Droid Bionic guided tours.apk problem

Doug13

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,
New here so I apoligize in advanced if Iv posted in the wrong area. I'v been reading here for about a month or so now and have learned a lot of great information but unfortenatly, didn't learn something quite soon enough which brings me to my current problem/question. :D
I'll try and make a long story short. I have a droid bionic, system version 5.9.905.XT875 and android version 2.3.4.
I rooted about a month ago primarily to remove some of the bloatware programs. That went great! I found the list of "safe" programs to remove on another forum here but missed the part about "freezing" instead of "removing". I know, that was stupid on my part and I admit it. I have no backup of any of the programs I removed at all. I used titanium backup to remove the programs and not freeze them nor did i make a backup of them.
My phone runs/works fine just the way it did before i removed the bloatware but as you can probably Imagine where this is going, the OTA update that just came out fails trying to install. A friend of mine that has the Droid bionic as well rooted his too and removed some bloatware and his OTA update installed with no problem. I went to the market place and downloaded and installed all the programs i could remember i removed, then i compared the programs he had installed to the ones that I had installed and i think i have it narrowed down to one program that i was missing. I was missing the "guided tours" program. I found the guided tours.apk on a forum here and downloaded it. I placed the "guided tours.apk" and guided tours.odex file in my System/APPS directory using root explorer, changed permissions to read write, read, read, re-started my phone but the guided tours does not show up as installed in my programs. I then launched the installation by tapping on the guided tours.apk and click install and get the message " application not installed". I then tried launching the installation from off my SD card and same thing. For some reason, that program will not install.
I am fairly certain the missing of the guided tours app is what is causing my OTA update to fail.
Does anyone have any suggestions on why I'm not able to get the guided tours app installed or any other suggestions on what to do? Or is there some other step or something i am missing?

Thanks in advanced for any help or suggestions!
P:S: sorry to be so long winded, just trying to lay out as much details as i can.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo