Problems sending through IMAP server

NorsemanNE

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Running Bionic with the latest update (2.3.4 Version-5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US). I have had this phone for a while with no problems. It is Rooted and has been since day one. Today when I went to send an email though my companies IMAP server off the phone, it failed. Thought noting of it at first. Then I activated the WIFI hot spot and tried to send another email, though the IMAP server, and it again failed. This is when I started to scratch my head. I tried out OWA (exchange) server and it worked fine. Both over the hot spot and off the phone directly. More head scratching... come to find out, it looks like some other server is blocking it as spam. Since our IMAP is an in house server, I suspect this is Verizon. This is the message I get from my tests:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: TEST
Sent: 2/20/2012 8:47 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

XXXXXXXX on 2/20/2012 8:47 PM
550 5.7.1 :127.0.0.10:Client host 166.250.96.78 blocked using 87.blocklist.zap; Mail from IP banned. To request removal from this list please visit http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=166.250.96.78

This comes to my OWA account where I am sending the test, not back to the IMAP account from where the test was sent.

Now, if I go and turn on authentication for the outgoing settings on my laptop. It works just fine, but my coworkers do not see my name, but see the name of the IMAP account. Since several of us use the same account, this could cause a problem.

I am going to go to the website and ask for removal. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks. :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
First of all, just to correct some terms, IMAP is for receiving mail, SMTP is for sending mail.

If you are not using an SMTP server for which you authenticate, it's quite common for mail servers to allow only local SMTP traffic, as traffic from outside the network is often SPAM. (In fact, I'd say it's more than quite common - it's universal.) In other words, an email server will only allow you to use their SMTP server when you are onl the same network, or will allow authenticated SMTP connections (probably using TLS security on port 587).

For more details, see Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, what are your SMTP server settings for the account (which you call the IMAP account) you are trying to send from?