When doing the 'Software Update' from UI 5.1 to UI 6.0... is it normal to have multiple' Software Update' 'download's & 'install's – if after 5mos?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm back
So Odin extract was good

Frija you download the firmware file to your computer and did you extract it?
It won't extract. I told it to extract. But it refuses.
I mean, Odin extracted. So there's an Odin .exe that opens the Odin UI.
But I don't know where the Frija firmware download went to!
Again, I do see a [ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4.zip.enc4 ] new 'recent file' in windows file explorer, but it doesn't open, and wants to search the microsoft store for an app to 'always' open an .enc4 file with.

And when I click on the 'Frija.exe' . . it just opens the Frija tool again. So I don't know where all this went to:
[ S916USQS2BXAD/S916UOYN2BXAD/S916USQS2BXAD ]
[ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4 ]
[ U(Android 14) ]
[ 8796.4 MB ]
. . and that [ SM-S916U_1_20240131074110_izexpm9kxz_fac.zip.enc4.zip.enc4 ] file doesn't open. :confused:
. . and I'm a'gonna be in even worse trouble if I don't scoot my behind out to the BBQ ! :LOL:
So I'll have to sashay back this a'way a little further on down the trail, Pardners! ;)

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Usually when it ready to install to your computer it will show pop-up of the file and if you want to change the name and where it's going

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry. But I CANNOT give a "Like" to that statement ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It simply goes against every fiber of my Windows-experienced body! :D
What Laura was referring to is Ram of the device not storage
RAM and storage are not the same, and I was indeed referring to RAM. I thought you meant you had around 4 GB RAM free, as I do on my device. Screenshot_20240310_193420_Device care.jpg

Reactions: mustang7757

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Try search download folder
Recent places
Documents
I did all three. All I could find, after Frija quit dwnld'ing, was this file, in 'Recents', that won't open – without searching for an app to open it with in microsoft store.

And what about this weird-looking, mostly Chinese pop-up warning?20240310_174900.jpg
. . that pops-up when I click on the Odin . exe

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did all three. All I could find, after Frija quit dwnld'ing, was this file, in 'Recents', that won't open – without searching for an app to open it with in microsoft store.

And what about this weird-looking, mostly Chinese pop-up warning?View attachment 360783
. . that pops-up when I click on the Odin . exe
This is normal in Odin just hit the x or ok

Reactions: Laura Knotek

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is normal in Odin just hit the x or ok
All that Chinese text on the pop-up is normal? It sure doesn't look normal; it looks very strange.
And then when Odin opens, there's no 'HOME_CSC', and the "Tips" doesn't make any sense, i.e. -
"Download the binary" from where? . . & . . "NEW model: Download BL + AP + CP + HOME_CSC" - from where ??? :unsure: Since there's no 'Home_CSC' checkbox when Odin opens!

I feel like I got lost in the middle of it all, maybe cuz I had to take that break. And cuz I still can't figure-out what the Frija did, and where the—approx 5~10 min long—Frija firmware download went to? :unsure:

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All that Chinese text on the pop-up is normal? It sure doesn't look normal; it looks very strange.
And then when Odin opens, there's no 'HOME_CSC', and the "Tips" doesn't make any sense, i.e. -
"Download the binary" from where? . . & . . "NEW model: Download BL + AP + CP + HOME_CSC" - from where ??? :unsure: Since there's no 'Home_CSC' checkbox when Odin opens!

I feel like I got lost in the middle of it all, maybe cuz I had to take that break. And cuz I still can't figure-out what the Frija did, and where the—approx 5~10 min long—Frija firmware download went to? :unsure:
I understand your new to this but believe me it's normal.

Thos Odin slot's can only be filled once you extract the zipped firmware

Reactions: Laura Knotek

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I understand your new to this but believe me it's normal.
Thos Odin slot's can only be filled once you extract the zipped firmware
With regards phones, yes. But not new to downloading via PC's. I was running my own computer-based consulting business since 1994. And have been a national sales rep for one of our construction software companies since 1996.
Demo'ing, selling, installing & training 100's of our clients since 1996 on our software, which had larger than normal amounts of proprietary zipped files and modules and extensions and add-ons, &c &c.
Flying & driving all over the Western US, demo'ing, closing, setting-up & training our clients.
So yes, when everything from links to procedures and instructions has been in normal English . . .and then a really odd looking, mostly Chinese pop-up pops up, with what little English there is on it really confusing, like it's warning me not to proceed....and/or bad things could happen if I do.... then yes, I hope that that will never be normal to me !:~\
Follow this video I made a sticky in the s24 forum
Maybe I did things in the wrong order;
1) I dwnl'd Frija first.
2) then I skipped over Odin . .
3) and tried dwnld'ing Samsung driver's, but PC said they were already installed.
4) then I clicked on 'Download Samsung firmware', and it opened that page that explains the binaries, and says that Frija is best for a swift DL.
5) so then I back-paged to the main technastic page and dwnl'd the Odin zip file, again all of this on my laptop, and then extracted those two Odin files, one of which is the .exe executable.
6) and when I click on it, that's when that strange Chinese pop-up pops up.
. . oh and . .
7) I still can't figure out where the Frija firmware download went - on my laptop! :unsure:

T'morrow morn I can delete everything—with BC Wipe/i. e. DOD encrypted 7 pass wiping (or whatever they call it now)—and then start over, following your video - that I'll watch in the morning as well. 😉
Thanks for sharing it.
And my apologies for my phone/Odin/Frija inexperience! 😉😬

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With regards phones, yes. But not new to downloading via PC's. I was running my own computer-based consulting business since 1994. And have been a national sales rep for one of our construction software companies since 1996.
Demo'ing, selling, installing & training 100's of our clients since 1996 on our software, which had larger than normal amounts of proprietary zipped files and modules and extensions and add-ons, &c &c.
Flying & driving all over the Western US, demo'ing, closing, setting-up & training our clients.
So yes, when everything from links to procedures and instructions has been in normal English . . .and then a really odd looking, mostly Chinese pop-up pops up, with what little English there is on it really confusing, like it's warning me not to proceed....and/or bad things could happen if I do.... then yes, I hope that that will never be normal to me !:~\

Maybe I did things in the wrong order;
1) I dwnl'd Frija first.
2) then I skipped over Odin . .
3) and tried dwnld'ing Samsung driver's, but PC said they were already installed.
4) then I clicked on 'Download Samsung firmware', and it opened that page that explains the binaries, and says that Frija is best for a swift DL.
5) so then I back-paged to the main technastic page and dwnl'd the Odin zip file, again all of this on my laptop, and then extracted those two Odin files, one of which is the .exe executable.
6) and when I click on it, that's when that strange Chinese pop-up pops up.
. . oh and . .
7) I still can't figure out where the Frija firmware download went - on my laptop! :unsure:

T'morrow morn I can delete everything—with BC Wipe/i. e. DOD encrypted 7 pass wiping (or whatever they call it now)—and then start over, following your video - that I'll watch in the morning as well.
Thanks for sharing it.
And my apologies for my phone/Odin/Frija inexperience!
No doesn't matter which one you download the main thing u extract and get them ready, I wasn't meaning you didn't have experience on a PC but new to Odin and Frija and yes it's normal to see that message for Odin anyone who used Odin knows it Pops up so don't be alarmed, I have been doing these types of things on Samsung for long time so I wouldn't direct you into something wrong.

Ok. Check the video out and see you tomorrow.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hiya @mustang7757 — Thought I'd update ya & I'll have to try again tomorrow. ;)

⦁ I started trying to watch your vid this morn, (though kept getting interupted by phone calls &c, then got immediately turned-off by the narrator - who clicks around way too fast, and talks way too fast with bad English) :rolleyes: . . why are the worst English speakers always the ones who must think that on top of their poor English speaking, they should speak so fast that one can hardly keep up with all their fast-clicking/speaking, or understand what they're talking about?!?! :rolleyes:.

Then got side-tracked. Yesterday I got waylaid; today I got side-tracked.
Later on, instead of re-starting the video, I . . .

⦁ Deleted all the Frija firmware tool files & Odin v3.14.1.zip (latest stable release) downloads from yesterday

⦁ Re-read these TCD pages:

⦁ Also started re-reading https://technastic.com/odin-download-samsung-latest-all-versions/ again, as time allowed

⦁ Downloaded the 'platform-tools-latest-windows.zip' > then extracted the contents to C:\adb. > installed ADB/SDK on Windows

⦁ Opened the Windows PowerShell prompt > Connected phone to PC > Allowed USB debugging > Entered 'adb devices' (which are the wrong command instructions, i.e. didn't work, either did any of this: "Also, during this time, the command prompt will return the device serial number with “unauthorized” message. Once you agree to the prompt, you are good to go. You may also select the “Always allow from this computer” option so that you will not have to go through this process again. Finally, you should enter the “adb devices” command again and you will have instant ADB connection between your PC and device.")

⦁ Then figured-out that I had to enter: './adb devices' in the command prompt . .

⦁ Which then finally worked and established a successful connection between PC and device, while enabling the Download mode on phone.

⦁ Re-downloaded the Frija v1.4.3: Frija-v1.4.3.zip (Latest version) firmware tool

⦁ Was about to re-download Odin3_v3.14.1.zip . . but then noticed this:

>>> PROBLEM <<< . . discovered that that my Microsoft Office 365 Office Suite has been corrupted (since the Frija/Odin &c downloads yesterday) & won't open! . . . obviously due to either the Frija tool or Odin or the Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 3.1.21 (x86), or the platform-tools-latest-windows.zip !!!! As I've NEVER had a single glitch of any kind with my Windows 10 laptop in its 6 years of service; never has it ever hung busy, or acted slow in any way or reacted slow for any reason, or failed to immediately open-up anything! It's a very very high-powered laptop, and it's always run just as perfectly as it did the day I purchased it. Until now. :confused:

⦁ Btw, the Frija tool, yesterday, appeared to be dwnld'ing the same 3 firmware updates — as my S23+'s 'Software Update' wants to download. So perhaps there's no reason to even be doing the Frija/Odin download & flash ??

. . . Was a somewhat busy day, so will have to try and finish the video tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help yesterday ! ;)

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hiya @mustang7757 — Thought I'd update ya & I'll have to try again tomorrow. ;)

⦁ I started trying to watch your vid this morn, (though kept getting interupted by phone calls &c, then got immediately turned-off by the narrator - who clicks around way too fast, and talks way too fast with bad English :rolleyes: . . why are the worst English speakers always the ones who must think that on top of their poor English speaking, they should speak so fast that one can hardly keep up with all their fast-clicking/speaking, or understand what they're talking about?!?! :rolleyes:.

Then got side-tracked. Yesterday I got waylaid; today I got side-tracked. Later on, instead of re-starting the video, I . . .

⦁ Deleted all the Frija firmware tool files & Odin v3.14.1.zip (latest stable release) downloads from yesterday

⦁ Re-read these TCD pages:

⦁ Also started re-reading https://technastic.com/odin-download-samsung-latest-all-versions/ again, as time allowed

⦁ Downloaded the 'platform-tools-latest-windows.zip' > then extracted the contents to C:\adb. > installed ADB/SDK on Windows

⦁ Opened the Windows PowerShell prompt > Connected phone to PC > Allowed USB debugging > Entered 'adb devices' (which are the wrong command instructions, i.e. didn't work, either did any of this: "Also, during this time, the command prompt will return the device serial number with “unauthorized” message. Once you agree to the prompt, you are good to go. You may also select the “Always allow from this computer” option so that you will not have to go through this process again. Finally, you should enter the “adb devices” command again and you will have instant ADB connection between your PC and device.")

⦁ Then figured-out that I had to enter: './adb devices' in the command prompt . .

⦁ Which then finally worked and established a successful connection between PC and device, while enabling the Download mode on phone.

⦁ Re-downloaded the Frija v1.4.3: Frija-v1.4.3.zip (Latest version) firmware tool

⦁ Was about to re-download Odin3_v3.14.1.zip . . but then noticed this:

>>> PROBLEM Odin &c downloads yesterday) & won't open! . . . obviously due to either the Frija tool or Odin or the Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 3.1.21 (x86), or the platform-tools-latest-windows.zip !!!! As I've NEVER had a single glitch of any kind with my Windows 10 laptop in its 6 years of service; never has it ever hung busy, or acted slow in any way or reacted slow for any reason, or failed to immediately open-up anything! It's a very very high-powered laptop, and it's always run just as perfectly as it did the day I purchased it. Until now. :confused:

⦁ Btw, the Frija tool, yesterday, appeared to be dwnld'ing the same 3 firmware updates — as my S23+'s 'Software Update' wants to download. So perhaps there's no reason to even be doing the Frija/Odin download & flash ??

. . . Was a somewhat busy day, so will have to try and finish the video tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your help yesterday ! ;)
Hello , Odin and Frija are pretty straight forward no need to install adb studio or use command prompts just unzip those 2 files then once your firmware downloads save to place that you know as a prompt in computer will ask you I think desktop is easier to find then extract the firmware and when u open it there will be like 5 files each corresponding to Odin slot's
Bl> use bl firmware
Ap> use Ap firmware
CP> use CP firmware
CSC u use home CSC from firmware

Hit start in 10 minutes yit will say pass in Odin and see a progress bar on your phone and automatically reboot

You can do this to see if it will Free up more space from all the OTA updates u did. Otherwise u don't have to if your fine with current storage.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
~
You can do this to see if it will Free up more space from all the OTA updates u did. Otherwise u don't have to if your fine with current storage.
Thanks again, really appreciate your assistance and expert advice !;-) I'll try that later today.

So I don't have to do that command prompt window, like TCD advices? The phone will automatically boot into download mode?

Although I mentioned storage, it wasn't the 30GB of less storage (after the UI 6.0 updates - kept sequentially downloaded each sequential update), but rather it was the 1GB of less available RAM (which dropped from an average of 4.2GB available RAM — to an avg of 3.2GB of available RAM), after all those sequential 'Software Update's.
With these 3 still remaining to download:Screenshot_20240312_093629_Software update.jpg
. . . which I think, are the same 3 that Frija showed it was dwnld'ing ! So that's why I was wondering if there's any reason why it'd be better to do the Frija/Odin, or just let the same 3 firmwares DL thru the phones' 'Software Update'.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks again, really appreciate your assistance and expert advice !;-) I'll try that later today.

So I don't have to do that command prompt window, like TCD advices? The phone will automatically boot into download mode?

Although I mentioned storage, it wasn't the 30GB of less storage (after the UI 6.0 updates - kept sequentially downloaded each sequential update), but rather it was the 1GB of less available RAM (which dropped from an average of 4.2GB available RAM — to an avg of 3.2GB of available RAM), after all those sequential 'Software Update's.
With these 3 still remaining to download:View attachment 360834
. . . which I think, are the same 3 that Frija showed it was dwnld'ing ! So that's why I was wondering if there's any reason why it'd be better to do the Frija/Odin, or just let the same 3 firmwares DL thru the phones' 'Software Update'.
Your welcome!

Yeah no adb command or command window Odin takes care of all that and probably best tool Android I've seen , so just clear cache in recovery after the updates keep from previous updates cluttering old files and for RAM like Laura mentioned it's normal to see it like 3 to 4 ram left as Android uses it and clears as needed you have the option to go to device care and under ram turn on ram plus feature which adds more virtual ram if u want things to load up longer without being cleared from ram but in stock it does an excellent job and yes I see no point doing all this with Odin and Frija for your situation but can come in handy to know.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Your welcome!

Yeah no adb command or command window Odin takes care of all that and probably best tool Android I've seen , so just clear cache in recovery after the updates keep from previous updates cluttering old files and for RAM like Laura mentioned it's normal to see it like 3 to 4 ram left as Android uses it and clears as needed you have the option to go to device care and under ram turn on ram plus feature which adds more virtual ram if u want things to load up longer without being cleared from ram but in stock it does an excellent job and yes I see no point doing all this with Odin and Frija for your situation but can come in handy to know.
Do you keep the 'RAM plus' feature turned on?