Samsung stuck in boot screen, any way to recover files? Odin?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung A7 (2017) Double SIM that kept restarting randomly, so I thought it might be because I haven't updated the firmware for over two years now. So:

- I downloaded the update, it rebooted and started the system upgrade.
- Gets to 100%, but gave an error: fail to open recovery_cause (No such file or directory). Gets back to the system upgrade screen. Same thing happens again
- I rebooted the phone, it starts the update again, but never finishes before restarting again. This happens for several times.
- Then the next time it reboots, it gets to 25% before displaying an error messages.
- Phone reboots again, this time it goes straight to the Samsung splash screen

It's been stuck on the screen for a while now. At this point, I don't really care about the phone and more just the files. I heard the only way to recover my data is to flash a firmware through Odin, which will delete my apps but not the files. The problem is, I'm not sure what my firmware version and CSC is.

The phone is made in Indonesia and based on the information online, it's most likely XID. The last update I was trying to apply was a ~37 MB security update from 2020, so I think I currently have the second last update.

Now regarding flashing the phone, my questions are:
- I read that only flashing the HOME_CSC will not remove files, is this true?
- Do I just use the CSC option?
- The only firmware I can find on Frija is for A720F while the back of my phone says A720F/DS (Dual Sim), although in Odin mode, It only says A720F. Is it safe to use that firmware?
- If I do get the wrong CSC, will it cause problems?
- I haven't removed my Google account but I assume I can just log in into the account after flashing right?

Thank you in advance, any kind of help would be appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Using a different CSC might not work with your current service provider, you can try to save data with home CSC when flashing but your device is bricked so trying save data might go out the window , did you ever use Samsung cloud, Google to back your device up?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html