When doing the 'Software Update' from UI 5.1 to UI 6.0... is it normal to have multiple' Software Update' 'download's & 'install's – if after 5mos?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Um . . . I forget how I got into the [download?] mode and wiped the cache partition, a few weeks ago.
Try this combo , hold both volume and power button for around 20 to 30 seconds it should take u into that mode and I believe volume up to continue when u get to that screen

Reactions: Laura Knotek

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Try doing those steps with you connected to the computer and cable.

Otherwise turn phone off and try those steps
Oh okay, I found this linked to the Odin site: https://technastic.com/samsung-recovery-mode/

. . . it's Volume Up + Power key simultaneously — after connecting phone to PC with USB cable — then release after Samsung Galaxy logo appears.

. . Thanks again for monitoring my lack of progress with this so far !;-)
May I be excused for a little break? I can be back in approx 10 mins. ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh okay, I found this linked to the Odin site: https://technastic.com/samsung-recovery-mode/

. . . it's Volume Up + Power key simultaneously — after connecting phone to PC with USB cable — then release after Samsung Galaxy logo appears.

. . Thanks again for monitoring my lack of progress with this so far !;-) May I be excused for a little break? I can be back in approx 10 mins. ;)
Lol yeah definitely
It's a lot to take in if your not use to it

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sorry bout that. Got waylaid by my Darling Precious Wife ❤️, who needed some help making room for some more canning shelves. She loves to can everything! :rolleyes:
We must have over 40 different flavours of jam preserves! 🍓🍑🍎🥭🍒
And 30~40 jars of chicken stock; and BBQ sauce; and different soups; even 100+ jars of canned water!
. . . the list and shelves go on and on . . . . . . and on! :)

Okay, so, where were we? Why do I need to downl'd this Odin thinga-ma-jig?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So I'm back on the:
. . which is where @mustang7757 's link took me.
. . and I'm reading, I'm reading, I'm reading . .

. . do I really need to dwnl'd those 'Samsung USB drivers' & 'Samsung firmware' that technastic recommends you do - in their 'Quick Steps to Flash Firmware' ??

. . yes, looks like I do. But I've already got the 'Samsung USB drivers' on my laptop, and 'Smart Switch' on my S23+.

. . working thru the download of Smart Switch for PC . .

. . and now the technastic Odin page wants me downl'd the 'Samsung firmware', so reading thru all that, which seems like way too much reading to have to do about: BL, AP, CP, CSC, or Home CSC files !:~\
So I'm staring to wonder.... whaaaaat am I doing? :unsure:

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I'm back on the:
. . which is where @mustang7757 's link took me.
. . and I'm reading, I'm reading, I'm reading . .

. . Do I really need to dwnl'd those 'Samsung USB drivers' & 'Samsung firmware' that technastic recommends you do - in their 'Quick Steps to Flash Firmware' ??

. . Yes, looks like I do. But I've already got the 'Samsung USB drivers' on my laptop, and 'Smart Switch' on my S23+.

. . Working thru the download of Smart Switch for PC . .
Smart switch PC will automatically download the driver's but no harm downloading anyway

Reactions: winmod21

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry bout that. Got waylaid by my Darling Precious Wife , who needed some help making room for some more canning shelves. She loves to can everything! :rolleyes:
We must have over 40 different flavours of jam preserves!
And 30~40 jars of chicken stock; and BBQ sauce; and different soups; even 100+ jars of canned water!
. . . the list and shelves go on and on . . . . . . and on! :)

Okay, so, where were we? Why do I need to downl'd this Odin thinga-ma-jig?
Can never have enough jam :)

Reactions: BerryBubbles

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Can never have enough jam :)
;) Right!
Well, after wiping the cache partition in recovery mode, I'm now somehow back up to 4.2GB [of available memory] again! :) 🥳
Which is really the only gripe that I had about the UI 6.0 update(s).
Except for the [ ugly light grey notification full screen ] . . instead of deep black. :confused:

So I'm still reading the technastic:
"7 Samsung Firmware Download Tools and Websites
by Rakesh Shukla - January 7, 2024"
... page, and where it's explaining about all the "BL, AP, CP, CSC, and Home CSC binaries" stuff.
Though I've already dwnl'd the Frija firmeware tool, which they describe as the best.
So do I just go back to Frija?
Although I don't feel like I've actually dwnl'd Odin yet; or did I? :unsure:

. . no, I didn't; I skipped past the "Odin v3.14.1.zip (latest stable release)" . . so I could install the Samsung drivers & firmware. So I still need to do the Odin dwnl'd.
But do you think should I bother . . since my biggest gripe, the loss of available memory & storage, due to the UI 6.0 update(s), has already been remedied by wiping the cache partition?

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
. . after I unzipped "Odin v3.14.1.zip (latest stable release)" . . I got this weird pop-up:
20240310_174900.jpg 🤔
. . and after clicking OK, Odin3 v3. 14 opens up, but there's no "Home CSC" next to checkboxes.20240310_175949.jpg
. . so still reading:
. . trying to figure it out ;-)

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
;) Right!
Well, after wiping the cache partition in recovery mode, I'm now somehow back up to 4.2GB [of available memory] again! :)
Which is really the only gripe that I had about the UI 6.0 update(s).
Except for the [ ugly light grey notification full screen ] . . instead of deep black. :confused:

So I'm still reading the technastic:
"7 Samsung Firmware Download Tools and Websites
by Rakesh Shukla - January 7, 2024"
... page, and where it's explaining about all the "BL, AP, CP, CSC, and Home CSC binaries" stuff.
Though I've already dwnl'd the Frija firmeware tool, which they describe as the best.
So do I just go back to Frija?
Although I don't feel like I've actually dwnl'd Odin yet; or did I? :unsure:

. . no, I didn't; I skipped past the "Odin v3.14.1.zip (latest stable release)" . . so I could install the Samsung drivers & firmware. So I still need to do the Odin dwnl'd.
But do you think should I bother . . since my biggest gripe, the loss of available memory & storage, due to the UI 6.0 update(s), has already been remedied by wiping the cache partition?
It's better for Android to have memory more full than empty. It's the opposite of Windows. https://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
. . had to change my CSC in Frija, from OYN to CCT. Then the Frija 'Auto Mode' fields populated.
Frija is now dwnld'ing:

[ S916USQS2BXAD/S916UOYN2BXAD/S916USQS2BXAD ]
[ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4 ]
[ U(Android 14) ]
[ 8796.4 MB ]
. . 3 gigs left to go. All on the laptop; I haven't done anything on phone except wipe the cache partition, which brought back the 1GB of lost 'available memory' since the UI 6.0 update . . . of which, you could NEVER convince is worse off for the phone — than not having more available memory! 😜 And I forthwith refuse to even read that article! 🤪😜

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
. . so I guess I'm pretty much stuck. As the Frija firmware tool is thru dwnld'ing the firmware binaries, on my laptop, but I don't know where the file(s) went! :unsure:

Errr, maybe I wasn't supposed to run Frija on my laptop? :unsure: :LOL:

But I do see a [ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4.zip.enc4 ] new 'recent file' in windows file explorer, but it doesn't open, and wants to search the microsoft store for an app to 'always' open an .enc4 file with.

I guess I better re-read everything, and maybe try again later. Perhaps I got a little mixed up.
Gotta scoot out to do some BBQ'ing now. ;)
Thanks very very much @mustang7757 for trying to lead me thru that Odin/Frija process!

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
. . so I guess I'm pretty much stuck. As the Frija firmware tool is thru dwnld'ing the firmware binaries, on my laptop, but I don't know where the files went! :unsure:

Errr, maybe I wasn't supposed to run Frija on my laptop? :unsure:

But I do see a [ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4.zip.enc4 ] new 'recent file' in windows file explorer, but it doesn't open, and wants to search the microsoft store for an app to 'always' open a .enc4 file with.

I guess I better re-read everything, and maybe try again later. Perhaps I got a little mixed up.
Gotta scoot out to do some BBQ'ing now. ;)
Thanks very very much @mustang7757 for trying to lead me thru the Odin/Frija process!
I'm back
So Odin extract was good

Frija you download the firmware file to your computer and did you extract it?