Awfully quiet about this phone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They have been losing money for a while. In my opinion a contributing factor to that is the large number of new phones they have been releasing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Got a list? Casually observing, it feels as though Motorola releases less phones than everyone else. Aren't they 7th in worldwide (all) phone shipments?

I think Motorola's problem is that it seems like they've put all their muscle behind phones for Verizon.

DROID isn't Motorola's brand - even though they've made the most phones for that line. People already assume that every DROID is a Motorola and I don't think that's good for Motorola.

Samsung has Galaxy. HTC has created One. Are all phones Motorola has coming going to start as RAZRs?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Got a list? Casually observing, it feels as though Motorola releases less phones than everyone else. Aren't they 7th in worldwide (all) phone shipments?

I think Motorola's problem is that it seems like they've put all their muscle behind phones for Verizon.

DROID isn't Motorola's brand - even though they've made the most phones for that line. People already assume that every DROID is a Motorola and I don't think that's good for Motorola.

Samsung has Galaxy. HTC has created One. Are all phones Motorola has coming going to start as RAZRs?

Are you serious when asking for a list of phones Motorola has put out?

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Are we at a point where that spec doesn't matter that much anymore?

The actual processor might not matter, as long as the customer sees buzzwords like "dual-core" or "1.5GHz".

What if by going with an "older" processor Motorola is able to get a great wholesale price, allowing them to produce the phone at a lower cost?

With that said, I truly expect this rumored device to ship with Qualcomm's S4.

With that being said are faster processors even a necessity for phone function at this point? Are they even coming close to breathing heavy.?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you serious when asking for a list of phones Motorola has put out?

I think that Motorola hasn't put out a large number of phones, like you say they have.

Compare the number of models vs. Samsung and HTC.

Compare the volume of devices vs Samsung and HTC.

Their revenues from their mobile products have increased. They've been trying to slow down their losses. If anything, this supposed "large number" of devices is helping them.

Reactions: jroc

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With that being said are faster processors even a necessity for phone function at this point? Are they even coming close to breathing heavy.?

It might still matter, depending on the user needs. I don't think it matters as much anymore though.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I was curious about that list...and you have a point. Samsung has released more recent phones than Moto combined on all 4 of the major carriers.

Most of Moto phones? On Verizon. They have ZERO on T Mobile now.

According to the websites anyway....

Totals from Samsung, HTC and Moto?:
Samsung - 23
HTC - 13
Moto - 13

This is some of the phones tho; like the Eris, Incredible 1 and Droid 1, 2 and 3 isnt on the website. For some reason the HTC Incredible 2 isnt showing up...oh well. Even if you add the Droid X1, Droid 1,2,3 that still doesnt match Samsung.

Add to that Moto doesnt even do WP7 phones...and Moto isnt releasing too many phones. Maybe too many of the same model or similar. Not diverse enough. But Samsung has them beat for total phones released. What I have noticed is Moto isnt doing too many Cliq type phones anymore...while Samsung has released more of those mid range, low end phones on other carriers.

Maybe Moto needs to start doing more mid range, low end phones again.

Just like with some ppl and what they think about Android vs. the iPhone and it going to Verizon was gonna be the Death of Android...Android exists outside of Verizon. Moto doesnt have a big smartphone presence on the other major carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was curious about that list...and you have a point. Samsung has released more recent phones than Moto combined on all 4 of the major carriers.

Most of Moto phones? On Verizon. They have ZERO on T Mobile now.

According to the websites anyway....

Totals from Samsung, HTC and Moto?:
Samsung - 23
HTC - 13
Moto - 13

This is some of the phones tho; like the Eris, Incredible 1 and Droid 1, 2 and 3 isnt on the website. For some reason the HTC Incredible 2 isnt showing up...oh well. Even if you add the Droid X1, Droid 1,2,3 that still doesnt match Samsung.

Add to that Moto doesnt even do WP7 phones...and Moto isnt releasing too many phones. Maybe too many of the same model or similar. Not diverse enough. But Samsung has them beat for total phones released. What I have noticed is Moto isnt doing too many Cliq type phones anymore...while Samsung has released more of those mid range, low end phones on other carriers.

Maybe Moto needs to start doing more mid range, low end phones again.

Just like with some ppl and what they think about Android vs. the iPhone and it going to Verizon was gonna be the Death of Android...Android exists outside of Verizon. Moto doesnt have a big smartphone presence on the other major carriers.

I hope this next phone isn't a Verizon exclusive in the US. Motorola needs more phones for other carriers here.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that Motorola hasn't put out a large number of phones, like you say they have.

Compare the number of models vs. Samsung and HTC.

Compare the volume of devices vs Samsung and HTC.

Their revenues from their mobile products have increased. They've been trying to slow down their losses. If anything, this supposed "large number" of devices is helping them.

I disagree. Motorola put out too many phones in too short a period of time.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. Motorola put out too many phones in too short a period of time.

On Verizon, maybe. Compare that to HTC or Samsung on the other carriers....especially AT&T and T Mobile.

Think outside of Verizon.

Remember where I posted they dont seem to do too many low end, mid range phones anymore? Would it better to you if they would? Would it make more sense?

I have a feeling if they only had a few "high end" phones on Verizon and more of the lower end kind....ppl wouldnt complain that much about Moto releasing too many phones. That and more of a variety.

Samsung had to release more phones in a short period of time than Moto recently to be up on them by almost 10 phones across the 4 carriers. Bionic, RAZR and Droid 2, 3 owners might feel burned....but other manufactures are doing the same thing. Check AT&T's website....Samsung is Moto over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul-c and Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On Verizon, maybe. Compare that to HTC or Samsung on the other carriers....especially AT&T and T Mobile.

Remember where I posted they dont seem to do too many low end, mid range phones anymore? Would it better to you if they would? Would it make more sense?

I have a feeling if they only had a few "high end" phones on Verizon and more of the lower end kind....ppl wouldnt complain that much about Moto releasing too many phones. That and more of a variety.

Samsung had to release more phones in a short period of time than Moto recently to be up on them by almost 10 phones across the 4 carriers. Bionic, RAZR and Droid 2, 3 owners might feel burned....but other manufactures are doing the same thing. Check AT&T's website....Samsung is Moto over there.

It seems like a lot of people want Android OEMs to be Apple.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Wtf.....this is getting ridiculous. This imaginary phone isn't even going to be special (specs-wise). Why won't they just announce it already? It's going to be on par with all the other top phones already on the market, maybe not even as good. Motorola has nothing to gain from being so damn
secretive with this phone.
I'm just getting frustrated with the waiting. I just spent $50 for a new battery for my droid x because the original battery won't hold a charge longer than 2 hours anymore. What a waste. My upgrade is just waiting to be used......

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wtf.....this is getting ridiculous. This imaginary phone isn't even going to be special (specs-wise). Why won't they just announce it already? It's going to be on par with all the other top phones already on the market, maybe not even as good. Motorola has nothing to gain from being so damn
I'm just getting frustrated with the waiting. I just spent $50 for a new battery for my droid x because the original battery won't hold a charge longer than 2 hours anymore. What a waste. My upgrade is just waiting to be used......

What's so ridiculous about Motorola playing this one close?

If it came out tomorrow, people would be calling Motorola out for supposedly releasing too many phones (on Verizon) in a relatively short amount of time.

Who knows. Maybe they're studying up a bit on the One series and Galaxy S III.

Unless Motorola makes some sort of device announcement at CTIA this week, I don't expect to see whatever this "Fighter" is until the end of July at the earliest.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

I went through the same frustration waiting for the Motorola Bionic. Motorola announced the phone at the 2011 CES and then there was months of silence. I got frustrated and ended up just buying a used Droid X from Ebay. Sadly, there were many loyal Motorola customers who waited patiently for the Bionic and ended up with a pretty meager phone that was quickly displaced by the Motorola Razr.

Concerning the Razr HD, while I hope Motorola hits a Home Run my expectations are pretty low.

At this point I'm hoping HTC provides Verizon with a phone like the EVO LTE - I love that phone but I've read so many bad things about Sprint's coverage I'm not willing to make the jump.

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my bionic. Never let me down once.

And remember the bionic that got released was not even the same thing that was announced.

Reactions: Ry

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
That's sad. I must have been a lucky one cause it is an amazing phone!

Can't wait to see specs of this fighter. Or RAZR HD. Nothing has really been worth using my upgrade.

Its disappointing that the SGSIII is still a plastic POS... nothing has matched the feel/build quality of Moto IMO

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I am torn between the Galaxy S3 and the would be Droid Razr HD. I'm a huge fan of Motorola build quality. But the GS3 is a nice ass phone. Yea its plastic put every early review or hands on I've read stated it feels great in your hand and is nice and light.

Plus the screen size on the GS3 is PERFECT! If the Razr HD has anything smaller then 4.6 then I'll go got the GS3.

Also Samsung has some awesome software features in there that almost sell the phone on that alone.

What it comes down to is if Motorola can't make the Razr HD with at least a 4.6 inch screen decent battery on par with GS3 and a faster chip then the current Razrs...then my mind is already made up.

don.fief

May 21, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is available today, and I really want this phone. Should I wait until it comes out, or go for the Razr Max? Any word on when the HD will be out?

D