefty,
Yeah I now have learned my lesson to never listen to any of the chat bots or even rely on Moto or VZW tech support as knowing what is happening within their companies as far as software is concerned. I apologize for even posting that info and am standing here feeling like an ass for even believing it.

I never really believe the weathermen when it comes to predicting snow - they predict a dusting you get a foot, when they predict a foot you get a dusting - the only way to tell how much snow you actually get is after the storm....so basically anymore I'll read the rumors about software updates, but you don't really know for sure until it is actually pushed to your phone or official word is made.

uiil

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having wonky auto-brightness issues? In a dark room it goes from dim to blinding for no apparent reason.

Do you wear glasses?

The sensor may be seeing a reflection of the screen itself and assume the room is brighter than it really is.;)

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Lefty,
Yeah I now have learned my lesson to never listen to any of the chat bots or even rely on Moto or VZW tech support as knowing what is happening within their companies as far as software is concerned. I apologize for even posting that info and am standing here feeling like an ass for even believing it.

I never really believe the weathermen when it comes to predicting snow - they predict a dusting you get a foot, when they predict a foot you get a dusting - the only way to tell how much snow you actually get is after the storm....so basically anymore I'll read the rumors about software updates, but you don't really know for sure until it is actually pushed to your phone or official word is made.

Hey, don't sweat it and don't feel bad. Like I said, I wasn't trying to come down on you. Although I don't have personal experience with any of the chatbots at either VZW or Moto, I know we've all heard and read countless stories how they spew the company line from their scripts. Kinda reminds me when US troops rolled into Baghdad, and yet Saddam's PR guy (think he was known as 'Baghdad Bob') insisted that there were no US troops anywhere near there, and that in fact Iraq had been defeating them - Even when our tanks were practically rolling up in the streets into the tv shot right behind the guy! It's the classic, "Nothing to see here, move along!" :D

Know what you mean about the snow, happens every time. Years ago (late 70s/early 80s) here in the DC area, everyone went to bed on the words from just about all the local weathermen: "Just a few flurries, maybe a dusting overnight into tomorrow." Next day, one of the local DJ's called up one of the TV weathermen who had made that claim and said, "When can you come over and shovel those flurries out of my driveway?" We had gotten something like a foot or so! My grandfather used to say, "You wanna know what the weather's like? Look out the damn window!" :D