Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?

vmamidanna

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Go for Razr HD !!

I had S3 for over 3 months and exchanged it for Razr HD. I could not be happier.

If call quality,signal strength are important to you, the do NOT even think of S3. Other things are almost similar with some better in one and some better on the other.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Can the s3 get battery life like this? I honestly have never had Samsung so I don't know. 3 days with 25% is hard to beat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352772529077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352772529077.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 97

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have triggers that when my screen times out and I am unplugged, it turns off all data connections. Background sync shuts off, brightness is set to smart, gps shuts off and mobil data shuts down. I use the smart actions app from Motorola. I think juice defender does the same.
All calls and texts still come through. I don't see the point of a bunch of apps running in the background unless I choose them to. I would guess I was connected 50% wifi, 40% 4g, and 10% 3g. I dont stream music or netflix. Mainly email, web, gps. Some light gaming also.
Since I took that screenshot its at 3days and 4 hours at 19% battery.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
If it's battery duration you need, go with the MAXX HD. If it's a better camera, go with the S3. I've had a chance to compare the two and overall, it is my opinion that the MAXX HD is the better of the two. Although, the S3 is thinner, they have equal displays. It's just a matter of personal preference.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
An update: I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was going to have my MAXX HD replaced because of a build-quality issue with the metal band near the volume control...I did get a replacement, and although it's better, it's still has a slight imperfection there. I actually had the guy at the store open up a few different boxes (he was very nice and accommodating about it) and they all had this issue to some degree or another. Also, the way the different pieces of metal meet up at the corners isn't perfect. This supports my notion that although this phone is made of really nice materials, the build quality is a little suspect. It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't lead to durability issues over the lifespan of the phone. I think I'm going to stick with it because I like the overall design of the phone and love the battery life. It still feels like more of a top-shelf gadget than the SIII because of the materials and design, but I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with the way the phone was assembled.

I think I can see what you're talking about with the metal band around the volume control and I think it might be by design and not a build issue. If you look at it closely, it looks to be a bit thicker than the rest of the band, almost like there are two pieces to it. I wouldn't worry about it.

gasco

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well here is my 2 cents. I have both phones on my desk now. S3 and Maxx HD. The Maxx is a little bulky to me and I really wish the on screen nav button were a little lower, but having said that the S3 buttons are a little too low and hard to use. I also like the physical home button on the S3 and the menu button as an option. I don't like the recent apps button on the Maxx. Holding down the home button is better IMO. Pictures on the S3 are better and so is the screen. The S3 seems to have it, but I am going to be using the Maxx HD as my phone. I can leave without a charger and not use my phone any different than if it was plugged in. I also travel in a poor sevice area and the Maxx will hold a signal, S3 drops and actually loses service. The plastic on the S3 is also a let down. Searching for contact or the alarm clock function with the google widget works on Maxx and not on S3. That I really don't understand. Removable battery is a nice feature, but I don't see me needing to EVER swap a battery on the Maxx. S3 also slips out of my hand a lot.

And I am really surprised that nobody mentioned that the S3 predictive text AND keyboard are aweful! Moto totally nailed it there.

I also like the home screen on the Maxx better. There is room for 2 rows of apps under the clock / weather widget and the S3 only one row.

There are so many different qualities between the 2 it is hard to pick, but after two weeks with both, Moto has my vote.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Note 2 now (not a choice in the OP I know)

But I saw one today and its amazing, plus it also has a big battery at 3100 mAh. Bigger screen and quad core too, but from what I hear the battery life on that should still be pretty great.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If call quality, signal strength, and battery are important to you then get the Max. If the camera and Samsung software features are important get the GS3. To me the screen quality is about the sane. The Max has overall better build quality but the GS3 is durable unless you drop it on the screen a certain way.

And yes I own both devices.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

Sam K

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I've been going back and forth trying to decide between these 2 phones and I'm still not sure. First the 2gb of RAM in the GS3 makes me think it will perform better than the Maxx HD (even though they have the same Snapdragon S4 processor). Then I like the ability to swap out the battery in the GS3. Then it has a better camera and the premium suite features that came with the Jelly Bean upgrade. Here are the Samsung videos showing the premium suite features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aM7kQ7sCRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7SEBepku-4

The advantages the Razr Maxx HD has over the GS3 are the huge built in battery, built in microHDMI port, kevlar back and water resistant nano coating. However one the biggest advantages the Maxx HD has is for international travelers who will use an international data plan. The Maxx HD also supports GSM on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz and WCMDA (aka UMTS/HSPA+) on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz which will give you 2G/3G data in almost every country. It's not clear if the Verizon GS3 supports GSM or not (I'm finding inconsistent information) but it almost definitely doesn't support international 3G data. The international GS3 (model GT-I9300) supports WCDMA on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz (like the Maxx HD) but the Verizon model doesn't. There is a huge thread on xda-developers on how to hack the Verizon GS3 to enable the international GSM and UMTS/HSPA but you'd be risking screwing up your GS3 to enable it. I think if you travel internationally a lot the Maxx HD is a better choice.

I was leaning towards the GS3 but then there was the recent report of GS3's failing after 150-200 days of use and the possibility that I might have to travel internationally for work so now I'm not sure. Does anybody have any comments/thoughts?

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
To me the GS3 does not seem significantly faster than the Max HD. Samsung needed the second gb of ram because YouchWiz is so topheavy. Motoblur or whatever they are calling it these days is almost stock.

As for the reports of quality control issues with the GS3 remember the GS3 is a much higher profile handset and is selling more than any other android phone so problems will be more common and more discussed.

The international features of the Max are compelling and if you were definitely planning to travel internationally a lot I would say get that one. But if its just a possibility or something that might happen occasionally I would suggest you take a look at Verisons Global rental service which is free and allows you to borrow a global device for international trips.

Now if you will indulge me for a second here I will address something a little less tangible: long term satisfaction with the device. My gut is telling me that if you plan on keeping the phone for 2 years you will stay satisfied with your device longer if you get the max. For that refer you to the forums for last years Razr Max and the various GS2 variants.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I see no reason to get the GS3 with the Note 2 available. Played with a N2 for a while yesterday at a Verizon store and loved the S Pen and it actually didn't feel too big in my hand. Not sure how it is for everyday use being so big, but if you're leaning Samsung you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the N2.

That said, I hate Touchwiz and hardware buttons, and I'm happy with my Maxx HD, although I was happier before the JB upgrade.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Why do ppl hate touchwiz so much?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

There are basically 3 reasons. Once upon a time ( back in the eclair, froyo, and Gingerbread days) it was the ugliest and most poorly designed UI and widgets, but it has come a long way since then. And there is a growing snobbish view that anything that changes the stock look and feel is bad. And filally there is s common misconception that "skins" significantly delay software updates which flat out isn't true. Its only one of many factors.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I see no reason to get the GS3 with the Note 2 available. Played with a N2 for a while yesterday at a Verizon store and loved the S Pen and it actually didn't feel too big in my hand. Not sure how it is for everyday use being so big, but if you're leaning Samsung you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the N2.

That said, I hate Touchwiz and hardware buttons, and I'm happy with my Maxx HD, although I was happier before the JB upgrade.

After installing Nova Launcher yesterday, I'm happier with my Maxx HD. I liked it before, but now I really like it. The phone scrolls through screens noticeably smoother now. The softkeys now really shine as a feature because I removed the redundant on-screen google bar but can still access Google Search/Voice Seach/Google Now with swipe-up-from-Home. Now I'm glad I have a phone with softkeys. I also made some other tweaks that I like with the customization options Nova has.

However, without Moto's launcher you do have to work around the lack of the Circles widget and the lack of the swipe-to-the-left for quick settings. I liked Moto's quick settings, but I'm okay with using an alternative to that because the lag in swiping to the left was annoying. I'm using Widgetsoid to add quick settings to the notifications pull-down instead. There is an advantage to that, in that you can put whatever quick settings you want in there, instead of what Moto picked.

Overall I feel that with Nova, the phone is smoother and more tailored to me. It took me a while to figure out what to replace Moto's widget and quick settings with so that I'm satisfied with the look and functionality, but I think the end result is a better phone for me. IMO, Maxx HD + Noval Launcher > GS3 because of the battery life and softkeys.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11