ics update

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions.. I am not very tech savvy just want to confirm a few things as I have had way to many data drops and poor battery life I am ready for ics.
1) I am not rooted is this a problem?
2) how do I transfer a file from my pc to phone using usb.. or can u use zumocast?
3) is the only thing I have to do is reboot phone in recovery and install from there?
4) is there a chance this will brick my phone?
5) are you off the update path if You download this leak?
Thank you again for all your help.

gadgetgeek703

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing the same type of thing with my Bionic. I am not very knowledgable about rooting or flashing roms, and frankly I'm a little bit intimidated by the whole process. That having been said, I am also growing tired of the data drops and have started trying to educate myself on some of these options. I will answer what I can and hopefully it will help. From what I have read, in order to install the ICS .232 leak, you actually have to be bone stock on the .905 Gingerbread build, so not being rooted is actually a good thing. As far as transferring files, I have never tried it. I know that you can access files with Zumocast, but I don't know if you can then save them to your phone after opening them. As far as actually installing the leak itself, there is thread on this forum (ICS 6.7.232 by Ry) that has a lot of info that has been the most useful to me. You can also do a youtube search "Installing ICS on Bionic" and find step by step videos of how to do this. I watched one last night and even with my limited knowledge of it, it seemed simple enough to do. As far as bricking the phone, I get the impression that it is always a possiblility, which is why I'm a little scared of it because I am not completely confident that I can fix it. Lastly, I don't think installing this leak will take you off the update path. As you do your research, you will find that there is also a .235 ICS leak, but I think that .232 is the one most are sticking with. I hope this helps in some way and good luck!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It you're concerned about problems installing a leak, have you thought about just locking into 3G and waiting for the main update? With the OTA ICS update supposedly coming very soon, I've decided to just be patient and wait instead of installing a leak. If the data drops get too bad, I'm ok just locking into 3G. I only have connection issues in certain 4G areas (I travel a lot), and it isn't worth the hassle to figure out how to install the leak and then how to get back on the OTA path. 3G is plenty fast for me on a phone.

gadgetgeek703

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Mooncatt, how is your data connection locked into 3G? The reason I ask is that I don't live anywhere near a 4G area and I am constantly dropping my data (3G) connection completely. Am I having a different issue, you think?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From the home screen: Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode. Select CDMA only to have phone not even look for 4G. (I've heard this option us removed in ICS but can be controlled via an app in the market)

You may be having another issue though? I haven't had any issues with the 3G networks, only some 4G areas. I was under the impression most of the data drops were on 4G and there wasn't any wide spread 3G issues. I could be wrong I guess. Good luck.

Manofsteel927

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I installed the 232 leak and so far so good , it was a really painless process took about 10-15 minutes. I'm just curious how easy / hard it will be to upgrade to a newer version when that comes out.. Any one have any ideas??

tbssawd07

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Just revert back to. 905 then install new version, but before you do make sure that that new version you are able to do so. The new version. 235 you cannot so far.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Mano' if your uncertain about tranfering fikes...which you can do with Zuni or USB, just download a cloud app like Dominic or Sugarsync (sugar will give you 5GB free) on both your phone and PC. You can transfer files both ways all you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa