6.16.211 OTA today

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So about an hour ago I received the OTA update to 6.16.211.en.us (im a stock maxx) It says nothing about what it is. Just states update and is 354mb. I assume this must be ICS. What are the advantages of this besides the complete OS overhaul? I have read so much about problems and such that now I dont know if I should upgrade or not. I actually love my GB and have no problems with it. If I do the upgrade will I lose everything on the phone? I have contacts saved thru google but photos and apps arent saved anywhere nor are widgets and such.
Any help would be greatly appreicated.

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
First, before you select the upgrade, go to apps>help center>before you Upgrade to Android 4.0 and watch the video. Also from the help center app touch the "tips" tab and read up on what is new on android 4.0. How to find the old items from Gingerbread that you have come to enjoy.

Screen shots can now be down by holding the power key and volume down button.
The favorites tray at the bottom now holds five apps

There are numerous changes and you may be put off by them at first but may really like it. Here are just a few changes you will notice right off:

Lock screen access is different but can be modified.
Notification bar is dark now which is better for your battery. You can swipe the notifications left and right to delete them or just hit the X at the top to delete them
There is face unlock now but this is not proven to be very secure
You can create folders easily by dragging like apps and dropping them to a similar app. Say you have facebook, yahoo messenger, twitter and other social apps on one of you home screens, touch and hold one of them and drag and drop into another one. Once you have added all you social apps together, name the folder to clean up icons on your home pages.
Widgets are now located in the app section of the software instead of long pressing the home screen
The software now recognizes printers easily and are easily set up
Camera editing software has been added and it quite cool.
You should be able to take snapshots during video operation
Contacts are now a people app and the format has changed as well.
Settings menu is changed somewhat also

Overall I find the update to be great. The issue I think many will have is that you may have multiple application downloaded that may or may not work well with Ice Cream sandwich so if you find that the phones starts bugging out for whatever reason, then you may consider doing a factory reset. I wouldn't do this right away. If you just do the update, you should not lose your contacts, photos or music or files that are saved to your sd card.
Google voice enhances vocals commands
Swype keyboard still available with improved input

It may be best to perform the download while on Wifi (especially if you are not in an area where 4G is strong) I did my on 4g and have had no issues. Ultimately the experience is much better. Some have experienced issues with battery life or actions but not all of us. If you need help with creating a function, just post on here or do a search for the action on the forums and I bet someone has covered the topic.

Most of all, good luck and have a little fun, but do expect the format to be completely different. Give a week or so to play with what new menu screens are available before judging your battery. You will spend quite a bit of time trying the new functions so the premature battery calculations may not be true to normal use once you establish your personalization

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you much. I have seen the ICS platform before and its nice and I don't mind upgrading but its just all the stuff I have read that scares me from upgrading.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you much. I have seen the ICS platform before and its nice and I don't mind upgrading but its just all the stuff I have read that scares me from upgrading.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Like most advances in technology, there will always be error. Don't be afraid of it, embrace it. There might be a few bugs now, but they will surely be sorted out if they haven't been already.

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You are welcome and like "apquijano" stated, go at it with the intent to embrace the changes. They are much different but after just a couple of days myself of exploring some of the changes I find many that I really find useful and that enhance the capability of the MAXX. I like this phone quite a bit and with the enhancements of the new ICS, I like it even more. Just be aware of any functionality issues you may experience and then see if there is already a quick fix posted here but in case you don't find a quick fix, you might help inform a developer on a change that can be added to any updates in the future to help the functions perform even better.

Bottom line ... don't let the change freak you out. Someone even posted the NEW manual for the MAXX that defines some of these operational how to's with ICS already in account. Might be a good idea to download the new manual if it is not already in the help center app. My husband just got is update on the Skyrocket with ATT. He says, "I already hate this update" LOL I asked why and it is because he is notorious for never reading a manual to do anything. Once he learned a few tips and tricks specific to his device and ICS he has started coming to me to say, can your phone do this? Look what i can do now. Have you seen this feature yet. So it could just be the initial shock of change it is all. Have fun.

susanverge

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I did the upgrade and now my corporate email wont sync at all...it says it is "waiting for sync" and "your email will appear soon" but never does. Any help?????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo